Collapse

As requested, Bond Head (South) review

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As requested, Bond Head (South) review

After the Bond Head North review, the South was a popular request. My two cents: it's the better of two. Full review above

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post
    https://blog.torontogolfnuts.com/cou...nd-head-south/

My two cents: it's the better of two. Full review above
    x1000
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Your review really has me excited to go try it, after hearing so many horror stories about the North. With all of the Par 3s over 180 yards from the tips, do you think that is one downside (254/244/209/181)? Would you prefer to see one of them at like 150, to provide some variety?
      It's not the wand. It's the wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by The McCleery Crow View Post
        Your review really has me excited to go try it, after hearing so many horror stories about the North. With all of the Par 3s over 180 yards from the tips, do you think that is one downside (254/244/209/181)? Would you prefer to see one of them at like 150, to provide some variety?
        Yeah, I don't really get why two of them are over 240 in the first place. If it were me, I think I'd go

3rd -- 210
        5th -- 140 (green is good enough to be shorter)
        15th -- 244
        17th -- 185

Better variety. I think the individual holes are good, but probably just need some yardage amendments to really get the most out of the one shot holes.

FWIW, here's the yardages from the gold and blue, which isn't a ton of variety either. 17 would be such a good golf hole if everyone was hitting 6/7 iron in.

215/158/225/198
        191/128/202/180

Comment

Wish you would have played the courses when there in prime shape.

Comment

Why isn't fescue used more in Ontario?

Comment

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post
              https://blog.torontogolfnuts.com/cou...nd-head-south/

After the Bond Head North review, the South was a popular request. My two cents: it's the better of two. Full review above
              Thanks for that review and comparison.

Wasn't the South Course originally called the 'International Course'?

However after that, I am assuming that us 'Nuts' will 'flood' the South Course and leave the North Course for those who don't know of this site.

Comment

I think both are really solid courses and dont get enough respect. The designs are really interesting and its always in pretty good shape (unlike the day you played them - those pics look horrible !). I find the greens always roll true and fast. The bunkers are spotty. I prefer the South course - but not nearly as much as most people - who think the North is really bad and too hard. I think the South is just a bit better - more playable and certainly a better design. But the North is really interesting, quirky and in my opinion more scenic (some really good views). And I actually really like playing a course with such drastic elevations changes for a change - good practice for uphill and downhill shots that you rarely get. I wouldnt mind them tweaking 2-3 holes on the North to make it a bit less hard... the 11th hole comes to mind (too narrow a green for such a long par 3) A couple of the par 5 could be shortened

Good reviews overall

Comment

Both Bond Head courses have been my most frequently played courses as a CL players club member. They are really good deals if you use the 2 for 1 certificate. Having said that, because of this I'd assume, the course gets a lot of traffic with many of the players who don't bother taking care of the course... so the conditions for both courses have gone downhill. They also cut down the fescues to speed up the play. It's really too bad because even 3 years ago I remember the conditions were awesome.

As for South vs. North, I enjoy South much more like everyone else but I do always try to "beat" the North course a couple of times a year... and fail. I think my average strokes are about 10 points higher on the North course to give you a perspective (mid handicapper).

Comment

If anyone is interested in playing a scramble tournament at Bond Head south in June check out www.centrecupgolf.com

Comment

Bondhead South is enjoyable to play ( from the Blue or White Tees ) ... it would be even more fun if they allowed walking.
                      Its worth a try if you get a chance...especially during Covid since it is single rider cart only, and with 10 minute spaced tee times...a decently paced round compared to recent years.

Bondhead North...you need your best game to enjoy it...and even then, it can drain the energy and joy of golf out of you...but I play it once a year because of the nice topography / scenery / challenge.

Comment

Thanks for putting together the reviews of both courses at The Club at Bond Head. I also have a preference for the South but it's more difficult for me to find tee slots on the South so I've actually played more rounds on the North course. You really have to be dialed in on the North course but if you miss in the right spots it would still be an enjoyable day.

I'm not a fan of the uphill 2nd, 6th and 17th holes but the 9th is actually enjoyable. Speaking of which, for some reason the 9th on the North gives off a similar vibe to the 18th on the South. They're inverted but I like them both.

The tee shot from the 2nd tee of the South course causes a player to think a bit but after that, you can really get into the round. It is an amazing flow, with clean sightlines, and available options to allow any player to choose their line of attack and swing freely.

I'm not sure that golfers would want the option to walk the North but I'm of the view that it should be offered on the South. For those who have tried it, you'll be met with a long walk to get to the 1st green after hitting your approach. There are a handful of other awkward sequences but I hope this is something that gets some consideration in the future.

Comment

Good reviews of both courses.

I was curious about the North from everything I'd heard about it, and actually enjoyed it more than I expected. Going in with low expectations can do that! There are some pretty quirky holes but overall it was entertaining.

I remember when the South course first opened - it was very high end. $185 green fee back in 2005 was intended to make a statement. I'm pretty sure the bunkers were much "shaggier" at first, quite a cool visual effect but probably impossible to maintain (although with green fees like that you'd have a significant budget). I'm also pretty sure that all the staff (and I'm including turf guys) wore a uniform which included a gold lame tie. Oh so posh! I guess some people felt it added a lot of class - and justified the fees.

Anyway, like most people I found the South to be a more comfortable golf course. It has some (very) interesting holes, the greens are excellent and it just feels like a round of golf, where the North.... it feels like something else.
                          Last edited by Ignatius Reilly; Jul 4, 2021, 06:57 PM.
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

Comment

Robert Thompson review when the course opened

The Club at Bond Head - International Course Architects: Michael Hurdzan/Jason Straka Location: Bond Head, Ontario Bond Head is the latest in a series of high end public golf courses that cater to the corporate market to have opened near Toronto. Designed by Jason Straka for Michael Hurdzan and Dana Fry's firm, this surely rivals

Comment

Front 9 at South is excellent with variety and elevation changes. Back 9 is bit of a letdown with couple holes too too similar with ones in the front 9. Nevertheless, will enjoy to play it again.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X