Collapse

Tarandowah

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwistedEdge View Post
    Shame to hear about this. I'm happy I got a chance to play it this last season, even if it did kick my ***. Only real complaint I had was just how slow the course was. I was warned before I teed off by a member that rounds were going at least 4.5 hours and sure enough, mine ran a full 5 hours. Brutal. Unsure if that's related to free players taking their time or what.
    Definitely not my experience. A friend and me went during the week on one of the underpar deals. We were the first off at around 7:30 am. Played 18 in 2.0 hours. For our replay, the starter suggested that we play the back nine again, since it was still empty and then finish the front last as there were a few groups teeing off on the front at that moment, but then nothing. After playing the back nine again, we stopped and grabbed a bite for 30 minutes and then finished the front off again for a total of another 2.5 hours. So 36 holes in 5 hours, including lunch the lunch break, was awesome and we were back in TO a bit before 4pm.

It certainly is a shame that this course is where it is. I am sure that its location has contributed to the issues they have experienced being in the middle of nowhere. I am glad I got to play it several times and will miss it if I does not survive. Definitely a loss to the Ontario golfing landscape. Too bad.
    Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

As a current comparable would it be fair to suggest Black Bear Ridge. Also a 'top ranked' public course, in 'the middle of nowhere', with reasonable rates?

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
        As a current comparable would it be fair to suggest Black Bear Ridge. Also a 'top ranked' public course, in 'the middle of nowhere', with reasonable rates?
        Belleville is a lot bigger than Avon! ....and BBR is and always has been very pricey

....I wonder how much longer Otter Creek can hang-on?!
        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Please not Golf North. They will over price and ruin the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

Belleville is a lot bigger than Avon! ....and BBR is and always has been very pricey

Was wondering the same thing. They're also into a clubhouse, and in the middle of *near* nowhere. They do have some potential for development though, but not a ton available.
            WITB:
            SIM
            Stealth+
            MMC 4-P
            T4 52
            T22 56
            T22 60
            Spider S

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

London is much bigger than Belleville and Tarandowah is maybe about 20 kms further from London than BBR is to Belleville (I took a look at their proximity ). So yeah what does BBR do differently if they're able to be successful?
              What's in the bag?
              TM M2
              Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
              PING Sigma G Putter
              Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post

London is much bigger than Belleville and Tarandowah is maybe about 20 kms further from London than BBR is to Belleville (I took a look at their proximity ). So yeah what does BBR do differently if they're able to be successful?
                20 minutes further is significant IMO. If a course is 30 minutes away then that adds an hour extra time to your day. In the GTA , it can take 30 minutes to travel across the city but in most places people just don't want that. Personally, I left a course that was 20 minutes away for one that is 5 minutes. If London has other good courses in closer proximity then I'm guessing people choose those options. Also depends on how many other courses that Tarandowah is fighting for business.

London itself might have greater population than Belleville, but the Belleville area gets a substantial amount of summer traffic. A course like Smugglers Glen just up the highway , is busy as it gets lots of traffic from cottagers etc.

the other problem with a course being 30 plus minutes away is it makes it increasingly difficult for them to generate revenues from other sources:
                -range, pro shop sales, restaurant and banquet facilities etc

BBR , I'm told , is backed by a property developer so deep pockets and as long as they are close to break even they don't care. No idea the financial structure backing Tarandowah
                Last edited by Weirfan; Dec 7, 2019, 11:01 AM.
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

It's really too bad about Tarandowah. While I am certainly not the most qualified to weigh in on golf course management/operations, I have always wondered about courses that offer considerable discounts/deals from the onset. For me (perhaps like some of you) Tarandowah has always been that "must play" course a few times a season. At the same time, the deals have almost been too good (not to mention the free same-day replays). I think it gets to the point that people won't even consider paying full price.

Regardless, I really hope that it all works out and Tarandowah stays open.

Comment

Originally posted by RS83 View Post
                    It's really too bad about Tarandowah. While I am certainly not the most qualified to weigh in on golf course management/operations, I have always wondered about courses that offer considerable discounts/deals from the onset. For me (perhaps like some of you) Tarandowah has always been that "must play" course a few times a season. At the same time, the deals have almost been too good (not to mention the free same-day replays). I think it gets to the point that people won't even consider paying full price.

Regardless, I really hope that it all works out and Tarandowah stays open.
                    Some thoughts....

If/when a course is struggling for customers they need to find an incentive to attract them, especially if the course is as some describe "in the middle of nowhere"
                    Discounted green fees , perks such as free replay are a couple ways to do that. If the discounts have continued as you say, suffice to say that they have not generated the traffic required to stop them and charge a more "normal " rate. Most busy courses that offer perks such as this , underpar, Golf now discounts use them to fill slow periods or in the fringe seasons.

Using Under Par generates many guaranteed sales, most deals sell out quickly and pricing these attractively helps draw people from say GTA who might not otherwise make the trip. I don't know what they charge but If people expect to pay say $50 with cart and free replay with UP, how many are going to pony up a rack rate of $70 plus cart for 18 and would people from the GTA , even London drive there for that?

Good customer service goes a long way in attracting repeat business, any negatives ( the comment about staff attitudes) can quickly outdo outdo several goods.
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Some thoughts....

If/when a course is struggling for customers they need to find an incentive to attract them, especially if the course is as some describe "in the middle of nowhere"
                      Discounted green fees , perks such as free replay are a couple ways to do that. If the discounts have continued as you say, suffice to say that they have not generated the traffic required to stop them and charge a more "normal " rate. Most busy courses that offer perks such as this , underpar, Golf now discounts use them to fill slow periods or in the fringe seasons.

Using Under Par generates many guaranteed sales, most deals sell out quickly and pricing these attractively helps draw people from say GTA who might not otherwise make the trip. I don't know what they charge but If people expect to pay say $50 with cart and free replay with UP, how many are going to pony up a rack rate of $70 plus cart for 18 and would people from the GTA , even London drive there for that?

Good customer service goes a long way in attracting repeat business, any negatives ( the comment about staff attitudes) can quickly outdo outdo several goods.
                      What is really funny is that one of their lowest Google ratings had someone give 1 or 2 stars and their comment was basically criticizing it for being a hard golf course as the person noted they lost lots of balls. Um, that's a you problem.

What's in the bag?
                      TM M2
                      PING Sigma G Putter

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Some thoughts....

All good points...I suppose my point was that once you start deeply discounting rounds (we paid $25 with cart a few years back) there is no turning back. But I guess you have to do what ever it takes to keep the doors open. Hopefully they stay operational and can honour/credit members who paid for the 2020 season. Between Coral Creek, Paris Grand and potentially Tarandowah, all my favourite courses are closing.

Comment

Originally posted by RS83 View Post

All good points...I suppose my point was that once you start deeply discounting rounds (we paid $25 with cart a few years back) there is no turning back. But I guess you have to do what ever it takes to keep the doors open. Hopefully they stay operational and can honour/credit members who paid for the 2020 season. Between Coral Creek, Paris Grand and potentially Tarandowah, all my favourite courses are closing.
                          Your points are completely valid. It's once thing to do the occasional Underpar or something with a bit of restrictions to help boost some slower periods, but once you're doing Groupons or Wagjags and the like, why would anyone pay full freight?
                          I've never played there, but from lots of reviews it sounds like a great track. So, if they're willing to do $25 with a cart, how do you go up from there?
                          What's in the bag?
                          TM M2
                          PING Sigma G Putter

Comment

Never like to see a course go under. If it stays closed, this may be a benefit to Otter Creek. Never did make much sense to have 2 in the middle of nowhere courses that close together.
                            I do not see Golf North(why don't they just change there name to Golf World) taking it, unless it is to just run it for someone. They may be in it for the long run, but waiting 50 years for the surrounding towns to fill up would be kind of long.

I hope that the people who have paid for next year can get their money back, but I doubt it.

Comment

fwiw, I was not a big fan of Tarandowah -- haven't bothered playing there in about 4 years (have played it about 5 times)-- rather play Otter Creek, Forest City National or FireRock (and have) if I'm going all that way
                              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by LongLefty View Post
                                Please not Golf North. They will over price and ruin the course.
                                Yep, would be much better having it return to a farmers field.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X