Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California Golf surprises.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Golf surprises.

I thought I would put up this post in case anyone is interested in playing some golf in California. Santa Barbara is an area not really known for golf, although there are some classic courses. The Valley Club of Montecito is probably in the top 75 courses in the US but itís private. However, there are some great accessible courses in the area and all but one are reasonably priced.
    the Santa Ynez Valley is 25 miles north of SB in the mountains, right in the middle of wine country. The best and toughest course is LaPurisima near Lompoc. USOpen qualifiers are frequently held here. Itís long from the tips and beautiful. $70/ US. The River Course and The Ranch Course at Alisal are in Solvang. To play the Ranch Course you have to be staying at the Alisal Ranch Resort but the River Course is wide open.$50 to $60 US depending on special deals etc. The third public course is Rancho San Marcos which is situated on an old ranch site along side the Santa Ynez River, surrounded by mountains. At $60 for a weekday round, itís another great deal for such a beautiful course. The other course, closer to Santa Barbara is Sandpiper. Itís got a bunch of holes right on the Pacific Ocean so it has a Pebble Beach, Torrey Pines feel to it. Itís a beauty but expensive....$180 a round. Ouch. Itís on the west side of SB in Goleta, on the western border of UC Santa Barbara; maybe the only university with itís own beach. If youíre into baseball, UCSB has a great program and 6 bucks gets you a ticket and a hotdog.
    Accomodations can be pricey in this area but there are lots of less expensive options in the Santa Ynez Valley. Thatís where the courses are anyway. This area is big wine producing area so if youíre into that, youíre in the right place. Lots of restaurants as well. Food is an obsession out here and you can get a tri tip burrito that would feed a horse for $5.
    Iíve made many trips to this area but havenít checked out the golf until this year. What impresses me most is that these clubs have invested in the quality of the course, rather than fancy clubhouses and other frills.
    They have nice practice facilities, a good, grill type restaurant and gorgeous golf courses.
    Hope this is of interest to other readers.
    cheers

Love reading things like this. My wife has friends I don't like in santa Monica so maybe this works for a trip out there to make it worthwhile . Thanks for posting.
    What's in the TMX Stand Bag?

10.5 SLDR w Diamana Flowerband X-flex
    SLDR 15* 3W
    TM Rescue 17*
    SLDR 5H
    TM M2 4-PW
    CG15 52/60
    Rossa Monza Corza

Comment

Thanks , havent been to SB , checked out the courses, they look great.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

If you're near the San Francisco area, Half Moon Bay is a gem on the coast.

Although I never actually played the course, I was in and around the resort many times. There are a number of oceanside holes and some great views. Nice clubhouse and a Hilton hotel integrated into the property.
        Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 166,096   Posts: 1,738,829   Members: 45,889   Active Members: 233
        Welcome to our newest member, grants.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
        X