Collapse

Heading to Tobermory

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to Tobermory

We will be going to spend a few days in August in Manitoulin Island area with the Bikes, and on the way hope to play a game somewhere.
    At this point I have penciled in Cobble Beach, but looks like they will want $ 175 x 2 / 18 holes. I guess they like everyone else can take advantage of Supply and Demand, but perhaps the assembled might have a suggestion that is not quite as costly while still offering an enjoyable experience. Traveling from Oakville. Thanks

$175???? That's outrageous. I had to check their site to make sure you weren't mistaken. Yikes. It's good, but.... Yikes.

I found the food to be very good, if you have any money left for it....

I'd take a look at Legacy Ridge in Owen Sound. Stanley Thompson! I don't know how much of that remains. You can still see G Bay from some holes which is nice.

More like $80 but they now have "dynamic pricing". 6300/69.9/131 so it's in a different league.

There is also Stonetree, just as you come into Owen Sound. I found it "quirky but enjoyable". Only played it once, and would go back.

Northern Dunes (south of Wiarton) is okay as well. Nothing special, but nothing wrong with it either.

The little cottage course right in Tobermory has run into trouble - they only had 3 holes open last summer, and you could pay for as many 3s as you wanted to. It was always a fun little 9, but 3 is not enough, even with 2 quite separate sets of tees.

I hope you stay at Meldrum Bay Inn on the west end of Manitoulin. A great little spot.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

With tax that is $200 a round. Seems a bit steep but things are in the courses favour now so they obviously feel they can charge that and people will pay.

Legacy is a decent course and 69/79 plus tax.

That is what I would do.

Southampton is a notch below but also decent . It's a hike from Tobermory but one you could hit on the way or back.
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

We have a small place 10 minutes north of Cobble and are up there most of the summer.

I'll be curious if Cobble's posted website pricing holds once the season starts. They have more than just the Regular and Twi-light rates. Last season it went from $Peak, to $99, to $75 as the day progressed. Weekdays are also a bit cheaper, but with Covid they may have upped their price to cash in for the 2021 demand. I golf Cobble a couple times a year, but use their excellent range every weekend.

Legacy Ridge is also good. The front 9 has the Stanley vibe, but the back 9 was added later but still good IMO, though flatter terrain. I like the course, but find it a bit pricey for what it is.

I quite like the layout at Northern Dunes, but it is a "budget course" in amenities and look, and your fairways may be dead grass hard-pan in August. I play it often enough for a solo first-off tee time. It's fine for what I need out of it, and I do like the layout, but the course doesn't have the money to make the best of it.

How close to Owen Sound do you want to be for your golf ? Your journey from Oakville to Tobermory will have you passing several on the way if you want to divert a bit. A place like Lora Bay in Thornbury would not be too much out of your way, and then 35-40 minutes to Owen Sound.
        WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
        Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TS2 16.5* with Evenflow White 75
        Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
        Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
        Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw
        Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw
        Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
        Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
        Set #3: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
        *** 2021 is The Year Of The Blade ! ***

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
          $175???? That's outrageous. I had to check their site to make sure you weren't mistaken. Yikes. It's good, but.... Yikes.

I found the food to be very good, if you have any money left for it....

I'd take a look at Legacy Ridge in Owen Sound. Stanley Thompson! I don't know how much of that remains. You can still see G Bay from some holes which is nice.

More like $80 but they now have "dynamic pricing". 6300/69.9/131 so it's in a different league.

There is also Stonetree, just as you come into Owen Sound. I found it "quirky but enjoyable". Only played it once, and would go back.

Northern Dunes (south of Wiarton) is okay as well. Nothing special, but nothing wrong with it either.

The little cottage course right in Tobermory has run into trouble - they only had 3 holes open last summer, and you could pay for as many 3s as you wanted to. It was always a fun little 9, but 3 is not enough, even with 2 quite separate sets of tees.

I hope you stay at Meldrum Bay Inn on the west end of Manitoulin. A great little spot.
          Thanks everyone for the suggestions, we are actually booked at Meldrum Bay Inn for 2 nights !
          The owner sounds wonderful

Comment

Saugeen in Port Elgin is on the way up. Played it last year for the first time. 3 nine's with one being designed by Stanley Thompson. I found Saugeen rates to be quite reasonable.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
            X