Collapse

Best Retirement Community with access to Golf in Southern Ontario

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L8NVR View Post
    Well guys, it looks like I will be moving again, Chesley was great, but too far away from my kids and the city. I am going to Orillia in January. Are there any private courses around ( I can't find any ). I will be near Hawk Ridge, is that a decent place or Braestone better? Any other decent place near? Not more than 20 minutes.
    A friend of mine lives in Orillia, and is a member at Barrie Country Club. 25 minutes from "downtown Orillia", so maybe just outside your radius?

Comment

Weirfan, thanks. I will look into lake st george, couchiching is only nine holes, so thats out, braestone has no range, so thats out.
      smc66. I have played barrie many times ( friend of mine was member there for a couple years ) . Nice course, great clubhouse, but just too far to go 4-5 times a week.
      I think the decisiion is mostly made already, probably hawkridge. It's 2 km from my house and seems to be a decent course with 2 18's and a 9 hole. PM'ed 10101, I think he is a member there.
      Enjoy life NOW ladies and gentlemen, there is no second time around.

Comment

Braestone is fun, I'll play there again next year - they've made it into a solid track to play

I also really liked Scottish Highlands - only 12 holes - and 10 big cups - but the conditions, layout & challenge will bring me back again

A friend of mine who used to be on TGN RC*Q moved up that way a few years ago - he joined Shanty Bay GC for next season - likes the Men's Night there
        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by L8NVR View Post
          Weirfan, thanks. I will look into lake st george, couchiching is only nine holes, so thats out, braestone has no range, so thats out.
          smc66. I have played barrie many times ( friend of mine was member there for a couple years ) . Nice course, great clubhouse, but just too far to go 4-5 times a week.
          I think the decisiion is mostly made already, probably hawkridge. It's 2 km from my house and seems to be a decent course with 2 18's and a 9 hole. PM'ed 10101, I think he is a member there.
          I think you will like Hawk Ridge, it has good holes and was always in good shape when i played it.

you are smart to keep it close as Proximity is important , makes things easier and more enjoyable not to mention will increase your use of the facilities. My course is 5 mins and i played more rounds and used the facilities more this year than I have played since 1991. I love the ability to look outside and say, hmm, gonna go play 9, or hit some balls, or putt/chip

If you have a drive 30 mins to and from your course you will most definitely get less usage. Then there is the cost in time, gas, vehicle wear and tear.
          30 mins each way , and 60 rounds a year is 60 hrs of extra driving time and if you place a value on your time its a big additional cost.
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Ballantrae Golf and Country Club. A 'gated' community at Markham Rd and Aurora Rd. Detached bungalows ranging from the mid $600's to over $1 million. A large, fully equipped recreation centre for residents (with outdoor tennis courts). A shopping plaza with a Tims and a medical office opening adjacent to it. A very good Carrick designed course winding through the community, with a nice clubhouse. Monthly maintenance fees of around $500 including snow removal, lawn and garden maintenance and use of the recreation facilities.

Just outside of the hustle and bustle of the GTA but around 15 minutes from Newmarket or Markham.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
              Ballantrae Golf and Country Club. A 'gated' community at Markham Rd and Aurora Rd. Detached bungalows ranging from the mid $600's to over $1 million. A large, fully equipped recreation centre for residents (with outdoor tennis courts). A shopping plaza with a Tims and a medical office opening adjacent to it. A very good Carrick designed course winding through the community, with a nice clubhouse. Monthly maintenance fees of around $500 including snow removal, lawn and garden maintenance and use of the recreation facilities.

Just outside of the hustle and bustle of the GTA but around 15 minutes from Newmarket or Markham.
              Who owns the golf course? Is there any guarantee it doesn't get ploughed under when they need land for more houses?

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post

Who owns the golf course? Is there any guarantee it doesn't get ploughed under when they need land for more houses?
                The developer (Schickedanz), still owns the land and rents out management of the course. It would probably be very difficult to plow it under due to the large storm ponds (off hand I think that there are 7), etc that the course is built around.

Development might be constrained by the fact that the community operates its own sewage/waste facility and therefore the number of houses is probably limited by the capacity of this facility.

Of course there are no permanent guarantees, but development within that community ended a number of years ago. I suppose that the concern is that in the future it might see another Glenway situation?

Comment

Time to bump this thread. Those who posted about Orillia, Peterborough etc what do you all think now that you're settled there? Any other area suggestions with lots of golf hopefully near water?
                  Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
                  Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
                    Time to bump this thread. Those who posted about Orillia, Peterborough etc what do you all think now that you're settled there? Any other area suggestions with lots of golf hopefully near water?
                    Port Perry ticks a few boxes.

- small town of just under 10,000 right on the shores of Lake Scugog (good fishing)
                    - Lots of golf course options within 15-30 min
                    - decent local hospital with access to larger ones in Oshawa and Newmarket if needed
                    - only about an hour drive to TO
                    - plenty of retirement homes, assisted living facilities, and retirement communities (good for those looking for the longer term)

We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                    Srixon Star XV
                    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
                      Kingston. Right on the water (good boating / sailing - easy access to St. Lawrence River, Lake Ontario and Rideau canal). Some good golf (Cataraqui) and a few other options available. Good healthcare (teaching hospital), reasonable cost of living, good via rail service back to GTA, close to lots of cottaging areas.

Comment

Anyone have experience with Riverbend? (London) gated, private, golf community. Course is fantastic.

Comment

I am still in Orillia and have to admit, I am thoroughly enjoying it. Nice place, nice people, I am playing out of HawkRidge. Have joined up with some great guys there. Nice clubhouse. The 2 courses are pretty good and the 9 hole par 3 is excellent. An awful lot of value for the money. Lots to do around here if you wish. I joined the Legion here so I can play snooker again and play a lot of pool at the local pool hall. Housing is still reasonable here but rising quickly. Excellent Boating, Skiing and snowmobiling around here also.
                          The only thing that I would like is if there was a private course closer. The nearest ones are in Barrie (BarrIe country club or Vespra hills), and that is just too far to drive for me.
                          Overall, I am very happy here and still only a little more than an hour and I am in the city.
                          Enjoy life NOW ladies and gentlemen, there is no second time around.

Comment

The ultra-temperate, very southern community between Erie Shores Golf, Leamington and the famous Kingsville Golf`s exquisite 27 holes should also be in the discussion. Actually... case closed.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X