Collapse

Beginner course around GTA

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zombiecx View Post
    Thank you so much Arthur. Will let you guys know how it goes. We are really looking forward to it 😃😃
    Thanks. One other thing to note. The course does not return to the 'cottage'/clubhouse after the 9th hole. It doesn't return until 18. As it is 'short' it is not a hard walk but some people still prefer to ride.

Comment

Another easy, walkable course you should check out is Carlisle. 3 9s that all play a little different

Comment

I'm not sure if Derrydale is still around (mississauga/brampton border)? I know a lot of people, myself included, when first getting introduced came to this course. The nice thing is it is a 12 hole course, so someone who isnt sure about whether they actually want to take up the sport or not, does not have to walk an entire course right away but gives them a good idea. Also holes here will let you hit pretty much every club in your bag from driver to a short wedge. If you go in the early evening its something like $20 or less for a round?

Comment

Some of the courses here are decent, but full-length tracks, so not sure they're suitable for a beginner.

Granite Ridge, Burlington Springs, Carlisle and Lakeview, while wide open and "easier", are busy enough to maybe not appreciate a beginner playing during peak times... unless you can advance the ball well-enough and keep a good pace, that is.

Centennial, Derrydale, Oakville Exec and Camilse are tracks absolutely ideal for beginners.

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
          3 courses that require very little driver are Scarlet Woods, Centennial Park and Turnberry. I think Humber Valley is a great beginner course. Played Burlington Springs for first time and thought that was pretty chill for a relaxing round.
          I used to live in Brampton but have not played Turnberry. I thought this was still a challenging exec course with many difficult/long par 3's, yes?
          – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Armour V31 View Post
            I have noticed that the old Cresthaven golf course at McCowan and 407 has re-opened. I dont think it is called Cresthaven anymore though. Looks like a good beginner course as well.
            Cresthaven was the first course that I ever played. Just under 3,000 yards in total. Back then it was way out in the country, surrounded by farms and reached on a 2 lane gravel road.

Now you can see it bordering on the south side of the 407 just west of McCown.

It was (is?) an almost perfect course for kids or the first time/new golfers.

Yes it has re-opened as the Markham Executive Golf Course.

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
              I used to live in Brampton but have not played Turnberry. I thought this was still a challenging exec course with many difficult/long par 3's, yes?
              Yes, Turnberry would be on the more challenging side even though a par 3. Centennial would be perfect.

Comment

Also check out rock chapel and pineland greens. Short executive style courses usually in good shape

Comment

Good Beginner Courses I would recommend

Scarlet Woods
                  Humber Valley
                  Centennial
                  Streetsville Glen
                  Bloomington Downs
                  Rolling Hills
                  Parkview
                  Bushwood executive 9 hole
                  Any of the Clublink Academy courses

Comment

Originally posted by newy View Post
                    Rolling Hills (Challenge or Classic)
                    Agreed

Comment

+1 for Rolling Hills Classic & Challenger!!

Comment

Bushwood's 9 hole executive is without a doubt the easiest course in the GTA. It's basically a flat field, very casual, and really cheap.

Carruther's Creek Whistling Wind course in Ajax has is 9 hole par 3 course that's also very easy, Wide open with only one forced carry (about 120 yards to carry I believe), and it's not busy.

Dentonia Park isn't the easiest (still easy enough for a beginner) despite being a par 3 course, but it's a lot more interesting to play. You certainly aren't getting a flat course, but I think it's fun for a beginner to get some of those steep lies. A creek passes through a handful of holes but as long as they can get the ball in the air at all it's narrow and avoidable. The best part about Dentonia for beginners is that it's mostly short irons.

Others mentioned the "new" Markham executive par 3 course. I haven't been yet but I imagine it won't be much different than Cresthaven was, meaning it's another great place to learn.

I agree with Rolling Hills Classic and Challenge as well. Classic is short but you still have a few proper par 4s. Challenge is a par 70 course but arguably even easier than the Classic. Both are inexpensive and casual to play.

Bloomington Downs is probably the easiest 6000 yard course you can find. The minimal hazards are hardly in play unless you completely shank your tee short, or take an aggressive line. Very flat as well.

Comment

Just piggybacking off this - are any of these courses mentioned that are not particularly too busy? My buddy and I are very new to the game and prefer not to play a course that's too busy or potentially share a party. No pressure kind of environment.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I've been taking my kids (10 and 7) to the following during the mid-afternoon on weekends:

Bushwood Executive - Good for people that are brand new cause there's not much stuff in the way except a small pond and a little bit of fescue. They don't lose many/any balls there. Been really busy at times and dead at others.

Royal Stouffville Executive - Fairly wide open, but there are two holes where you need to shoot over water. More tree-lined areas where you can lose a ball.

Carrick Macross - Wide open with not much stuff in the way. It was busy the day that we went. One thing I didn't like was that some of the tee boxes were really close (within 10-15 yards) of greens. The 18th tee is in between two greens, and there's a fence only on one side.

Weather permitting, I'm taking them to Mill Run Highland today.
                            Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
                            TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                            TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                            Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
                            TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
                            Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
                            Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
                            LAB Mezz, Accra
                            Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Originally posted by zombiecx View Post
                              Thank you so much Arthur. Will let you guys know how it goes. We are really looking forward to it 😃😃
                              Well did you go and if so how was it?

Comment

Originally posted by fuumanchuu View Post
                                Just piggybacking off this - are any of these courses mentioned that are not particularly too busy? My buddy and I are very new to the game and prefer not to play a course that's too busy or potentially share a party. No pressure kind of environment.

Thanks in advance!
                                The Markham Executive Course (used to be Cresthaven) on the west side of McCown just south of (you can see it from) the 407 is not very busy. I drive by it twice per day on the weekdays and have yet to see more than a few golfers.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X