No announcement yet.
Collapse

Lack of waterside golf in Ontario

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oak bay has some very nice holes on the water.
    Bellemere winds has very nice views.
    Port hope I haven't played recently but they have built new holes on lake ontario coastline.
    Kings bay (rip) was one of my favorite 9 hole layouts and never was busy.

Comment

Courses also don’t want the initial battle and on-going regulations with the conservation authorities. Even near a river the rules of run off and usage can be ever changing and endless.
      In The Ogio
      Driver - Titleist 910 w/Diamana 'ilima
      Fairway Woods - Titleist 980F 3 & 5 w/Speeder
      Hybrids - Titleist 910 H w/Diamana Kal'li
      Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
      Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
      Putter - Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum
      MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Isn't Bay of Quinte in Belleville on the bay or am I recalling another course in that area?

Comment

Originally posted by Mule56 View Post
          Courses also don’t want the initial battle and on-going regulations with the conservation authorities. Even near a river the rules of run off and usage can be ever changing and endless.
          Almost the entire north shore of Lake Ontario between Hamilton and Kingston has been taken up by railroad tracks for a long time. Ant golf course in that area would have to squeeze around railway rights of way. Might make it a bit challenging to fit a golf course in that stretch?

Comment

sturgeon point golf is a 9 hole of Sturgeon lake outside of Fenelon Falls that used to have a dock you could park at while playing

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

Great views of the lake from 6 and 18, otherwise pretty much unseen. Even those views don't really have the feeling of being right on the water.

Gets me wondering what OP (or me) would want out of a waterside course. For me I think it's got to be i) a huge body of water - ocean, or great lake; and ii) open to the wind in a way that you know it's coming off the water. Maybe a water horizon too?

Cobble Beach has some of that.
              That is what I was thinking, and almost surprised that there really is nothing. Have a good amount of the holes bordering a big lake (not - oh look there is lake so-and-so across the road behind that stretch of land), let the wind and natural environment come into play. Water horizon.....sure! I was thinking in the areas around the Great Lakes as there is your large bodies of water. I know there are other large lakes too. I wouldn't be up for much of a gimmicky type set up (forced), but the geology/geography is certainly present, especially in the southern areas (Muskokas, and further north are naturally very rocky - so this probably hampers these thoughts?).

I think the 2 best examples in the Great Lakes region are Whistling Straits and Arcadia Bluffs (both coincidentally on L Michigan). And they are proof that it can work despite having a season that lasts only 6-7 months.

My thinking is that it really is a missed opportunity. I know there are reasons behind why, as discussed already, as well as others I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post

I just checked those both out, and both are not on the water. As for Beach Grove.....it is a waterfront property, but the only part on the water is the banquet hall (including pool), and marina.
                Right you are. I actually Google Mapped these after and using the overhead view was able to confirm that most often they have a road between the course and the waterfront.

The Stanley Thompson Society has a list of his courses, including some that are described as being 'waterfront' but these are now 'lost courses' having been plowed under for development.

The original 'links' style waterfront courses in Scotland existed because that land was not considered arable/suitable for cultivation and therefore was primarily lower grade grazing land. Due to that and wind/rain it was not 'expensive' land.

However waterfront land in Ontario is on freshwater lakes and is much sought after, highly prized and therefore valuable. And as others have noted, much of the original railroads were laid close to or parallel to the waterfront/lakefront along in particular Lake Ontario.

As well as the lost Thompson courses, other lost waterfront courses in the GTA include the previously mentioned/pictured Cliffside course in Scarborough which ran along the Bluffs. In the Lost Courses thread there is more information regarding this course.

Does anyone know if the course that was in the West Rouge ran along the lakefront? From the location of the still remaining clubhouse (now the West Rouge Community Centre) and pictures it appears that some of the holes may have run along the lake.

And what of the now developed Canterbury Commons course that was in Port Perry. The community that was built around it is close to the lake. Was the course?

As for NOTL, it claims to be the oldest course in the same location in North America. It owes its location to the presence of Fort Mississauga which still exists on the course property. The course is located on land which had to remain largely cleared in order to provide a glacis and an area for drilling troops.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post

I think the 2 best examples in the Great Lakes region are Whistling Straits and Arcadia Bluffs (both coincidentally on L Michigan). And they are proof that it can work despite having a season that lasts only 6-7 months.

My thinking is that it really is a missed opportunity. I know there are reasons behind why, as discussed already, as well as others I am sure.
                  Maybe one to try and invest and capitalize on ? But where ?
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Maybe one to try and invest and capitalize on ? But where ?
                    Exactly......It's been on mind for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

And what of the now developed Canterbury Commons course that was in Port Perry. The community that was built around it is close to the lake. Was the course?
                      The old Canterbury Commons course is right outside my back gate. I'm adjacent to the senior's development. So far the land has been cleared and holes closest to the lake is under development. The part in my back yard will be built up sometime in the new few years. The course had a couple of holes that paralleled the lake, but most of the view was obscured by trees. The actual lakefront along there is owned by the municipality and kept as walking trails and lookout spots now. Not sure if that trail system was there when the course was still operational.
                      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                      Srixon Star XV
                      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post
                        Isn't Bay of Quinte in Belleville on the bay or am I recalling another course in that area?
                        There were some holes 40 years ago. Now, there are none.
                        In The Ogio

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

Almost the entire north shore of Lake Ontario between Hamilton and Kingston has been taken up by railroad tracks for a long time. Ant golf course in that area would have to squeeze around railway rights of way. Might make it a bit challenging to fit a golf course in that stretch?
                          Maybe from Oshawa to Brighton, but after that not so much. Having worked for CN years ago I've walked track from Napanee to Oshawa. There are a few courses currently between the tracks and the lake, but none on the lake or the bays.
                          Barcovan
                          Roundel Glen
                          Bay Of Quinte
                          Napanee
                          Loyalist
                          The story we hear is always run off concerns and water usage.

In The Ogio

Comment

The Wolfe Island course appears to have 3 holes that run along the waterfront.

Comment

Originally posted by Trips View Post
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	B3BCB7DA-E602-4BB9-919C-B10F41047844.jpeg
Views:	444
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	3087262

This seems like GTA Lake Ontario waterfront golf to me?
                              I forgot about Hunt and profusely apologize. A gorgeous track.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Backyard View Post

My understanding is that the current renovation will be the 3rd iteration of #17 in the past 10 yrs. ... that itself would qualify it to be a disaster for the membership. Flattening the landing area and removing the trees/brush on the right side would be a start.
                                Is it 10 years? I know that is/was the second version of the hole and last I heard/played, there were discussions about redoing it but no concrete plans. Seems you’re more up to date and in the know than me.

i agree it’s a shame for the members they keep going through redesigns, I just wouldn’t call the design a disaster.... just needlessly difficult for that membership. It’s still one of my absolute favourite holes to play in Ontario, but it can definitely be improved upon no doubt.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X