Collapse

Stratford Golf Club

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratford Golf Club

Moved to Stratford this fall and looking to join a club this spring. Wondered if anyone has played the course and give their feedback and or suggest an alternate club to join around Stratford.

Which course do you mean? The municipal or the other one?

We have played the other one 3 years ago.

To get to the range, you have to walk around one of the greens, so can come under fire on your way there and back.

I believe the course was 9 hole when opened and then another nine was added. I also believe that when they did this they merged the nines. You travel along the same path multiple times from various greens to tees, and several times you pass in front of the back tee decks of other holes.

A much better course is Mitchell.

A much much better course is Craigowan, but you might not want the extra drive or money.

If proximity is paramount, then yes Stratford.

Comment

Originally posted by golferboy View Post
      Moved to Stratford this fall and looking to join a club this spring. Wondered if anyone has played the course and give their feedback and or suggest an alternate club to join around Stratford.
      I played Straford G&CC two decades ago. The course was fine, but I remember that I, as a single, I joined three barn builders. If I recall correctly, their membership dues was $700 for the season, and they were playing their 70th round of the season at the beginning of July...

I would agree that Craigowan GC would be a top choice. I have not played in St. Mary's but a Stanley Thompson 9-hole course with another 9 added by David Moote in 1994. It is on much more interesting land than Stratford G&CC. https://stmarysgolf.com/pages/who-we-are

Comment

I haven't played it, but is St Mary's an option to consider?

Where might that fit in in the hierarchy?

Did rather like Craigowan the one time I played it.

(edit: wrote my post before seeing that of QuentinJJ fwiw)
        _______
        NQRfPT

Comment

I’m open to anything within 25 or so km from Stratford. If anyone has course experience with St Mary’s please let me know.

Comment

We played St. Marys, but both times it was rather wet. It is down on a flood plain. We found it a good course, but there is a couple of really steep climbs to make during your round. Mitchell is better I think.

If you decide to join Craigowan, let me know and SWMBO and I would be happy to have a round with you

Comment

Originally posted by golferboy View Post
              Wondered if anyone has played the course
              I played it in September and thoroughly enjoyed it. Certainly enough variety that I could play it on the regular. It’s not a top end course in the conditioning, but I don’t recall there being any major issues. It’s a very old course, parkland style and almost has a muni-feel to it, which I like.

If I could find fault, the power lines and towers are in play on a couple of holes, the routing of some holes is weird and the range location is very strange and out of the way. Oh, and #1 tee block is right beside the patio, if you like an audience.

Id like to go back and walk it to really get a better feel for it.
              – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post

I played it in September and thoroughly enjoyed it. Certainly enough variety that I could play it on the regular. It’s not a top end course in the conditioning, but I don’t recall there being any major issues. It’s a very old course, parkland style and almost has a muni-feel to it, which I like.

If I could find fault, the power lines and towers are in play on a couple of holes, the routing of some holes is weird and the range location is very strange and out of the way. Oh, and #1 tee block is right beside the patio, if you like an audience.

Id like to go back and walk it to really get a better feel for it.
                My second time at Stratford G&CC I was paired with a fine female athlete, a top-level curler. She crushed the ball on the first tee, and then it was my turn. I turned around and noticed that I had quite the gallery although I suspect they were checking her more than me!

Comment

There are plenty of Stratford residents that are members in Mitchell. Stratford provides more of a country club feel (along with reciprocal play at Listowel) where as Mitchell is member-owned and has a more welcoming, laid-back atmosphere. I would suggest playing both courses early in spring prior to joining. Mitchell will credit your green fees towards the membership price.

Comment

Have some friends who are Stratford members and have played with them several times over the past 6+ years (lots has gone on for the club in that timeframe too!).

The track is decent - a couple quirky holes (maybe just 17), a shortish driving range, but generally a decent layout and reasonable conditioning. It's not Magna, but a good value. I would join if I lived there. I think the membership sound good - robust leagues and such.

P

Comment

Thanks for the input. Will check out Mitchell as well in the spring.

Comment

I’ve been a member at St. Marys for a number of years now, which is also where I live. We have a great men’s night, lots of club tournaments and there’s lots of great social “leagues” that play through the week/weekend.
                        Anytime you wanna come and play and need an extra message me and I’d be happy to go out with you for a round and pint after

As far as Stratford courses, strangely enough I’ve never played them, lol. I do have lots of friends that are members at the municipal course and they play there lots
                        I’ve also played Mitchell a bunch and it’s a great course also with a great atmosphere. They’ve got some pretty funny tournaments throughout the year and from what I understand a great men’s league as well

Comment

27 decent holes in Listowel - might be too far for more than the occasional round.

Comment

I can likely help as I’ve played all the courses in question.

Craigowan - I’m a member so my assessment will be biased. Love the course, always in great condition. Good range and a couple putting greens to practice. Food is great. Would be about 25min from stratford. Send me a PM if you want any more info and I can send you the 2021 membership package if you’d like.

Stratford CC - decent track. Much better since Gateman/Milloy took over a few years ago. Range isn’t great, and not much for practice facility if that matters to you. Good and bar are nice. You would have reciprocals with Listowel as they’re owned by the same people which is nice.

St. Mary’s - okay track. Some gimmicky holes, not a course I’d want to play every day.

Mitchell - similar to St. Mary’s condition wise. Not really worth the drive and not somewhere I’d want to play everyday.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X