/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Best Kept Secret golf course in the GTA

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post
    Not really a "secret" but there is not a better deal in the GTA than Lakeview for what you get, and it is going to get a whole lot better in the coming years.
    Why will it get better in the coming years?

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post

Why will it get better in the coming years?
      The City of Mississauga is naturalizing the Applewood Creek, tree removal, and making improvements to certain holes on the course.
      Pages 49, 50, 135 to 142 provide more detail about proposed changes, with comments from architect Cam Tyers. http://www7.mississauga.ca/Departments/Marketing/documents/tw/2020-08-31-Applewood-Creek-at-Lakeview-Project-File.pdf…

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
        A couple are stretching a bit from GTA

Oakridge
        Pines of Georgina
        Twenty Valley
        Shelter Valley Pines
        Oliver's Nest
        Have to agree that there was a time when Oakridge truly was an under rated gem. Cost far less than Thunderbird (now Royal Ashburn), was rarely busy and was a more 'restrained' McBroom design with nice elevation changes. The front 9 is particularly good.

Back then the 'clubhouse' was a couple of trailers.

Comment

Peel Village, wickedly underrated. $30 and checks the quick round box being just 9 holes.

Lakeview is awesome, just too busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
            A couple are stretching a bit from GTA

Oakridge
            Pines of Georgina
            Twenty Valley
            Shelter Valley Pines
            Oliver's Nest
            Twenty Valley G&CC certainly isn't in the GTA, but is worth the travel. A nice collection of par 3s.

Comment

Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post

The City of Mississauga is naturalizing the Applewood Creek, tree removal, and making improvements to certain holes on the course.
              Pages 49, 50, 135 to 142 provide more detail about proposed changes, with comments from architect Cam Tyers. http://www7.mississauga.ca/Departments/Marketing/documents/tw/2020-08-31-Applewood-Creek-at-Lakeview-Project-File.pdf…
              Every one of the changes is an improvement, and thoughtfully restored to one of the Golden Age's most underrated. Looking forward to it!

Comment

The only real knock on lakeview is a strong chance of a 5 hour plus round

Comment

Originally posted by rodeohook View Post
                  The only real knock on lakeview is a strong chance of a 5 hour plus round
                  I played Lakeview GC twice last year, both rounds just under 4 hours. With Covid-19, tee-times were every 15 and then 12 minutes if I recall correctly, and it was tough to get a tee-time. Everything proceeded smoothly, with their protocols.

There is a pilot project of a walking trail through the Lakeview Golf Course. The ungroomed marked trail will be open for walking and snowshoeing starting Thursday, January 7th Available Daily from 10 AM to 4 PM.
                  Free of Charge.
                  Limited staff will be onsite to monitor uptake and provide general oversight to the course, however no pre-reservation or check-in will be required.
                  Free Parking and Washrooms will be available to Visitors. Leashed Dogs will be welcomed.
                  Last edited by QuentinJJ; Jan 10, 2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I played Lakeview GC twice last year, both rounds just under 4 hours. With Covid-19, tee-times were very 15 and then 12 minutes if I recall correctly, and it was tough to get a tee-time. Everything proceeded smoothly, with their protocols.

There is a pilot project of a walking trail through the Lakeview Golf Course. The ungroomed marked trail will be open for walking and snowshoeing starting Thursday, January 7th Available Daily from 10 AM to 4 PM.
                    Free of Charge.
                    Limited staff will be onsite to monitor uptake and provide general oversight to the course, however no pre-reservation or check-in will be required.
                    Free Parking and Washrooms will be available to Visitors. Leashed Dogs will be welcomed.
                    I used to play it fairly often pre-covid and had a number of 5 hour rounds which is painfull on a property thay is fairly compact with short distances between greens and tees.

Comment

I used to play it fairly often pre-covid and had a number of 5 hour rounds which is painfull on a property thay is fairly compact with short distances between greens and tees.
                      I guess I was luckier than you then. I golfed both times in the morning on a weekday.

Comment

Free of Charge.
                        Thanks for the heads up. Took my wife for a walk there this morning, bright and sunny. Short walk however; just 6 holes available. Designated route marked with orange driveway stakes takes you backwards through 9-8-7-6-4 and then backing up through 2 and 1 to the parking lot. Signs warned us to stay on the marked trail.

Did encounter a very friendly red fox which walked with us a couple of hundred yards around holes 6/4. Gave us a few barks along the way, but that may have been intended for someone else.

Very pleasant, and mostly open and free of snow and ice today for the most part, so no snowshoes seen yet.

Suggested another lap to my wife but she had another trail in mind. On the way out saw that the gate at Toronto was open, and we spotted a guy walking his dog on the course, leashless. Wonder if it is open to the public for walking etc in the winter?

_______
                        NQRfPT

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelR View Post

Thanks for the heads up. Took my wife for a walk there this morning, bright and sunny. Short walk however; just 6 holes available. Designated route marked with orange driveway stakes takes you backwards through 9-8-7-6-4 and then backing up through 2 and 1 to the parking lot. Signs warned us to stay on the marked trail.

Did encounter a very friendly red fox which walked with us a couple of hundred yards around holes 6/4. Gave us a few barks along the way, but that may have been intended for someone else.

Very pleasant, and mostly open and free of snow and ice today for the most part, so no snowshoes seen yet.

Suggested another lap to my wife but she had another trail in mind. On the way out saw that the gate at Toronto was open, and we spotted a guy walking his dog on the course, leashless. Wonder if it is open to the public for walking etc in the winter?

Most private clubs kinda become winter parks, i used to snowshoe Rosedale and others and would always see cross country ski tracks and tonnes of dogs

Comment

Copetown Woods is always in great shape and was sub $80 on weekends with tax
                            Agreed. 45 mins from downtown Toronto and always a great play. They put a lot of money into course and facility improvements last year. One my my favourite regular plays!

Comment

Remington Parkview Valley. The Upper course is totally forgettable, but the Valley has a few excellent holes, especially #2, 11, 14 and 15. Always found the staff to be friendly, and the price is right!

Comment

Originally posted by The Yard View Post
                                Peel Village, wickedly underrated. $30 and checks the quick round box being just 9 holes.
                                Agreed! Quick rounds always score high with me.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X