X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Backyard
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBananaSlice View Post

They are planning to open the new holes next summer.
    I understand the holes #15-16-17 were to be altered. #16 is 3rd best hole in the back 9 and sorry to see it go. The other 2 were a bit pedestrian so layout can only improve.

Leave a comment:

• TheBananaSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Backyard View Post

Have they opened the new holes. Club website still show the original layout with video fly-overs.
    They are planning to open the new holes next summer.

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    Originally posted by PistolPete View Post

I really struggle with the Nest. Conditions are great and playability is very high but there are very few truly memorable holes. Very bland for my taste. Only holes I kind of remember were a par 5 on the front and the holes in the woods to finish the round (even then they meld together)
    Agree! Nothing special or memorable and too many similar holes . Conditioning was fine .

Leave a comment:

• hammy1983
    replied
    Originally posted by PistolPete View Post

I really struggle with the Nest. Conditions are great and playability is very high but there are very few truly memorable holes. Very bland for my taste. Only holes I kind of remember were a par 5 on the front and the holes in the woods to finish the round (even then they meld together)
    I do agree for the most part, but I think the more a person plays the Nest, the better it gets. Playing from a different set of tees completely changes the course and the wind is usually a factor that can come from all directions.
    Hole 2 is a well-designed tricky little par 3, especially if you do not pay attention to the wind.
    Other things like hole 4, you'd prefer to come in from the left side of the fairway, but the bailout is to the right making the next shot almost blind.
    Hole 5 is risk reward as the landing area for a driver is actually really small, and that hill on the left throws the balls into the fescue.
    Hole 7 again rewards a great tee shot, but you risk all those bunkers on the right and similar to the approach with the water and bunkers.
    Hole 8 has the wind being a massive factor. The easy shot is to aim at the hills on the left and let it funnel down.
    Hole 9 is a beast when the wind is against you. Hole 10 is boring IMO.
    Hole 11, rewards a great tee shot, anything less brings in that bunker in the middle of the fairway for your second.
    Hole 12 is a tough par 3, again the wind makes this difficult as does the green sloping away from the tee
    Hole 13 tempts the driver especially with the wind helping or still but those bunkers are easier to roll in and make front pins nearly impossible
    Hole 15 depends on a helping or hurting wind. tough elevated green that slopes off at the front, left, and back
    Hole 16 is straight forward but the green can be tricky and don't go right or long.
    Hole 17, is well protected by bunkers and you can't feel the wind but it is a factor
    Hole 18 plays long. hard to play the shortest way to the green with the bunkers on the right, and the fairway tends to kick bailouts even more left making the hole longer and a tough approach over those two greenside bunkers on the left/.

The walk back up to the clubhouse/parking lot is long and it sucks. IMO, I like it way more than Glen Abby. I enjoyed TPC Hoot more but not by a crazy amount. I think once the trees mature, the drainage issue gets better, in the 70's or low 80's wouldn't be a stretch.

Leave a comment:

• PistolPete
    replied
    Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post

Nest 100% big fan, great track.

agree with Taboo as well, played it a couple times last year for the first time in years, was very impressed

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Backyard View Post

Have they opened the new holes. Club website still show the original layout with video fly-overs.
    I played Kawartha last September 13th and they were not open and to me did not look like they would be ready until sometime early this coming season.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Backyard
    replied
    Originally posted by althouse View Post
    Glad Kawartha was mentioned. New holes look great.

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    By comparison, here are the criteria that Golf Digest use:

SHOT OPTIONS

How well does the course present a variety of options involving risks and rewards and require a wide range of shots?

CHALLENGE

How challenging, while still being fair, is the course for a typical scratch golfer playing from the tees designated as back tees for everyday play (not from seldom-used championship tees)?

LAYOUT VARIETY

How varied is the physical layout of the course in terms of differing lengths (long, medium and short par 3s, 4s and 5s), configurations (straight holes, doglegs left and right), hazard placements, green shapes and green contours?

DISTINCTIVENESS

How individual is each hole when compared to all others on this course?

Watch Golf Digest’s latest “Every Hole At” course videos below:

AESTHETICS

How well do the scenic values of the course add to the pleasure of a round?

CONDITIONING

How firm, fast and rolling were the fairways, how firm yet receptive were the greens and how true were the roll of putts on the day you played the course?

CHARACTER

How well does the course design exude ingenuity and uniqueness and possess profound characteristics that you would consider outstanding for its era?

FUN

How enjoyable for all levels of golfers would this course be to play on a regular basis?j

Golf Digest's Fun category was introduced two years ago, so we do not have enough data to use in the calculations of our 100 Greatest rankings.

To arrive at a course's final score, we total its averages in the seven categories, doubling Shot Options. A course needs 75 evaluations over the past 10 years to be eligible for America's 100 Greatest and the Second 100 Greatest.

Leave a comment:

• Weirfan
    replied
    Every ranking/rating system is slightly different. Golf Digest's differs from Score Magazine etc.

From a few comments it seems there is unfamiliarity on how Score actually goes about their ranking systems : the following two paragraphs on the process are copied from Score:

"SCOREGolf uses a comprehensive online system for ranking Canada’s best golf courses.
    Golf courses are rated on a five-plus-year rolling period. Courses must be open and have a minimum of 10 ratings in our system to be eligible for the Top 100. Panellists are not allowed to rate courses at which they work, are a member or in which they have an ownership position. Panellists are asked to rate courses on what they experience between the first tee and 18th green. Amenities such as clubhouse, club history, practice facility and service have no bearing on this rating."

"Our panellists rate courses by beauty, strategy, challenge, design, par 3s, par 4s, par 5s, conditioning and fun factor. Beauty, strategy, challenge and design carry a weighting of 15 per cent; conditioning, par 3s, par 4s and par 5s a weighting of five per cent; and fun the heaviest weighting at 20 per cent. Panellists award marks for each category out of 10 to a tenth of a decimal, which, based on the respective category weights, yields an overall mark out of 10. A course is then assigned a mean average out of 10, which is extended to the fourth decimal place in an effort to break ties."
    Last edited by Weirfan; Jan 18, 2022, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• drewharvie
    replied
    Originally posted by althouse View Post
    Nobody on the panel will have time to see them, but I'll be curious to see how they turn out.

Leave a comment:

• althouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• luvtapar88
    replied
    Originally posted by ShanksMcDuck View Post
    The Nest better move on up. It is a fantastic course.
    Agree with Drew, Kawartha should move up higher and so should Lookout Point.
    The Algonquin likely also moves up after more panelists have viewed the renovation.

Taboo is a course I actually really liked last year, it should also probably move up a bit but wont.

The Ridge at Manitou should be gone from the list. Conditioning and pace of play make it unenjoyable. Routing is ok but nothing out of this world.
    Black Bear Ridge should also move down towards the bottom of the list. I will go play it again this year, but I didnt think it was anything fantastic.
    Nest 100% big fan, great track.

agree with Taboo as well, played it a couple times last year for the first time in years, was very impressed

Leave a comment:

• midlifecrisis
    replied
    First and foremost, let's lose Seguin for all the reasons Drew laid out in the other thread. To say it is better than King Valley or Greystone is nonsensical. I also think Cobble Beach is overrated and will move down.

Leave a comment:

• drewharvie
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan I View Post
    Hopefully Brantford is going to move higher in the list. Maybe not in 2022 but 2023 for sure. The club is currently undergoing a nearly $7 million upgrade... redoing all bunkers, rebuilding 4 greens, moving a pond, adding/deleting trees, some mounding, rehabbing the cart paths and more. Work should be completed early summer of 2023.
    It should move (either up or down I guess) for the 2024 list.

Leave a comment:

• Alan I
    replied
    Hopefully Brantford is going to move higher in the list. Maybe not in 2022 but 2023 for sure. The club is currently undergoing a nearly $7 million upgrade... redoing all bunkers, rebuilding 4 greens, moving a pond, adding/deleting trees, some mounding, rehabbing the cart paths and more. Work should be completed early summer of 2023.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X