Collapse

Tarandowah

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarandowah

I couldn't find the old thread. I'm a member at Tarandowah again this season and thought I'd write an update on course conditions as I see it's back on Underpar. The course is in great shape, was obviously a very wet spring which has really made the fescue thick. Greens are great and the fairways are also in nice shape. My only complaint as always are the bunkers.

They have tried to maintain them but some are back to not enough sand with the tarps showing. It will be a never ending battle I'm sure with that many bunkers. I would imagine they will top them up again at some point this season. If you are looking to book weekdays Mon Tues is now mens league so it's busier out there on those days. Wed Thur are probably the slowest days. Weekends have been packed from morning to early afternoon.
    Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
    Taylormade R11 15 Deg
    Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
    Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
    Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
    Callaway Diablo Edge Irons- 7-Gap
    Taylormade RBZ- 55 Deg Wedge
    Titleist Vokey- 60 Deg Wedge
    Ping Scottsdale Putter
    Sun Mountain Bag
    Home Course: Pine Knot London

Originally posted by elmeroil View Post
    I couldn't find the old thread. I'm a member at Tarandowah again this season and thought I'd write an update on course conditions as I see it's back on Underpar. The course is in great shape, was obviously a very wet spring which has really made the fescue thick. Greens are great and the fairways are also in nice shape. My only complaint as always are the bunkers.

They have tried to maintain them but some are back to not enough sand with the tarps showing. It will be a never ending battle I'm sure with that many bunkers. I would imagine they will top them up again at some point this season. If you are looking to book weekdays Mon Tues is now mens league so it's busier out there on those days. Wed Thur are probably the slowest days. Weekends have been packed from morning to early afternoon.
    Check the special I posted in HOT DEALS.
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

My only complaint as always are the bunkers.

They have tried to maintain them but some are back to not enough sand with the tarps showing. It will be a never ending battle I'm sure with that many bunkers. I would imagine they will top them up again at some point this season.
      That seems to be happening at quite a few courses I've played this year!

Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

Check the special I posted in HOT DEALS.
        $7.50 per round if you get 20 rounds in, great deal!
        Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
        Taylormade R11 15 Deg
        Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
        Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
        Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
        Ping Scottsdale Putter
        Sun Mountain Bag

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

That seems to be happening at quite a few courses I've played this year!
          I've been saying that maybe courses that can't maintain the bunkers should go to all grass bunkers. I pkayed a course in Edmonton and they had all grass bunkers, just kept it long enough so your shot is still not easy.
          Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
          Taylormade R11 15 Deg
          Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
          Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
          Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
          Ping Scottsdale Putter
          Sun Mountain Bag

Comment

I've been saying that maybe courses that can't maintain the bunkers should go to all grass bunkers. I pkayed a course in Edmonton and they had all grass bunkers, just kept it long enough so your shot is still not easy.
            Hockley Valley doesn't have any bunkers
            Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

Hockley Valley doesn't have any bunkers
              I've never played it, looked up pictures and it looks really nice. I'm sure they don't get anyone not playing there because they don't have terrible un maintained bunkers!
              Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
              Taylormade R11 15 Deg
              Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
              Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
              Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
              Ping Scottsdale Putter
              Sun Mountain Bag

Comment

Bit of a thread highjack here as I understand that Tarandowah is a legit 'links style' course and Martin Hawtree is a magnificent course architect.

From what I understand constructing and maintaining bunkers is an extremely expensive process/cost. And
                adding them, particularly to parkland style courses' is perhaps not in keeping' with their origins. Therefore I would rather see 'waste' or grass bunker, particularly in lower end courses. Converting from sand should reduce maintenance/construction costs and possibly even improve the pace of play. To whit, the explanations below:

'Early golf developed on links land, where sand blew across the course and 'burns' (small rivers) ran across it to the sea. In time these were shaped into the hazards that they are today, especially the sand, putting it in pits called bunkers. Bunkers may also have been inspired by the quarry pits which proliferated on many links, such as Aberdeen, Bruntsfield and Gullane.'
                http://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/o...-terms/bunker/

Gordon Moir, links manager, R&A of St. Andrews: You had these sand dunes, right? Right. The sheep would burrow down behind them to take shelter from the wind. Over time, these areas hollowed out to form the bunkers.
                Andy Mutch, museum director, USGA Golf House: St. Andrews was a rabbit farm, and some historians contend that rabbits played an important role in the development of golf. Rabbits tend to dig holes in the finest grassy areas, which they then flatten out with their big feet. Over time, those areas became the putting greens
                .'

Who came up with this game, anyway?
                Glen Waggoner, golf editor, ESPN The Magazine: The shepherds. What shepherds? The very bored shepherds. They invented the game. They used herding sticks to whack petrified hunks of sheep dung into the rabbit holes. It's really a very silly game.
                http://www.espn.com/magazine/vol4no14answerguy.html

These holes in the ground (pits) were sheltered from the cold Scottish breezes, sheep would take refuge in these areas. Thus the holes expanded. When this land came to be used for golf pursuits, it was often too much hard work and time for grass to grow back. Hence the locals took advantage of the sheep's efforts. On these old courses, the golfing greens were sited so as to maximize the bunker's threat to golfer's shots.
                https://www.streetdirectory.com/trav...f_bunkers.html
                Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Jul 10, 2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Bunkers dont need to be these massive areas that theyve become. Fairway bunk every few holes and 1 or 2 buners at less than 100 sqft around the green is more than enough and easy to whip through and handrake daily. People will never complain about a lack of bunkers that are well kept

Comment

Had taken a break from Tarandowah for a few weeks, played the past few days and they filled the bunkers again with fresh sand. I will give them credit, they are really trying hard to maintain them. Now if only guys would rake after they play them....clearly another huge issue! Course is in fantastic shape, best I've ever seen it tee to green!
                    Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
                    Taylormade R11 15 Deg
                    Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
                    Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
                    Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
                    Ping Scottsdale Putter
                    Sun Mountain Bag

Comment

I see reports on Twitter that the course is in trouble - possibly "in receivership" - https://twitter.com/JeffreyKReed/sta...80670862749697

Hopefully not.

Comment

Would explain why there are no Underpar deals posted yet.
                        Would be sad if course was not around

Comment

I hear these rumors every year and they have yet to be true. Can't open that twitter link for some reason? I am a member and they seemed to have their best year yet. The 7 day members maxed out and the course was full all season. I highly doubt they are in receivership and I texted soneone tonight who is part of the family and they haven't heard anything.

Every year I pair up with several golfers who tell me they have heard the course is going under. I guess I'll believe it the day I drive there to tee it up and the doors are locked.

Edit: Their website is down and facebook page appears to be gone so maybe it is true
                          Last edited by elmeroil; Dec 5, 2019, 07:38 PM.
                          Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
                          Taylormade R11 15 Deg
                          Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
                          Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
                          Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
                          Ping Scottsdale Putter
                          Sun Mountain Bag

Comment

Have some passes good until Dec 31.Went there last Tues when it was 11 degrees and was surprised to see no one there and a sign on the door saying closed for the season.They have always opened in the winter when there is no snow.

Comment

Originally posted by gazoo View Post
                              Have some passes good until Dec 31.Went there last Tues when it was 11 degrees and was surprised to see no one there and a sign on the door saying closed for the season.They have always opened in the winter when there is no snow.
                              Yep that is a really bad sign, they always open year round if the weather is ok. I know several members who have renewed for next season too. I fortunately haven't yet.

Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
                              Taylormade R11 15 Deg
                              Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
                              Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
                              Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
                              Ping Scottsdale Putter
                              Sun Mountain Bag

Comment