Muskoka Region Ryder Cup Buddies Trip Advice

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muskoka Region Ryder Cup Buddies Trip Advice

Hello!

I’m in the beginning stages of planning a buddies trip to the Muskoka area in October of this year (or next year vaccine rollout dependent). We have about 16 guys committed and are looking to do a Ryder Cup like format, with 6ish rounds over 3-4 days. I’m about a 12 index and will be the worst on the trip so it’s all pretty serious players. I’m posting here to see if anyone with experience planning a big trip like this and/or experience playing in the Muskoka area would be willing to talk to me through zoom or a phone call. I’ve planned smaller trips but never anything this big and would love to pick the brain and ask some questions to someone who has done this before. Anyone with tips I’d welcome them on this thread but if you’re willing to do a short call PM me and we can set something up!

Maybe if you added a budget figure it would prompt some replies.
    Hopefully you can get 16 guys to agree, sometimes a problem with just four.
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

If you stay at Rocky Crest, you can play that course, Lake Joe and also have access to Grandview as I recall. I think RC and Lake Joe are worth playing, Grandview I am not a big fan. Most people like Muskoka Bay but you will likely change accomodation to play it, I think it's worth the effort. Taboo is also worth a round. I don't love The Rock but opinions vary. A splurge would bring in Bigwin but stay and plays are about $600/night per person if I read correctly and min stay is two nights. I still think Deerhurst is a fine course and may be worth considering. Of course with 16 people in October, resorts might be willing to offer you a deal not otherwise posted.

Comment

Budget is a big question....it will cost significantly more to stay at Rocky Crest versus the Comfort in INN in Parry Sound. Also, you are looking at 3x the price to play Muskoka Bay versus say Parry Sound golf club. This can turn a reasonably priced $1000 3-4 day trip into $2000- $3000/guy.

you also need to consider distance to to courses from the accommodations. I do 3 boys getaways a year and they are all a bit different. One we stay on site and if we play a course off site hire taxis to and from as the boys all want to have a few drinks before and during. Another we rent a large house and 2 full size SUV's and drive up to an hours plus to various courses , always play 36. The third is a mix.

Finally, dining and food is another consideration. Most often some guys just want pizza in the room but others want to go out and have a good meal at a resto. In some of our larger group outings we will often get people doing both but usually have one night we all go out. When we rent the house, a couple guys who only play 18 will go have dinner ready for the rest of us when we get home

also be cognizant that in October in Muskoka you have the risk of cool weather and frost delays and less daylight which can derail a 36 hole day.

anyways, if it were me I would stay in Parry Sound , Comfort Inn has always served us well. It is in town so a short cab ride to restos, close to beer and liquor store, has a basic continental breakfast included, or a MCDonalds and Tim's right there to grab a bite en route to a 7 am tee time. Accommodations are modest, inexpensive and clean. Picnic tables out back allow for some fun times.

always good to use a diversity of courses to challenge all golfers
        courses close by that I would choose are Seguin Valley, Parry Sound and Ridge. They wont break the bank and are all very good tracks. These will also make cost of cab rides manageable should you do that. A trip a bit further to Muskoka Bay if you want to play perhaps the best public access course in Ontario. It will run you close to $200 ( perhaps a fall rate will be in play) so 36 holes gets a bit costly.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
          Budget is a big question....it will cost significantly more to stay at Rocky Crest versus the Comfort in INN in Parry Sound. Also, you are looking at 3x the price to play Muskoka Bay versus say Parry Sound golf club. This can turn a reasonably priced $1000 3-4 day trip into $2000- $3000/guy.

you also need to consider distance to to courses from the accommodations. I do 3 boys getaways a year and they are all a bit different. One we stay on site and if we play a course off site hire taxis to and from as the boys all want to have a few drinks before and during. Another we rent a large house and 2 full size SUV's and drive up to an hours plus to various courses , always play 36. The third is a mix.

Finally, dining and food is another consideration. Most often some guys just want pizza in the room but others want to go out and have a good meal at a resto. In some of our larger group outings we will often get people doing both but usually have one night we all go out. When we rent the house, a couple guys who only play 18 will go have dinner ready for the rest of us when we get home

also be cognizant that in October in Muskoka you have the risk of cool weather and frost delays and less daylight which can derail a 36 hole day.

anyways, if it were me I would stay in Parry Sound , Comfort Inn has always served us well. It is in town so a short cab ride to restos, close to beer and liquor store, has a basic continental breakfast included, or a MCDonalds and Tim's right there to grab a bite en route to a 7 am tee time. Accommodations are modest, inexpensive and clean. Picnic tables out back allow for some fun times.

always good to use a diversity of courses to challenge all golfers
          courses close by that I would choose are Seguin Valley, Parry Sound and Ridge. They wont break the bank and are all very good tracks. These will also make cost of cab rides manageable should you do that. A trip a bit further to Muskoka Bay if you want to play perhaps the best public access course in Ontario. It will run you close to $200 ( perhaps a fall rate will be in play) so 36 holes gets a bit costly.

October stay and play at Rocky Crest is about $140/night per person. 2 night stay gets two rounds of golf included. That's not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post

October stay and play at Rocky Crest is about $140/night per person. 2 night stay gets two rounds of golf included. That's not bad.
            That is actually very good and hard to beat actually.

would also suggest the op look into package deals through the courses...Pretty sure Parry Sound has something and I have a deal with Ridge and a hotel that was good.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

i'm planning a trip late May 2021 courses Oak Bay on the way up Ridge at Manitou and Parry Sound GC. Right now we are 4some. Any accommodation deals or tips greatly appreciated and yes the Comfort Inn PS is on our short list. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bobogo View Post
                i'm planning a trip late May 2021 courses Oak Bay on the way up Ridge at Manitou and Parry Sound GC. Right now we are 4some. Any accommodation deals or tips greatly appreciated and yes the Comfort Inn PS is on our short list. thanks
                Sometimes https://www.southernontariogolfer.com/page_home.asp

has stay and play deals..
                plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Comment

I'm a member at Rocky - September / October is popular for boys weekend so plan ahead
                  Things to also consider
                  2 rounds in one day will be tough
                  Rocky you wont get a preferred tee time, so the 2nd round will likely be a twilight at Rocky (you cant book 36) or at Lake Joe. I tried and Clublink is only letting me book 1 round per day. So 2 rounds in a day and planning for 16 within the Clublink family not likely.
                  You can try 2nd round at Seguin Valley.
                  Deerhurst and Grandview might be a good alternative point with 3 18 hole course options. To get access to the clublink resorts in muskoka you should try to book room to get access to the tee so either Rocky or Sherwood. Clublink members have discounts to the resorts, so find a member.
                  Muskoka Bay I heard is amazing but its far, not sure if close to Taboo, but Muskoka Bay and Taboo would be good to pair courses.
                  Good luck

Comment

Don't have much to add to Weirfan's excellent post, but it seems you have a Gravenhust- based option (Muskoka Bay, Taboo, maybe The Rock--bit of a hike) or a Parry Sound option (Ridge, Seguin, PSGC) or a Clublink option (Rocky Crest, Lake Joe, Grandview). Could also mix and match but that probably means changing accommodations, which to me is an enormous hassle for 16 guys on such a short trip. Also, hours of daylight and frost delays are definite issues, can't see how you will comfortably play 36 if it's October.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X