Collapse

Best courses to walk

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PistolPete View Post

Completely agree TGC is incredible. The walk is so easy but the land is interesting. Very tough balance to strike.

One of my favourites in all of Canada
    There is a former employee protesting on the sidewalk this weekend, regarding the tree cutting.

Comment

Deer Creek, Watson's Glen, Lakeridge, Remington Parkview, Royal Ashburn, Winchester, Valleymede Columbus, Tam O'Shanter, Kedron Dells, Silver Lakes, St. Andrews Valley, Mill Run, (Grist and Wheel- not the Grind), Royal Stouffville, Ballantrae, Upper Unionville, Shawneeki, Cardinal West, Bushwood, Pheasant Run, and Oakridge, are all walkable courses. Wooden Sticks is definitely not a walkable course.

Comment

Haven’t played too many courses, but hoping to change that this year.

Really enjoyed walking Remington.

Kedron from the 7th through the 18th is a very nice walk too.

Baxter is a nice walk, but only after an extended dry spell.

Tried walking Black Diamond this year. Nice walk, but never again. Layout changed since I played it 10 years ago. Miles between holes.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I agree with most courses listed, of those I played at least. One that I disagree with is Winchester. Though it's a shorter course, the back 9 isn't a good walk. I think it may be the 10th hole, where you have an elevated tee shot of 230 yards or so. After the shot, you have to wind your way backward around another hole and go down a steep hill. Good thing the round is typically a cheap one with a cart.

Comment

I'll no doubt get flack for this post; I was a member at Summit for 2 years, I'd say harder walk than any courses listed above except for Hockley Valley. Front nine at Eagles could have its "ups and downs". But at Summit even the old guys (60's to late late 70's) walked it 4 days a week. Unless you're carrying a ton of beer, or have an injury, I just don't understand the question.

Comment

Originally posted by swingeasyguy View Post
              I'll no doubt get flack for this post; I was a member at Summit for 2 years, I'd say harder walk than any courses listed above except for Hockley Valley. Front nine at Eagles could have its "ups and downs". But at Summit even the old guys (60's to late late 70's) walked it 4 days a week. Unless you're carrying a ton of beer, or have an injury, I just don't understand the question.
              I see what you're getting at. I suppose it's just a matter of what your threshold for a long walk is. While I like walking the course, I still want to have energy in the evening. If a course is long between holes with a lot of climbing, this can wear on you on a hot day.

I don't doubt that "old guys" like walking courses, but a couple of the guys I regularly play with won't walk a course unless it's an executive ... and they're in their 30s!

Comment

I will admit that I have an e wheels to carry my bag; and on extremely hot days I might ride, or if doing 36

Comment

Originally posted by swingeasyguy View Post
                  You feel the incline on holes 10, 11 and 12, a tough stretch of holes that seem longer because of the climb.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                    Might be easier to ask what courses are not a good or easy walk as there are very few I can think of that are not easily walkable.

In that vein I would say Hockley Valley , Uplands and maybe Eagles nest are the only ones that come to mind as tough walks. Eagles probably the easiest walk of the 3 but don't think they allow walking. I have walked the other 2.

Don Valley, some people find it tough, I have played it 50x or more and think never not walked it.
                    Hamilton way the two Chedoke courses have a couple climbs , cardiac hill , but again don't think I have ever carted there either.

Lowville can be fun on a hot day.

if you are looking for flat with holes close together then maybe Dentonia, Lakeview and Bloomington Downs might be up your alley.
                    Did you mean to include Dentonia as "flat"? Just #1 to #11 is a tougher walk than most full 18 hole courses

Comment

Originally posted by TomShanks View Post
                      Thanks for all the input. I agree with most courses listed, of those I played at least. One that I disagree with is Winchester. Though it's a shorter course, the back 9 isn't a good walk. I think it may be the 10th hole, where you have an elevated tee shot of 230 yards or so. After the shot, you have to wind your way backward around another hole and go down a steep hill. Good thing the round is typically a cheap one with a cart.
                      Have walked this course quite a few times. Just that 10th hole was a bit of a climb. But a short one. You do not have to push your cart up there. Just take the club for the tee-off and then pick up your push cart and walk to the green. Slight elevation to the green and then the tee-off for the 11th hole.

Comment

Some nice, easy walks in the west end include both Hidden Lake courses, Trafalgar and Burlington Springs.

Have to take issue with anyone saying Oakridge is an easy walk. It's one of the tougher walks in the GTA! Sure, I get it, you're capable of walking it (our group always walks too - I hate buggies) but the question is, which courses are easy, relatively speaking. Oakridge is on the tougher end of the scale.

Another toughie is Pheasant Run, with one of the nines (forget the name) particularly rigorous.

Now for my humble brag: Rosedale is a surprisingly difficult walk for an old-fashioned, middle of the city layout. There are a few steep climbs, culminating in a very steep one to 17 green and then an uphill-all-the-way par-4 finisher. Just what you don't need if you're already a bit tired on a hot day (but still a very enjoyable course to play if you can snag an invite!)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                        X