Collapse

North Bay area

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

there are many methods and the warming blanket is one such although have not seen one in use . IMO, more importantly than the battery warmth is for warming the fluids. I guess a warming blanket would have some help to that as well. Using a battery with greater cranking capacity will help

in some areas, especially when people have a diesel fuelled truck both the blanket heater and battery blanket might well be needed.
    All very well and good, but up there you will get nowhere without snow tires.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Whoa this thread took a different turn lol. I do sincerely appreciate all of the warnings and suggestions. It’s always good to hear from others experiences! I’m headed back up there in a couple of weeks for another viewing/inspection. Depending on the weather, I’ve jotted down some of the courses in the area to drive by although I don’t think I’ll be able to see much of anything But nonetheless, we’ll see how she goes lol.

Comment

I Just moved down south from Sudbury, Had buddies from North Bay that played @ North Bay golf and country club and love it. Lots of our guys go to their men's open tournament and love it. Also heard that have an awesome men's night. I personally have never played it but I may venture up this year for the men's open. Like others have said call asap or email and try and get set up because everything is filling up. I was fortunate enough to find a home for the season, need my sims to open back up now!

Brando
        "Your swing isn't the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by brando92 View Post
          I Just moved down south from Sudbury, Had buddies from North Bay that played @ North Bay golf and country club and love it. Lots of our guys go to their men's open tournament and love it. Also heard that have an awesome men's night. I personally have never played it but I may venture up this year for the men's open. Like others have said call asap or email and try and get set up because everything is filling up. I was fortunate enough to find a home for the season, need my sims to open back up now!

Brando

That’s actually quite funny.. I left Bradford to move to North Bay lol.
          I’m not worried about if I’m able to get a membership this year or not. If it works out, great! If not, there’s always next year. Besides I’d really love to try out a lot of the courses up that way this season. Don’t want to limit myself to just one right off the bat

Comment

Originally posted by xXgunnrXx View Post

That’s actually quite funny.. I left Bradford to move to North Bay lol.
            I’m not worried about if I’m able to get a membership this year or not. If it works out, great! If not, there’s always next year. Besides I’d really love to try out a lot of the courses up that way this season. Don’t want to limit myself to just one right off the bat
            that is also a great idea! thats what I did when I moved down south as well
            "Your swing isn't the problem."

Comment

Originally posted by 73monte View Post
              Might be a little too off topic, but my partner at work just retired and is moving to Sturgeon Falls. Any courses there that I can tell him about? Also, how long is the golf season in North Bay?
              I grew up in the area and visit each summer. Laurentide is a decent small town Northern course - lots of fun, played there many times over the years, including last summer. If you are a serious golfer and don't mind a 20 or 25 min drive to NB and have the money NBG&CC is the logca choice and the only Private club.

Comment

Went to school up in North Bay, was a great place as a student and I don't have a ton of bad things to say for the city. The sub place on McKeown has great gyros for a post round meal, NBG&CC is generally the place you want to find a membership

Comment

Grew up in the Bay, playing at Pinewood Park GC. Executive, par 56 course which was run by Mike Harris' family at that time (1970s). Pinewood is a nice little course for working on the short game, but the NBGC is definitely the real place to play golf if you've got that budget.

Comment

I’m definitely interested in NBGC and also a little curious about OspreyLinks. Probably going play around the area this season and see which one I like best. Thanks everyone for the input thus far!!

Comment

Would appreciate drewharvie 's opinion regarding North Bay G&CC.

Checked it and it claims that 9 holes were designed by Stanley Thompson and the other 9 by Howard Watson.

So excellent pedigree.

And for those who have lived there, what are the flies like? Just how bad are they?
                      And how hard is it to find a family doctor/GP?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Checked it and it claims that 9 holes were designed by Stanley Thompson and the other 9 by Howard Watson.

So excellent pedigree.

And for those who have lived there, what are the flies like? Just how bad are they?

Thanks.
                        don't and haven't lived there but my brother has for almost 30 years.

The course is good, tight, interesting, up and down and all around. You cant get bored with it.

by flies I assume you are speaking to mosquitos and black flies. Lots of both but they do treat the water , sewers ( as they do here) and fog in the city to control them. Quite frankly i find the mossies worse in my back yard than I do when I visit my brother. Black fly season is short but expect mosquitos at dusk anytime from May through August.

cannot speak to physician availability but they have good health care facilities.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

So excellent pedigree.

Thanks.
                          I have not played yet, but the goal is this year. There's some weird stuff up there I want to see, like Thompson's Noranda and Willie Park Jr.'s Abitibi, so I'm looking at a northern swing sometime this year (hopefully!)

Comment

I think Arthur was talking about the Shad flies. From what I understand they’re harmless and last a week or two but something about the livelihood of the lake depends on them. I’m not bothered by it.

my Doc did inform me that finding a family doctor isn’t easy but also that in NB getting to a walk in or into the hospital isn’t as bad as it is in the GTA. He will still remain my Doc and I’ll make the drive down for anything serious (provided that I’m able lol).

As the city expands, the services will too. I read somewhere that NB was one of the highest drop off destinations for Uhaul’s last year. Quite a few people moving up that way

Comment

Originally posted by xXgunnrXx View Post
                              I think Arthur was talking about the Shad flies. From what I understand they’re harmless and last a week or two but something about the livelihood of the lake depends on them. I’m not bothered by it.

my Doc did inform me that finding a family doctor isn’t easy but also that in NB getting to a walk in or into the hospital isn’t as bad as it is in the GTA. He will still remain my Doc and I’ll make the drive down for anything serious (provided that I’m able lol).

As the city expands, the services will too. I read somewhere that NB was one of the highest drop off destinations for Uhaul’s last year. Quite a few people moving up that way
                              Shad flies are something that those that live there don't even worry about unless you are a fisherman. A very short term and minor nuisance.
                              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post

I have not played yet, but the goal is this year. There's some weird stuff up there I want to see, like Thompson's Noranda and Willie Park Jr.'s Abitibi, so I'm looking at a northern swing sometime this year (hopefully!)
                                You should also come to Kirkland Lake . . . I think as good, maybe better than these 2. If you go to Rouyn . . . you have to go to Belvedere in Val D'Or, best golf course in the North (my opinion) . . . Lasarre is also very nice (worth the trip) . . . and you don't have to give your first born for a round . . .
                                If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X