Collapse

Favourite new to me Courses of 2021 and planned in 2022

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite new to me Courses of 2021 and planned in 2022

After playing 100 rounds in 2021 (the most by far I've ever played and mostly due to work flexibility allowed by the pandemic), including some new courses I'd never played before.

My favourites of 2021 that I had not played before were:

Ontario: Weston, Taboo, Hoot (yes, somehow in 11 years of playing in Toronto I'd never played it) & the Nest at Friday Harbour. Honourable mention to Port Hope,
    Nova Scotia: Northumberland Links, Ashburn (Old Course) & Links of Brunello.

I'm already looking forward to 2022, where I'll play much less golf but the year will be quality over quantity. So far I've got rounds booked (Cabot) or am scheduled to play:

1. Cabot Cape Breton (Cliffs, Links & Nest)
    2. Cape Breton Highland Links
    3. Mississauga
    4. Mad River
    5. Cataraqui
    6. Cutten Fields

What new to you courses were your favourites in 2021 and any courses you are looking to play in 2022?
    Last edited by scottybonus; Dec 14, 2021, 02:01 PM.

My favourites in the states that were new to me were: Kittansett, Somerset Hills, San Francisco Golf Club, Cal Club, Bandon Dunes, Balitmore Five Farms

My favourites in Canada that were new to me were: Mount Bruno, Waskesiu, Grand-Mere, Burlington, and Lachute (No. 1)

My favourite return trips were: Pacific Dunes, St. George's, Bandon Trails, Sagebrush, Lookout Point

I leave on Friday to the southeast and I have a couple things planned that could add to the list, but so far it's been a great year.

In the new year, I'm excited to play Harbour Town, Ocean Course, Cypress Point, Weston, Pebble Beach, Coppinwood, Glens Falls, Fishers Island, and maybe a trip to Cape Breton to finally check those off. Likely will try to get to Baltursol, Winged Foot, Oakland Hills, Oak Hill, and NGLA. Could be a pretty good year also. I guess we will see!
    Last edited by drewharvie; Dec 14, 2021, 03:07 PM.

Comment

2021 - 2 new courses this season
      Bear Creek, fun and interesting layout, nice relaxing round, friendly staff
      Grey Silo, walked it and enjoyed our first time out...will try to play in 2022

2022 - on the list to play for the first time is Nest at Friday Harbour, Batteaux Creek, Black Bear Ridge, Cabot Links/Cliffs

Comment

I joined CL late in the year and played most of the courses in the GTA. My favourites were National Pines and Wyndance

I didn't get a chance to play the Muskoka courses, so I'm looking forward to playing Grandview, Lake Joseph, and Rocky Crest in particular next year.
        Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
        TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
        TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
        Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
        TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
        Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
        Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
        LAB Mezz, Accra
        Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post
          My favourites in the states that were new to me were: Kittansett, Somerset Hills, San Francisco Golf Club, Cal Club, Bandon Dunes, Balitmore Five Farms

My favourites in Canada that were new to me were: Mount Bruno, Waskesiu, Grand-Mere, Burlington, and Lachute (No. 1)

My favourite return trips were: Pacific Dunes, St. George's, Bandon Trails, Sagebrush, Lookout Point

I leave on Friday to the southeast and I have a couple things planned that could add to the list, but so far it's been a great year.

In the new year, I'm excited to play Harbour Town, Ocean Course, Cypress Point, Weston, Pebble Beach, Coppinwood, Glens Falls, Fishers Island, and maybe a trip to Cape Breton to finally check those off. Likely will try to get to Baltursol, Winged Foot, Oakland Hills, Oak Hill, and NGLA. Could be a pretty good year also. I guess we will see!
          Let me know when your at Coppinwood and if your part of a 4some or if not your welcome to join Scott and myself for a round ,
          Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
          Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
          Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
          Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
          Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
          Pro V1x Left Dash
          Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
          Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post

Any chance you're taking orders for Cypress Point merch? Know someone it would mean a lot to.

Comment

Originally posted by scottybonus View Post
              After playing 100 rounds in 2021 (the most by far I've ever played and mostly due to work flexibility allowed by the pandemic), including some new courses I'd never played before.

Ontario: Weston, Taboo, Hoot (yes, somehow in 11 years of playing in Toronto I'd never played it) & the Nest at Friday Harbour. Honourable mention to Port Hope,

I'm already looking forward to 2022, where I'll play much less golf but the year will be quality over quantity. So far I've got rounds booked (Cabot) or am scheduled to play:

3. Mississauga
              4. Mad River
              5. Cataraqui
              6. Cutten Fields

What new to you courses were your favourites in 2021 and any courses you are looking to play in 2022?
              I didn't play anything new last year and not sure what this year holds. Life is busy right now.

I'll be interested to get your feedback on Mad River, I have always meant to play it, maybe I will get around to it but not sure.

Edit: I guess I do have a round planned at Toronto which should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post

I didn't play anything new last year and not sure what this year holds. Life is busy right now.

I'll be interested to get your feedback on Mad River, I have always meant to play it, maybe I will get around to it but not sure.

Edit: I guess I do have a round planned at Toronto which should be good.
                MR is absolutely fantastic. So much fun !
                Your course was my fav private club in Ontario until I played it.

IMO the best in the Province ( I have not played goodwood)
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

New to me courses would be since we moved and the 4 that I was able to get out and play at the end of the season on the East side. So Crowbush, Dundarave, Brudenell and Avondale. While Avondale is ranked very low here by locals, I actually quite enjoyed it.

Next year I look forward to getting to courses in the middle of the Island and maybe Humber Valley when we head to Newfoundland in August.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

MR is absolutely fantastic. So much fun !
                    Your course was my fav private club in Ontario until I played it.

IMO the best in the Province ( I have not played goodwood)
                    Thanks for the feedback.

I really need to make an effort to go play it.

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post

Thanks for the feedback.

I really need to make an effort to go play it.
                      You must, it is quite tough but a beaut !

as for new to me courses, i played a couple and they were all but 1 pretty underwhelming.

Barrie Country Club = C
                      Toronto Ladies Club = C
                      Kawartha = B+
                      Maple Downs ( had not played since greens were all redone) B
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

You must, it is quite tough but a beaut !

as for new to me courses, i played a couple and they were all but 1 pretty underwhelming.

Barrie Country Club = C
                        Toronto Ladies Club = C
                        Kawartha = B+
                        Maple Downs ( had not played since greens were all redone) B
                        Guess I will.

I legit don't think I played a new course last year. The year before I enjoyed both St. Andrews East and Oshawa, very different but both good in their own way. Special experiences at both with good friends and management that made it very enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by scottybonus View Post

3. Mississauga
                          4. Mad River
                          5. Cataraqui
                          6. Cutten Fields

I have played the top 5 on your 2022 list and you will have a great year! Mad River is a true underrated gem in my opinion I hope you love it as much as I did. I hope to play it again this year -

Comment

Originally posted by thebogeyman View Post

Any chance you're taking orders for Cypress Point merch? Know someone it would mean a lot to.
                            You may be able to get those items online.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
                              New to me courses would be since we moved and the 4 that I was able to get out and play at the end of the season on the East side. So Crowbush, Dundarave, Brudenell and Avondale. While Avondale is ranked very low here by locals, I actually quite enjoyed it.

Next year I look forward to getting to courses in the middle of the Island and maybe Humber Valley when we head to Newfoundland in August.
                              I grew up in New Brunswick but have never played in PEI . Will get there eventually.

If you go play in NB some underrated (*not rated by Score Golf) courses include Hampton Golf Club, Sussex Golf Club and Fundy National Park (Stanley Thompson 9 hole, conditions likely not the greatest but awesome layout) and in the Fredericton area West Hills (newer course still maturing but good conditions with a fun layout) and Mactaquac (was in horrible shape for a few years when Kingswood took it over but I played it this past summer and conditions have returned to excellent). It has some of the largest greens/bunkers of any course I've played.

If you make the trek to Fundy be sure to visit Holy Whale craft brewery and for the best seafood platter go to Fundy Takeout.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X