Collapse

Thoughts on 2021 pricing.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on 2021 pricing.

Looking around websites, rates for 2021 (as expected) have rally jumped, one example I came across was Woodington Lake Legends, their prime time rate is $114 plus tax, so call it $130. I don't know about the rest of you, but Woodington is NOT worth $130 IMO, I look at a place like Osprey, I believe $155 All in, I would pay $25 more everyday of the week to play Osprey over Woodington.

Like I mentioned, I think everyone agrees this was expected, and not really surprising to anyone, but man... I remember couple years back my buddies and I would book some pretty decent courses, usually week of, and would typically never pay more then $70-$80

I see Woodington is now including a power cart in all rates.

That's a shame.

Their new rates are pretty much back to their original rates. I'm sure I remember them positioning themselves as a Tier-1 course in the early days, with green fees around the $100 mark back in the late 1990s.

Anyways, as for your memories, that's all they are now. A couple of years ago golf was in decline. Now it's red hot and there's this pandemic thing that's changing a lot of stuff.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post
      Looking around websites, rates for 2021 (as expected) have rally jumped, one example I came across was Woodington Lake Legends, their prime time rate is $114 plus tax, so call it $130. I don't know about the rest of you, but Woodington is NOT worth $130 IMO, I look at a place like Osprey, I believe $155 All in, I would pay $25 more everyday of the week to play Osprey over Woodington.

Like I mentioned, I think everyone agrees this was expected, and not really surprising to anyone, but man... I remember couple years back my buddies and I would book some pretty decent courses, usually week of, and would typically never pay more then $70-$80
      Took a quick look myself and I see Lionhead is back to 100+tax on weekends and Bond head.yes, Bond head is 105+tax for April golf? Even places like Watson's Glen that have been a favourite by most because of the friendlier rack rates, has gone up to 98+tax during peak season. It's fine, they'll all be back on golfnow and the next "underpar" will be created in a few years...right?...RIGHT!?!?!??

Comment

I can recall paying $30 to play both Woodington and Osprey.

Pricing has always been dynamic and related to demand. We have been the beneficiaries or very reasonable pricing and a plethora of promotional deductions for close to 2 decades. Those times have changed starting last year and will continue for at least this season.

so to have 2 seasons in 2 decades of increased pricing is pretty damn lucky I say.
        it isn't universal, My course is one of the busiest courses in Ontario and has not increased rate in some 5 years. In fact prime time rate is $10 less than it was a couple seasons ago.

play less or pay up and just think of it as evening up for all those discount green fees you benefitted from for so long
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Weirfan Yeah I have to agree with you , we have been treated pretty fairly from a pricing stand point for many years, the courses deserve some relief and maybe they actually turn a profit again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
            I can recall paying $30 to play both Woodington and Osprey.

Pricing has always been dynamic and related to demand. We have been the beneficiaries or very reasonable pricing and a plethora of promotional deductions for close to 2 decades. Those times have changed starting last year and will continue for at least this season.

so to have 2 seasons in 2 decades of increased pricing is pretty damn lucky I say.
            it isn't universal, My course is one of the busiest courses in Ontario and has not increased rate in some 5 years. In fact prime time rate is $10 less than it was a couple seasons ago.

play less or pay up and just think of it as evening up for all those discount green fees you benefitted from for so long
            Although I did have to do a double take when I checked the greens fees currently listed, I do remember back in the late 1990's when courses like Lionhead and Angus Glen were regularly $120+ to play. So prices did come down. and/or remain stagnant for a significant period.

In 2019 the last time that I could play regularly, I paid on average around just over $40 per round to play some excellent courses.

Now I am going to have to play only off hours and downmarket courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Although I did have to do a double take when I checked the greens fees currently listed, I do remember back in the late 1990's when courses like Lionhead and Angus Glen were regularly $120+ to play. So prices did come down. and/or remain stagnant for a significant period.

In 2019 the last time that I could play regularly, I paid on average around just over $40 per round to play some excellent courses.

Now I am going to have to play only off hours and downmarket courses.
              Pretty sure those were both more than $120 for weekday prime times in their heyday.

Wooden Sticks when it opened in the late 90's was $230ish with the before/after meal.

There are people at our club that paid 2-3x the current entry price 20 years ago.

Geez imagine if golf prices had just tracked inflation all those years.

Comment

Bottom line, if you don’t like the green fees being charged, play elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                  And the "elsewhere" may be just as expensive and not as good!

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                    Is it just me... or have golfers become more hostile these days, lol.

If courses can get it, and their tee sheets are full, all the power to them! The Woodington example, I have played both courses many times, and just my two sense, but not worth that price point, drove the opposite way down HWY 9 and you can get Red Crest for about the same price point.

Comment

Golf like most service/retail, is ruled by supply and demand. Have to expect higher prices this year for sure and can't blame them. We don't really want to pay more, but if golf was dirt cheap none of us would be able to get a tee time anywhere.
                      Bridgestone J715 10.5
                      Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
                      Adams Super LS 17d.
                      Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
                      Scratch 8620 53d.
                      Callaway X-forged 58d.
                      Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
                      Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

Originally posted by 73monte View Post
                        Golf like most service/retail, is ruled by supply and demand. Have to expect higher prices this year for sure and can't blame them. We don't really want to pay more, but if golf was dirt cheap none of us would be able to get a tee time anywhere.
                        agree with this logic, except golf isn’t dirt cheap and I STILL can’t get a tee time

Comment

I'm honestly in a way happy that golf courses are making $ and being able to charge the higher rates. A ton of golf courses were losing money before last year even now I'm sure a few are happy to just break even. Golf prices have mostly remain stagnant for the most part the last 10 years while their costs have gone up a lot more (min wage increase).

Anyways the price of everything is going to go up too so better get used to it. Go into a hardware store and look at the price of a piece of plywood compared to 2 years ago.

Comment

I think the pricing looks quite reasonable this season for many courses with the supply demand situation...some courses could charge more, and they would still be booked solid.

Also, good revenue (which has been lost) is the 19th hole food and beverages after the round...and pro shop shopping.

Have a great season everyone...its a wonderful bonus to swing & play locally before the Masters gets underway.

Comment

Sucks prices are going up - $100 and 5 hour rounds are the norm, I do feel for those who played prior to covid popularity and are on fixed income who may now be squeezed out or have to reduce the amount they play because of price increases.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X