Lack of waterside golf in Ontario

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trips View Post
    Add Toronto Hunt Club to the list.
    Everyone who gets the opportunity to stand on the 1st tee at the Hunt believes there's great waterfront golf in Ontario. On a brilliant sunny day if you close your eyes and then look to your immediate right you would think you're back in La Jolla.

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post
      Burlington has holes on the water.
      Years ago when driving into the Burlington parking lot for the first time and noticing the golf hole by the lake (#17), I couldn't wait to play that hole. What a surprise. Burlington is a very very good layout but what a disaster that #17 hole is or was as the club is now renovating it again.

Comment

NOTL is probably the only one truly along lake Ontario. 5 of the 9 holes give you a chance to put your ball in the lake

Comment

Originally posted by Richd View Post
          NOTL is probably the only one truly along lake Ontario. 5 of the 9 holes give you a chance to put your ball in the lake
          And yet Lake Erie has nothing to my knowledge. I actually was on google maps and did a "drive" along the lakeshore. L Huron...same thing. L. St Clair has nothing as well, but there are 2 courses in my area that are close to it (one I mentioned in an earlier post), my home course last year (Rochester Place) is separated from L St Clair by a VIA rail track, road and some houses (which may have had a ball or 2 of mine test the structure of a roof on a garage...).

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Backyard View Post

Years ago when driving into the Burlington parking lot for the first time and noticing the golf hole by the lake (#17), I couldn't wait to play that hole. What a surprise. Burlington is a very very good layout but what a disaster that #17 hole is or was as the club is now renovating it again.
            17 is absolutely gorgeous and the only hole in this thread that truly is GTA Lake Ontario waterfront golf. Calling it a disaster is a massive massive stretch, but granted it is not the best designed hole, especially for that membership.

But all it really needs is a flattening of the landing area and for the green to be fixed. It’s one of the few truly wow must play holes in the GTA for me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B3BCB7DA-E602-4BB9-919C-B10F41047844.jpeg
Views:	444
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	3087262
              Originally posted by Golfhohoho View Post

17 is absolutely gorgeous and the only hole in this thread that truly is GTA Lake Ontario waterfront golf. Calling it a disaster is a massive massive stretch, but granted it is not the best designed hole, especially for that membership.

But all it really needs is a flattening of the landing area and for the green to be fixed. It’s one of the few truly wow must play holes in the GTA for me.
              This seems like GTA Lake Ontario waterfront golf to me?

Comment

Isn't Huron Oaks in Sarnia (Mike Weir's home course) on the shores of Lake Huron?

Believe that Thompson designed a few on the water in Ontario. Some no longer exist.
                But Beachgrove claims to be a lakefront property.

Have never played them but what about Orchard Beach, Owen Sound and Peninsula (in Marathon)?

Comment

Originally posted by Golfhohoho View Post

My understanding is that the current renovation will be the 3rd iteration of #17 in the past 10 yrs. ... that itself would qualify it to be a disaster for the membership. Flattening the landing area and removing the trees/brush on the right side would be a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                    Isn't Huron Oaks in Sarnia (Mike Weir's home course) on the shores of Lake Huron?

Believe that Thompson designed a few on the water in Ontario. Some no longer exist.
                    But Beachgrove claims to be a lakefront property.

Have never played them but what about Orchard Beach, Owen Sound and Peninsula (in Marathon)?
                    I just checked those both out, and both are not on the water. As for Beach Grove.....it is a waterfront property, but the only part on the water is the banquet hall (including pool), and marina.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post

I just checked those both out, and both are not on the water. As for Beach Grove.....it is a waterfront property, but the only part on the water is the banquet hall (including pool), and marina.
                      The area east of Little River is a huge flood plain and in reality is below Lake St Clair. I remember helping a friend on Russel Woods drive bail out 2 ft of water in their basement around 1971
                      Brampton

Comment

Originally posted by Trips View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	B3BCB7DA-E602-4BB9-919C-B10F41047844.jpeg
Views:	444
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	3087262

This seems like GTA Lake Ontario waterfront golf to me?
                        which course is that?

Comment

Originally posted by captainbim View Post

which course is that?
                          1st at the Toronto Hunt Club.

Comment

wow nice view

Comment

Bigwin was quite a disappointment with regards to being waterside except for 18th. Pretty easy to forget you are on an island.
                              Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
                                Bigwin was quite a disappointment with regards to being waterside except for 18th. Pretty easy to forget you are on an island.
                                Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

Great views of the lake from 6 and 18, otherwise pretty much unseen. Even those views don't really have the feeling of being right on the water.

Gets me wondering what OP (or me) would want out of a waterside course. For me I think it's got to be i) a huge body of water - ocean, or great lake; and ii) open to the wind in a way that you know it's coming off the water. Maybe a water horizon too?

Cobble Beach has some of that.
                                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                                ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X