Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pace of play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rodeohook View Post
    Had two rounds this weekend that were over 4:40 one at Crosswinds 8:00 AM Satuday and Oaks of St George 4:00 sunday (putt out in the dark). Is this the norm around the extended GTA now?
    Through my experience this year as a weekend golfer, at public courses, if you tee off after 9am ...anything under 4.5hrs is a win

Comment

Another thing to consider this year. Pace slows down at 11:00 when the cart comes out.

This year that happens at 9:00.

Comment

I've played my share of private golf and the two can not be compared
        Everybody and anybody knows this, except the OP it seems

many reasons for it but just a few where a little common sense , is used :

1. Private clubs are generally less busy

2. Most Private clubs have a minimum 10 minute tee time interval, not always in the pay as you play sector

3. Most private courses will let out groups of 2's and 3's, and accocmodte member requests for such...while pay as you play want to maximize and fill the tee sheet and try to send out 4's as much as possible and dictate group sizes.

4.private club members have a stake in the club, its their club so they more often care about these issues...many pay as you play don't care

5. Private club members are likely more serious about golf , more educated about etiquette and protocol and as such understand nuances related to pace better. Pay as you go are too often novice or once or twice a year golfers ....they might not know or simply don't care

6. Studies show private club members walk more, whereas carts make up the majority of pay as you go....carts can slow things, especially if cart path only.

7. Some, not all , pay as you go courses do not want to upset paying patrons so might not address slow play as they should....

8. Private clubs can target all their members easily with memos addressing pace, issues, protocols....not as easy with walk up customers

and so on and so forth

You want to play fast at a pay as you play, go very early or go late, 90% of my rounds at pay as you play are sub 330, i play either first few groups or after dinner.

that said many private courses are NOT fast....Bondhead could be the worst, have never played it in under 5hrs and last two times, mid week, morning tee times were both 5:30 +

The National can be very slow....

my lastbtwo rounds at a top end CL course teeing off before 9 am were 4:20 and 4:10 respectively, not slow, but certainly not fast.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

This is my first year at a private club and I have to say that pace of play hasn't been an issue once. I'm almost taking it for granted to finish a round 3 hours. My concern is that I like to play fast and it might make it less enjoyable for my playing partners. For example, I start walking when the last player has hit their ball off the tee and don't wait for them to put headcovers on. I always put my bag on the side of the green closest to the next hole and proceed directly without waiting after the flag has been placed back in the cup. Maybe it comes across as anti-social? Feeling the pressure of a group waiting behind me has me always looking over my shoulder. Others seem impervious to that stress, take their time and really do seem like they're out for a stroll with good conversation. So what do you guys think of players that don't walk with the group but move quickly between shots and holes?
          It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by The McCleery Crow View Post
            This is my first year at a private club and I have to say that pace of play hasn't been an issue once. I'm almost taking it for granted to finish a round 3 hours. My concern is that I like to play fast and it might make it less enjoyable for my playing partners. For example, I start walking when the last player has hit their ball off the tee and don't wait for them to put headcovers on. I always put my bag on the side of the green closest to the next hole and proceed directly without waiting after the flag has been placed back in the cup. Maybe it comes across as anti-social? Feeling the pressure of a group waiting behind me has me always looking over my shoulder. Others seem impervious to that stress, take their time and really do seem like they're out for a stroll with good conversation. So what do you guys think of players that don't walk with the group but move quickly between shots and holes?
            Interesting as no one plays faster then me, but I am no means anti-social. I do all that you say, but start conversations and am the first to help ball searches and have a good time. I also usually putt first as I'm ready, even if I do my reads.

I however do let people know I'm known for my quick POP & if I am a single joining up with a pair, I understand if they want to be on their own and don't infringe on their conversation, though will make small talk and see if I'm included.

Comment

I had the opportunity to play a lot of solo rounds in the past 10 years, mostly up at Osprey so all on my own, not paired up. I developed some "bad" habits that I need to work on when playing with others. Maybe you played solo a lot too?

Are these friends or are you on your own and paired up with strangers? I find you need to judge how much strangers really want to interact - some are great and I've met new friends, others.... just wish you weren't there.

I think what you're doing is antisocial - it sends a message that your round of golf is more important than they people you are playing with. You're not going to play 18 any faster than the rest of the group, so I'd be inclined to be a little more relaxed. If your group is falling behind, then it's up to everyone to pick it up - you can't do it all on your own.

FWIW I also look over my shoulder at least a couple of times every hole. Just to be aware.
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post

Interesting as no one plays faster then me, but I am no means anti-social. I do all that you say, but start conversations and am the first to help ball searches and have a good time. I also usually putt first as I'm ready, even if I do my reads.

I however do let people know I'm known for my quick POP & if I am a single joining up with a pair, I understand if they want to be on their own and don't infringe on their conversation, though will make small talk and see if I'm included.
                I would like to see you vs. Jayhawker .and I'm sure it could happen - he would love to play The Summit!
                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I had the opportunity to play a lot of solo rounds in the past 10 years, mostly up at Osprey so all on my own, not paired up. I developed some "bad" habits that I need to work on when playing with others. Maybe you played solo a lot too?

Are these friends or are you on your own and paired up with strangers? I find you need to judge how much strangers really want to interact - some are great and I've met new friends, others.... just wish you weren't there.
                  I never thought of that but I think you're right. The last few years I've played mostly solo rounds after work and that's one of the main reasons I joined a private club, so I could pair up with other players. But my bad habits have carried over. I'll try to pay more attention and see where I can slow down. Thanks.
                  It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

I've played my share of private golf and the two can not be compared, there is also an accountability at private clubs and most members are not shy to tell others to speed up.
                    Private clubs have that luxury. At public and semi-private courses, there is zero accountability for slow play.
                    Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Private clubs have that luxury. At public and semi-private courses, there is zero accountability for slow play.
                      This. We are semi-private, on weekends our marshals generally don't get involved, by design or otherwise, I don't think they want to frustrate paying customers with accusations of slow play. However in member events, they aren't afraid to put a group on the clock who is on pace to finish their round in under 4 hours.

Comment

discussing pop with a wise man yesterday at my course , he captured it perfectly

he told me that 50 years ago when he was in his 20's playing golf and somewhat impatient ....a senior member of his club at the time put his hand on his shoulder and said " son, golf is the ultimate game of patience, if you can't be patient then time to look for another game to play "

Comment

The pace for a course is usually set based on afternoon time, meaning morning time is expected to be faster. In general for an average length semi private course, expect members to play upto 30mins less on a 4.5hr round compared to the general public.
                          Weekend warriors esp twiliters are diff animals, slow is expected and unavoidable in my mind. This is why I stop playing wkend twilite as the $ saved is not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                            discussing pop with a wise man yesterday at my course , he captured it perfectly

he told me that 50 years ago when he was in his 20's playing golf and somewhat impatient ....a senior member of his club at the time put his hand on his shoulder and said " son, golf is the ultimate game of patience, if you can't be patient then time to look for another game to play "
                            Did he tell you about walking uphill both ways to school in snow aswell. Rounds should never take more than 4 hours on "normal" courses... the day's of spending all day at the club or course are gone.

Comment

Personally, I feel that it is rude and selfish for one to expect, let alone impose their own habits and pace of play on others. The ultimate in selfishness would be announcing at the first tee , that I play fast or i do this or do that expecting others to do as I do. If I am joined up with others, I always just go with the flow, follow their lead ( does not mean slow play) If they in 2 or 4 hours doesn't matter to me.

As for behaviour in a group .... recreational golf is a social outing first and foremost. Even in competitive event, I always find them highly social . Again, I would view it as rude and antisocial for somebody to just walk alone as if they were playing on their own...but maybe some people are not comfortable interacting with strangers.... I'm a highly social and interactive person who can get along with pretty much anybody...have some great friends that I met as strangers by pairings on the golf course.

as fr looking over ones shoulder, if the course is busy, there will always be somebody in front and behind...worry less about what and who is behind you, but on keeping in position with the group ahead. If you fall out of position, ( every group has a bad hole once in a while) and you fall out f position, ensure to get back in position by speeding up for a while.

Comment

I think the problem is that most public courses set their goal as 4.5 hours. Anyone who has played a round in 4.5 hours knows that is terrible pace and you will be waiting on every single shot. Pace for a foursome walking should be under 4 hours. It may get a touch slower throughout the day but if you set your goal as 4.5 hours, pace will hit 5 hours pretty easily. Slow play sucks.
                                http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 171,102   Posts: 1,788,172   Members: 46,720   Active Members: 362
                                Welcome to our newest member, burly89.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X