Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Golf Magazine Top 100 You Can Play (7 Canadian Courses)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf Magazine Top 100 You Can Play (7 Canadian Courses)

Golf Magazine just released their Top 100 Golf Courses You Can Play list for North America. Currently, it’s physical magazine only but I’ll update OP when it’s digital. Here’s the 7 Canadian courses included:

4. Cabot Cliffs
    12. Cabot Links
    17. Banff Springs
    24. Jasper Park Lodge
    28. Cape Breton Highlands Links
    74. Muskoka Bay
    94. Blackhawk (???)

thoughts?

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post
    Golf Magazine just released their Top 100 Golf Courses You Can Play list for North America. Currently, it’s physical magazine only but I’ll update OP when it’s digital. Here’s the 7 Canadian courses included:

4. Cabot Cliffs
    12. Cabot Links
    17. Banff Springs
    24. Jasper Park Lodge
    74. Muskoka Bay
    94. Blackhawk (???)

thoughts?
    I know there are many fanboys....the surroundings are great...but I thought the courses at BS and JPL were ok/meh....luckily I didn't reach into my pocket....corporate shindigs/meetings.

I played Blackhawk in 2003...before it went private...again...I didn't think it was anything special...I did pay for the 4some.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
      I know there are many fanboys....the surroundings are great...but I thought the courses at BS and JPL were ok/meh....luckily I didn't reach into my pocket....corporate shindigs/meetings.

I played Blackhawk in 2003...before it went private...again...I didn't think it was anything special...I did pay for the 4some.
      Sorry you don’t like Jasper or Banff. Not sure how anyone thinks they’re “meh” but I’d love to hear why!

as for Blackhawk, I hear lots of people played early and didn’t care for it much. It’s evolved a lot since it first opened. In fact, Rod Whitman believes courses are living things, so numerous tweaks since then that have dramatically improved it. For reference, I played it in 2016 and thought “pretty good” but had it top 25 in Canada. I played it last fall and it’s just outside the top 10 for me (maybe 10th depending on the day).

Comment

Sorry you don’t like Jasper or Banff. Not sure how anyone thinks they’re “meh” but I’d love to hear why!
        No question I'm in the minority.....I know someone else in this forum also thought JPL was only ok.

I don't get overly technical when I rate/judge a course.
        Three basic elements:
        1) Did I enjoy playing it and did it leave a lasting impression
        2) Value for money
        3) Conditions.

For BS and JPL...they just didn't make really hit the above criteria for me.
        I even played ok at JPL....a couple of rds in the low 80's and shot 76 at BS....took a double on 18 at BS...wasn't aware of OB to the right off the tee..ugh....so it's not as if I played poorly to give me a -ve impressions.

Somewhat nearby to Banff....I really liked Mt. Lorette (twice)...but never got the chance to play Mt. Hood.

In BC...one of my all time fav's is Storey Creek.

I also don't get overly technical when I demo clubs...only really 2 criteria.
        1) Looks.
        2) Feel....shaft and head.

Comment

No question I'm in the minority.....I know someone else in this forum also thought JPL was only ok.

Three basic elements:
          2) Value for money
          3) Conditions.

For BS and JPL...they just didn't make really hit the above criteria for me.
          I even played ok at JPL....a couple of rds in the low 80's and shot 76 at BS....took a double on 18 at BS...wasn't aware of OB to the right off the tee..ugh....so it's not as if I played poorly to give me a -ve impressions.

Somewhat nearby to Banff....I really liked Mt. Lorette (twice)...but never got the chance to play Mt. Hood.

In BC...one of my all time fav's is Storey Creek.

I also don't get overly technical when I demo clubs...only really 2 criteria.
          1) Looks.
          2) Feel....shaft and head.
          Makes sense, thanks for the detailed response. If value and conditioning are major things for you, mountain courses can be difficult just because of the randomness of the weather. Storey is one of the few in BC I haven’t played!

Comment

Makes sense, thanks for the detailed response. If value and conditioning are major things for you, mountain courses can be difficult just because of the randomness of the weather. Storey is one of the few in BC I haven’t played!
            It's also difficult to maintain mountainous courses too.
            It was snowing/hail at bit at 730am during breakfast in early July at BS....but by about 830am tee time all was good to go.
            Did I have fun at JPL & BS...you bet.....free golf, etc, etc at the shindigs meeting.
            A highlight of the BS trip...when I was waiting for my clubs at the Calgary airport...Jarome Iginla was also waiting for luggage from another flight....I walked over, said hi and got a picture taken with him.
            The guy's ripped...lol.
            A great player who could score and fight.

Storey Creek is an amazing track...haven't played it for a while....I went twice in May....and stayed at Painter's Lodge (fishing)...off season...the hotel had a 2 for 1 promo.
            Another kind of hidden gem...but it's remote...but if you're in the area...Myrtle Point in Powell River is worth stopping at.

Oh ya....I've only read about them...but there are supposed to be many great hidden gem courses in rural AB.
            I used to cover Western Canada and travelled a bit...but too busy to play some of these gems.

Comment

4. Cabot Cliffs
              12. Cabot Links
              17. Banff Springs
              24. Jasper Park Lodge
              74. Muskoka Bay
              94. Blackhawk (???)

thoughts?
              Isn't Blackhawk private?

Since it's an American publication I think they said "it's that colored animal course up there" and actually meant GreyWolf.

Greywolf >Muskoka Bay IMO
              Last edited by okgndave; Apr 27, 2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Three basic elements:
                2) Value for money
                3) Conditions.

Benz also thinks JP is "meh". We lobbied the mods to ban him for such sacrilege but found no joy. Of course, I jest. Unfortunate you didn't enjoy Jasper. It's not the most difficult course but it is fun.

Comment

All subjective. I know of folks who weren't big on Cabot so everybody views things differently. I would agree with MBay, the best public access course in Ontario
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by okgndave View Post

Isn't Blackhawk private.
                    It used to be public, now private.

Comment

It used to be public, now private.
                      I looked at their website prior to posting and it still indicates that it is private.

Welcome to Blackhawk Golf Club

Located southwest of Edmonton and situated along the dramatic banks of the North Saskatchewan River, Blackhawk is widely considered one of Canada’s premier private facilities.

Also, I couldn't book a tee time online.

Makes sense that they have changed if they are on the list. Would be interested in playing there if it was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by okgndave View Post

I looked at their website prior to posting and it still indicates that it is private.

Welcome to Blackhawk Golf Club

Located southwest of Edmonton and situated along the dramatic banks of the North Saskatchewan River, Blackhawk is widely considered one of Canada’s premier private facilities.

Also, I couldn't book a tee time online.

Makes sense that they have changed if they are on the list. Would be interested in playing there if it was the case.
                        You mean....it shouldn't be on the list if the are private which the public CANNOT play.

Maybe it's one of those courses that if you called the pro shop that you might be able to play without having to be a guest of a member to play as with most private clubs.

In 2003....I think it just opened up and I had a 4some which played there.

Comment

4. Cabot Cliffs
                          12. Cabot Links
                          17. Banff Springs
                          24. Jasper Park Lodge
                          74. Muskoka Bay
                          94. Blackhawk (???)

thoughts?
                          We’ll I just won the Golf Canada Foundation auction for a stay & play at Cabot. So I’ll knock 3 of those off in June 2022!

Comment

Originally posted by scottybonus View Post

We’ll I just won the Golf Canada Foundation auction for a stay & play at Cabot. So I’ll knock 3 of those off in June 2022!
                            That’s awesome, congrats!
                            PING G410 Plus 9* & 10.5*
                            PING G25 4 wood
                            PING G400 7 wood
                            PING G400 3 & 4 hybrid
                            PING G400 5 - UW
                            Cleveland CBX2 54*& 58*
                            PING Anser 1966 TR
                            Titleist Tour Soft yellow
                            Hooferlite Mr. Ping edition
                            Bag Boy Nitron cart

SW July 20 204.5 > GW Nov 2 175
                            How it's going ( - 2 )

Comment

Hard to evaluate without the “context” of what else is on the list. Does “North America” include Cabo? Think Osprey or Algonquin or Sagebrush should get some consideration, maybe a few more out west? Maybe Carrick’s course in Newfoundland (name escapes me).

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X