Best courses to walk

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best courses to walk

"Golf is a good walk spoiled."

So long as the weather is good, I prefer to walk rather than ride. But some courses are a pain to walk, with the next tee being super far away from the previous green and monster elevation changes among the reasons.

What do you think makes for a good/poor walking course and what are some examples in the GTA?

Might be easier to ask what courses are not a good or easy walk as there are very few I can think of that are not easily walkable.

In that vein I would say Hockley Valley , Uplands and maybe Eagles nest are the only ones that come to mind as tough walks. Eagles probably the easiest walk of the 3 but don't think they allow walking. I have walked the other 2.

Don Valley, some people find it tough, I have played it 50x or more and think never not walked it.
    Hamilton way the two Chedoke courses have a couple climbs , cardiac hill , but again don't think I have ever carted there either.

Lowville can be fun on a hot day.

if you are looking for flat with holes close together then maybe Dentonia, Lakeview and Bloomington Downs might be up your alley.
    Last edited by Weirfan; Feb 17, 2021, 05:08 PM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

The original 18 at Mill Run ( a Muyleart design) is a relative pleasure to walk. Despite having a number of elevated tees and some 'rolling terrain'.

The 'new' 9 (a Miller design) is a torturous walk. But then Miller also designed Bunker Hill which is a 12 hole course of only par 3's and also a pain to walk.

Comment

St. Andrews Valley has a couple of really long walks on the back 9. One has you going up a hill, through part of a subdivision to play 3 holes, and then return along the same long trail to the rest of the holes.

Remington Parkview Valley course requires 4 walks down into the Rouge Valley and 4 climbs out to the table land. A few of these are quite steep. Definitely feel that on a hot day.

A really nice walking course is Tam O' Shanter.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I am of the belief that Toronto Golf Club is probably the best walk in Ontario. It is simply just a pleasant stroll, without too much strain, and it feels like you're back in time

Comment

the 3 courses at spring lakes enjoyable walks
            public silver lakes a relaxing walk my go to course for guests from out of town
            toronto golf club sure great course(s) amazing clubhouse a couple crappy distant building views

Comment

Originally posted by TomShanks View Post
              "Golf is a good walk spoiled."

So long as the weather is good, I prefer to walk rather than ride. But some courses are a pain to walk, with the next tee being super far away from the previous green and monster elevation changes among the reasons.

What do you think makes for a good/poor walking course and what are some examples in the GTA?
              I think green to tee distance is key. Lakeview GC uses the land very efficiently, and not a lot of elevation changes.

Comment

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post
                I am of the belief that Toronto Golf Club is probably the best walk in Ontario. It is simply just a pleasant stroll, without too much strain, and it feels like you're back in time
                I start to get tired climbing to the green on 11, and then walking from the tee on 13. I find the front nine easier to walk. Such a beautiful course, so many holes are great, yet I always feel like I am back in time in a unique place on the 9th hole.

Comment

Of the courses listed as good walks above, I agree with Tam O’Shanter and Bloomington Downs. I enjoy those courses also because they’re normally well-kept.

For those who play in Durham, which courses are best for walking and which would you not walk? I played Lakeridge in October on a rainy day so I rode. Between the wet conditions, the beaten up paths and construction, it didn’t strike me as a course I would walk if I return.

Comment

Blue Springs is a brutal walk, when it opened I got lost between the 12th and 13th hole. It's about a 400 yard walk.

Upper Unionville is a very easy walk, short distances from green to tee.

Comment

Of the courses listed as good walks above, I agree with Tam O’Shanter and Bloomington Downs. I enjoy those courses also because they’re normally well-kept.

For those who play in Durham, which courses are best for walking and which would you not walk? I played Lakeridge in October on a rainy day so I rode. Between the wet conditions, the beaten up paths and construction, it didn’t strike me as a course I would walk if I return.
                      Re Durham,

Watson's Glen is an easy walk.
                      Oakridge, not as much but have walked it more than carting.
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Watson's Glen is probably the easiest walking course in Durham. There are no major changes in elevation. The only long walk from green to tee would be from 12 to 13, but it's not too long and crosses by the snack/beer hut too.

Comment

Glen Cedars, in Durham is very walkable. Very few big changes in elevation and very few long walks green to tee.

Watson's Glen and Royal Assburn seemed reasonable as well in Durham.

Silver Lakes is dead flat and easy.

All the Osprey courses are a treat to walk.

Most of the privates in the GTA as well, at least the ones I've played.

I'd walk anything. I think it's an important part of enjoying the game, the course, getting some exercise, etc.
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Silverlakes is a Nice Walk ! Upper Unionville would be good too !

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

All the Osprey courses are a treat to walk.
                              Definitely agree on Heathlands and Hoot. North is a bit of a pain to walk with a lot of distance between holes and trips across the road etc. It's definitely walkable, but IMO, not as nice of a walk as the other two.

Hoot is delightful. With the tall pines (and especially with 15 minute tee times this summer) you feel like you're the only group there.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X