Collapse

Westview worst value?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westview worst value?

I’m sitting on the 7th tee right now. $100 for this dog track is embarrassing. Wow. Very come here.

While not the biggest WV fan, know many who like it.

I have always thought prime rate was $69 plus tax.....hard to find many courses in the GTA at that rate so I would say its a good value at $69

Their sister course St Andrews Valley at $79 weekday prime (online booking rate) is a better course for only $10 more.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

99$ w s cart. The conditions for that price are awful. Saying this course is $25 worse that Osprey is interesting.

Comment

I've had mixed feeling about WV, but I did buy the 10 pack a while ago and that costs $60 all in per round with cart. So I would be disappointed at $100 per round, but at $60 it is OK by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie2017 View Post
          99$ w s cart. The conditions for that price are awful. Saying this course is $25 worse that Osprey is interesting.
          Not really a fair comparison, Osprey is out in the middle of nowhere so it cannot command a high price tag ( until at least the on site accommodations are complete). Westview is just a few minutes from the 401 and 404, Osprey is an extra 40-50 minutes each way in good traffic.

I love Osprey but only go once every 5 -10 years because its so far away.

put Osprey where Westview sits and its a minimum $125 course without cart. At $69 and Westview being so close to the city hits a sweet spot for rates in that geographic proximity that puts it below most other "decent" courses....without using multiplay packages , GN or UP and the like

whats up with the conditions ? We've had a ton of rain lately but greens at Westview are generally considered some of the best in the GTA
          Last edited by Weirfan; Sep 18, 2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

From College and Bathurst (where I live). They are identical driving distances. The course is bumpy as all hell. You need a morphine drip from bouncing around In the cart as you attempt to get to your ball. Fairways are first cut rough length but yes the greens are not awful. But def not some of the best in the GTA. You play Osprey once every 10 years. How on earth can you comment on the comparison I made? You pipe up all the time and troll people comments. Go play the course and then play Osprey for $25 more THIS DECADE then come at me. Move on

Comment

From College and Bathurst (where I live). They are identical driving distances. The course is bumpy as all hell. You need a morphine drip from bouncing around In the cart as you attempt to get to your ball. Fairways are first cut rough length but yes the greens are not awful. But def not some of the best in the GTA. You play Osprey once every 10 years. How on earth can you comment on the comparison I made? You pipe up all the time and troll people comments. Go play the course and then play Osprey for $25 more THIS DECADE then come at me. Move on
              I really don’t think he was coming at you. WV is in an area with a much higher population density than Osprey. His point is Osprey is a long drive for many people in the GTA. Your drive time might be equal to both, but for the Markham, Newmarket and Vaughan areas, WV could remove a few hours from their golf day.

This was the argument that Weirfan was making concerning their relative price points. The densely populated area around WV means it feels like a value compared to other nearby courses. Osprey is a much better course for the money, but for many it is a difficult venture across the snarled city highways. So the cost might be similar, but the full cost (drive time, patience with stopped traffic) is much higher for many.

Comment

Yeah, the fairways are a mess at WV. If the undulations are intentional, then it was a big mistake on their part. You can get so many terrible/awkward lies right in the middle of the fairways. The greens are generally quite good, rolling true and quick. One thing I can't figure out is the system for pin locations. They aren't colour coded, have no small flag to indicate front/middle/back, and try as I might I couldn't find any sort of regular rotation from hole-to-hole. I used to play it a lot, but feel like it's really gone down hill in the last few years. I did play it this summer on a really good deal and with a fun group, but that's the only way WV will ever get any of my money.
                We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                Srixon Star XV
                Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Too bad, I really like the layout at Westview (more than SAV) - have played there >50 times in my life....but none in the last few years

I was thinking of grabbing the Underpar offering there - guess I'm glad I didn't
                  Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Google Maps says its still 12 minutes further to Osprey from your location...but that wansnt the point i was making. The Bannanaslice was intelligent enough to spell it put for you so suggest you read his post.

I've played Osprey many more times than I have played WV, although I do play WV in a tournament every year or two and its been about 4/5 years since being at Osprey..... so I am quite familiar with both courses. I have played the Heathlands since the 2nd day it was open and played it a ton ( along with Chinguacousy, and Royal Woodbine) early on as was living in the West and it was only about $30 ...so probably 30+ Times and it is one if my favourite courses and my fav at OV/TPC. If Eagles Nest charges $185 then Heathlands would be easily $125 , maybe more if it was closer to the city.....likewise if Westview was where OV was it would probably be $49 instead of $69, but even at $69 for its location there are not many courses you can find that rack rate. Bradford is $40 but another 20-25 minutes out.

a suggestion to avoid disappointment in the future, do as many do here and post a question about conditions , purchase an UP or GN rate or, since its not much further for you just go play OV.

I live less than 5 minutes from WV and have not paid to play but maybe twice in the 25 years I've been here , but do play a charity event for Special Olympics which I pay for obviously

Sorry you had a bad day, the family that runs the course is top notch and customer oriented, I'm sure if you spoke to them they would listen to your concerns.

And yes Inhave played all 3 OV courses this decade, probably about 5 years ago with another couple guys who are TGN members or were in one case.
                    Last edited by Weirfan; Sep 18, 2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I played Westview last month and quite enjoyed it. Where does it say fairways have to be flat and smooth or that you are entitled to a flat, even lie for every shot ?
                      There are enough deals out there that you don't need to pay full price for a round. UnderPar had a great deal for rounds, including a cart for under $70 each, seven days a week.
                      Aren't we lucky to live in an area that has so many courses to choose from ? Eventually, I'm sure you will find one you like.
                      Also, try to be more specific on why the conditions were not to your liking (aeration, bumpy greens, no sand in traps, bumpy fairways, etc...)

Comment

You need a morphine drip from bouncing around In the cart as you attempt to get to your ball. Fairways are first cut rough length but yes the greens are not awful. But def not some of the best in the GTA. You play Osprey once every 10 years. How on earth can you comment on the comparison I made? You pipe up all the time and troll people comments. Go play the course and then play Osprey for $25 more THIS DECADE then come at me. Move on
                        Wow, that was my EXACT feeling the only time I played it... I would never pay 100 for Westview though.

Last time I bought the 3w deal (wooden stick, woodington and westview) and got a chance to play this course... Yeh, I thought it was me and my buddy's problem, glad it wasn't... when I keep bumping my head to the golf cart driving on the fairway.

I'd rather play Bethesda Grange~

Comment

I played Westview a lot way back when I was in my 20's and never remembered the fairways being like that. (35 years ago) The course has matured and the trees have made it a pretty difficult course for guys who can't hit the ball straight. The bunkers are not great either, but I do like the layout, and the greens are very similar to Clublink greens.
                          Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

Originally posted by djgolfcan1 View Post
                            I played Westview last month and quite enjoyed it. Where does it say fairways have to be flat and smooth or that you are entitled to a flat, even lie for every shot ?
                            Everyone knows that Westview is farrrrr from a flat course. Its probably got more holes with significant elevation changes than any other in York. Very rare to have an even lie of one that is not up or down hill. Homestead is the flattest of the 3 but also the most boring IMO. It is certainly bumpy in spots and with not all that many paved paths but thats not unusual for a $69 course. Caddie raises a good point, course is lined with mature trees that have encroached and made the course much tighter, so wonder if root growth and expansion is contributing to some of the bumpiness as well as affected growing of grass in spots

Course gets a fair amount of play as well. Both the men's and women's leagues are huge.

Last edited by Weirfan; Sep 18, 2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djgolfcan1 View Post
                              There are enough deals out there that you don't need to pay full price for a round. UnderPar had a great deal for rounds, including a cart for under $70 each, seven days a week.
                              Aren't we lucky to live in an area that has so many courses to choose from ? Eventually, I'm sure you will find one you like.
                              Also, try to be more specific on why the conditions were not to your liking (aeration, bumpy greens, no sand in traps, bumpy fairways, etc...)
                              Nobody is saying you're entitled to a flat even lie every shot, but they have fairways that are like corduroy. Couple multiple downhill lies with numerous elevated greens, and it can be a frustrating day. The lack of a coherent pin positioning system is inexcusable for a course charging $100.
                              We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                              Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                              Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                              Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                              Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                              Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                              Srixon Star XV
                              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X