/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Trees in the fairway -Golf.com article.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few years ago I join the "Ottawa Golf Nuts" group for an outing. Either late April or early May. It was a lucky day as I met Mike Pare (MPare) . . . and had the chance to share a cart with. On the 1st tee we discuss hdcp and we decide I get so many strokes. Good holes, bad holes . . . we get on 18 and I am up 1 . . . wooohooo. $2 on the line here . . . So I hit my drive, a bit of a blind shot, right down the middle . . . piece of cake. He hits his drive, right maybe even on the other fairway . . . jump into the cart and he mentions, forgot to tell you, there is 2 big tree in the middle of the fairway . . .

Yep, right behind the trees . . . bogie I get and Par he gets to tie the match . . . damn trees in the middle of the fairway is not something I like . . . .
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

The 10th at Pulpit is a pretty brutal rendition. Osprey Valley is much more appropriate

Comment

Pinestone #16 maybe? It's been awhile.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pinestone.png Views:	0 Size:	609.7 KB ID:	3206538
        plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned #10 at Tarandowah yet. That massive tree right in the middle of the start of the fairway. I don’t mind it because I play a cut and can usually play around it. But it seems kind of stupid as it’s impossible to hit a straight drive off that tee. If you hang it out left it’s either in the deep fescue or OB and if you try to play a draw and hang it out to the right it’s in the deep fescue. Or I guess you can try to play a low punch shot, which isn’t easy to do from the back tees.

Comment

No 8 at Trafalgar is interesting. Learnt how to hit a driver off the deck with a low fade because of that tree!
            For Londoner’s, No. 11 at River Road is infamous ( even has scars where some frustrated member tried to ring it!).
            I love the tree on 18 at Pebble- it is so consequential strategically .

Comment

Originally posted by Drawfader View Post
              I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned #10 at Tarandowah yet. That massive tree right in the middle of the start of the fairway. I don’t mind it because I play a cut and can usually play around it. But it seems kind of stupid as it’s impossible to hit a straight drive off that tee. If you hang it out left it’s either in the deep fescue or OB and if you try to play a draw and hang it out to the right it’s in the deep fescue. Or I guess you can try to play a low punch shot, which isn’t easy to do from the back tees.
              That's a really weird one. They should just cut it down

Comment

8th hole @ Angus south used to be much more in your way storm of 2016 I think took care of most of the tree limbs ( we call it the Isenhower tree )still there , Home too a family of Hawks now but 1/4 of what it was

Comment

years ago when first open Taboo had a tree in the middle of a fairway possibly a dog leg i hit my tee shot and the ball came to rest on the wood chips around the base of the tree luckily as a rightie i still had a shot

i remember my old man chuckling to me thats unfortunate another missed fairway . back then Bell employees were getting golf and cart for around 60 bucks

its probably changed but i do recall a very good practice facility

anyone know if the tree is still there

Comment

Well.....technically not in the middle of the fairway, but definitely....in the way, #1 at Don Valley.

The hole was originally designed as a dog leg left, with the original tee and landing area now being the teaching area. The reconfigured hole now has two trees directly in line between the new tees and the green.

There is a bit of a fairway on the right side of the hole, but it is narrow and invites going into the Don River.

I usually punch a shot straight out, about 160 yards, leaving a 9i or PW to go over the trees.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Paris used to have a couple of my favourite trees.
                      #7 had large lone tree ( mostly dead ) on the right side, which they eventually cut down. It was more visual vs being in play. And #11 had a massive maple on the right side at the crest of the uphill section. Lighting took out almost the entire left side of that tree, opening the window into the fairway beyond. I miss that course

For a course with no trees, Tarandowah has one tree on #10, in good location that you might hit it, or not.

Conestogo Goose #9 has well placed tree fronting the green.
                      WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
                      Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65
                      Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist 818 H1 21* hybrid with Accra FX300H
                      Titleist 818 H1 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
                      Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
                      Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw
                      Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw
                      Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

The 3rd on the Quail has a tree in the middle right on the dogleg. Theres probably a 30yd area where youre blocked out from your approach.

Comment

Burlington Springs #7. I’ve been around it, over it... and behind it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1AF0B809-25EC-4544-9355-AD1E9CB7C7C3.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	3206727
                          – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                            A few years ago I join the "Ottawa Golf Nuts" group for an outing. Either late April or early May. It was a lucky day as I met Mike Pare (MPare) . . . and had the chance to share a cart with. On the 1st tee we discuss hdcp and we decide I get so many strokes. Good holes, bad holes . . . we get on 18 and I am up 1 . . . wooohooo. $2 on the line here . . . So I hit my drive, a bit of a blind shot, right down the middle . . . piece of cake. He hits his drive, right maybe even on the other fairway . . . jump into the cart and he mentions, forgot to tell you, there is 2 big tree in the middle of the fairway . . .

Yep, right behind the trees . . . bogie I get and Par he gets to tie the match . . . damn trees in the middle of the fairway is not something I like . . . .
                            Good story. Demonstrates how much importance lawyers put into the timing of releasing facts. .

Comment

Almost forgot Magna’s 16th, though not really in play per se

Comment

Frogs breath has a tree in the middle of the driving range. Excellent for draw and cut practice.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 179,992   Posts: 1,885,999   Members: 48,498   Active Members: 487
                                Welcome to our newest member, BigCat78.
                                Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X