Collapse

How's Royal Woodbine ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's Royal Woodbine ?

Anybody here plays Royal Woodbine next to Pearson Int. Airport ?
    I am mostly interested if :
    1) the noise level from jets is distracting ?
    2) the fuel/exhaust smell from the jet engines, mostly coming from the Airport itself is bad ? IIANM, the mostly "Westerly" winds during Summer will blow the POLLUTED air from the airport straight to the golf course ???
    Many thanks and cheers
    Last edited by veryold; Feb 24, 2020, 02:10 PM.

Originally posted by veryold View Post
    Anybody here plays Royal Woodbine next to Pearson Int. Airport ?
    I am mostly interested if :
    1) the noise level from jets is distracting ?
    2) the fuel/exhaust smell from the jet engines, mostly coming from the Airport itself is bad ? IIANM, the mostly "Westerly" winds during Summer will blow the POLLUTED air from the airport straight to the golf course ???
    Many thanks and cheers
    You certainly hear and see the jets. Some people are bothered by them, I think you get used to them fairly quickly, but you'll always be aware of them.

I've never really noticed any fumes. You're right near the 401 and 427 which probably contribute plenty of fumes too.

The 3 bigger issues IMO are:
    i) The course is tight with plenty of water. Play well or bring plenty of balls
    ii) The above creates slow play. PoP is on the slow side there
    iii) Conditions tend to be pretty poor. Not sure if that's because of poor etiquette, poor maintenance or the combo of them.

On the bright side, it's handy and prices have come way down to be reasonable. And it's golf.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Basically what Iggy said although I have not experiences anything but excellent conditions......that said it has been quite a few years when I last played there and at that time my friend was the head super ...he moved on and is at the National so wouldn't surprise me if things deteriorated.

i like the layout, water comes into play quite a bit
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

No fuel smell, occasional airplane traffic but not too distracting. I stopped going there as it is just not a very good course. They don't have a lot of land so many tight holes
        Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
        Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
          No fuel smell, occasional airplane traffic but not too distracting. I stopped going there as it is just not a very good course. They don't have a lot of land so many tight holes
          I quite like the layout, it is tight and presents a good , strategic challenge . It is really a target golf course so not one that you try to overpower. Lots of dog legs and par 3's are quite good... not boring by any means .
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I used to live nearby, and played RW a lot up until about 10 years ago. The planes are definitely there, though you mostly can see/hear them coming so if they bug you, just back off while they pass. I never noticed any particular smell. I'm personally not a fan of the layout, though I think they did the best they could with the land they had. There's a couple of really good holes, and a few silly ones, all sprinkled liberally with water trouble (on 15 or 16 out of 18 holes IIRC). Do note that if you're a righty who favours a fade, you may be frustrated by all the left doglegs.
            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
            Srixon Star XV
            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Great response - THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH - really appreciated

RW is the course that I can reach by only two (2) buses, LOL, which is not bad, and I'd like to add it to my other "bus reachable" courses this Summer: Braeben and Lakeview, on a "HOT DEAL" of some kind, of course

All best to you all and cheers !!!

Comment

RW is the course that I can reach by only two (2) buses, LOL, which is not bad, and I'd like to add it to my other "bus reachable" courses this Summer: Braeben and Lakeview, on a "HOT DEAL" of some kind, of course

Not to thread jack, but have you considered Peel Village? If IIRC, youre by SQ1, which would make peel village a two bus option: the 19 north, and the 11 East (numbers may have changed since I last used the local transit there).
                TM M1 Tour AD-DI 6S
                TM SLDR 3 wood accra tour z
                Srixon U65 18* Matrix White Tie
                Srixon U45 22* Matrix White Tie
                Apex Pro Combo 5-P UST Recoil 110
                Vokey SM4 50/54/58
                Odyssey Toe-Up #1
                Ball: Round & White Preferably

Home Club; Station Creek

Comment

Originally posted by jaybudhwani View Post

Not to thread jack, but have you considered Peel Village? If IIRC, youre by SQ1, which would make peel village a two bus option: the 19 north, and the 11 East (numbers may have changed since I last used the local transit there).
                  Hey THANKS so much for your kind post and suggestion, REALLY APPRECIATED

And yes, I played PV last Summer twice ($22 seniors) and actually did get there by one bus only and a bit of a walk, LOL: Hurontario Express (103) to Steels and then some walk, actually not bad at all.

Comment

You also have Centennial Golf course accessible by bus.

Centennial Park Golf Centre. 27-hole executive length golf course. Driving Range. Mini-Golf. Restaurant.

Comment

I guess closed
                      It is an ok course ok conditions and a very easy walk

Comment

I actually think the low flying planes are quite cool. The course gets lots of rounds and looks a bit warn at times. The condition of the traps is atrocious. The layout is a bit unusual which makes it interesting in an odd way. You must be pretty straight off the tee. I usually play it only once per year using the usual golf discount sites, and would never pay full rate. I prefer Braeben everyday over RW. For a no stress round Maybe head over to Humber Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
                          I actually think the low flying planes are quite cool.
                          The layout is a bit unusual which makes it interesting in an odd way.
                          You must be pretty straight off the tee. and
                          ........would never pay full rate.
                          Agree with the above.
                          I played it 3 decades ago about 5 times.
                          Had a friend drop a $20000 initiation when it 1st opened in the early 90's....it went bankrupt in a year or two and he lost his $20000.

Comment

Old
                            I use to live in TO from 1988-1991....if I was still here......I for one would pick you up and drive you home to enjoy a super cheap twilight rd with you in the west end....most of my golf in Vanc is played at twilight and pretty cheap on tough tracks...as cheap as $17 including tax in the summer only a few years ago...and I finish 18 holes 99% of the time.
                            $13-$15 twilight nowadays some Redbook 2 for 1 coupons in the winter MUCK/SLOP.

If I do return one summer and have a set of clubs to borrow from some friends...we'll go out and share a few laughs and whack that stupid white golf ball around.
                            Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
                              I actually think the low flying planes are quite cool. The course gets lots of rounds and looks a bit warn at times. The condition of the traps is atrocious. The layout is a bit unusual which makes it interesting in an odd way. You must be pretty straight off the tee. I usually play it only once per year using the usual golf discount sites, and would never pay full rate. I prefer Braeben everyday over RW. For a no stress round Maybe head over to Humber Valley.
                              We played it during the airshow once. Got some closeup looks at a bunch of fighter jets taking off over the course on their way down to the lake.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X