Collapse

Way too early predictions for the 2022 Score Top 100 Movers

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way too early predictions for the 2022 Score Top 100 Movers

Golf is at least 3 or 4 months away in southern Ontario. To kill some time, I thought I'd canvas this learned group on what courses they think will make the biggest moves in the 2022 Score Top 100 rankings (with rationale). As a kicker, I'd be interested to hear what the group thinks the most overrated and underrated courses on the 2020 list are.
    Last edited by Fletch23; Dec 29, 2021, 06:25 PM.

Waskesiu and Mickelson National will almost certainly be on the list. Likewise for Sagebrush if it gets enough people to see it (I know a handful of SCORE panelists to go see it, but it needs 10).

Hard to say which will be the biggest movers on the current list. I'd hope Kawartha and Cataraqui both move up. Brantford's work is too new for any panelist to see it as it won't even open 9 until the summer. Hamilton could be in the same boat as the work is new.

Quite a few courses are overrated and shouldn't be on the list, but I'll reserve my post until others post. I think I have about 25 of the 77 top 100's I've played that shouldn't be on the list, which isn't a great batting average. Underrated on the list is Kawartha and Lookout Point.

Comment

I have played Seguin (conditions) and Wildfire (nice but nothing really special here) - both should not be on the list
      Unsure about Glen Abbey, if not for history, I've played many years ago and wondered whats so special here, well the back 9 is amazing, not sure if it deserves

Comment

I could see The Nest at Friday Harbour move into the top 100 (from the next 40).

Comment

The Nest better move on up. It is a fantastic course.
          Agree with Drew, Kawartha should move up higher and so should Lookout Point.
          The Algonquin likely also moves up after more panelists have viewed the renovation.

Taboo is a course I actually really liked last year, it should also probably move up a bit but wont.

The Ridge at Manitou should be gone from the list. Conditioning and pace of play make it unenjoyable. Routing is ok but nothing out of this world.
          Black Bear Ridge should also move down towards the bottom of the list. I will go play it again this year, but I didnt think it was anything fantastic.
          It that a Titleist?

Comment

Does Grand Niagara GC get any attention?
            Haven’t played it in years but I really liked the layout.
            Amenities and surrounding views left a lot to be desired but I thought the layout was great.
            Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
            Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
            Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
            Ping G400 4H - 22*
            Ping G400 5 - UW
            Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
            Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
            Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
            Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

It's jarring that the Ridge at Manitou sits above both Taboo and Seguin, I get that it has good bones being a McBroom design but it's so poorly maintained. The Rock (not featured) is much more interesting and usually in way better shape. That being said, drainage is very poor at The Rock. Looking forward to adding Muskoka Bay and Big Win to complete the Rota this summer.

I'm also not sure how Eagle's Nest justifies its price tag, it should really be priced on par with the TPCs. Will be interesting to see once the renos are complete. The scenery was nice but you can have just as much fun playing Turnberry (another Carrick) for a fraction of the price.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanuher View Post
                It's jarring that the Ridge at Manitou sits above both Taboo and Seguin, I get that it has good bones being a McBroom design but it's so poorly maintained. The Rock (not featured) is much more interesting and usually in way better shape. That being said, drainage is very poor at The Rock. Looking forward to adding Muskoka Bay and Big Win to complete the Rota this summer.
                After the water pump debacle of 2020 at the Ridge they have babied the course for the better part of a year and a half. By mid August of 2021 the course was in almost pre-debacle conditions. Greens were a bit slower than i remember but that may be a staffing issue due to COVID then anything else. I know speaking with the staff up there, with it being in the middle of no where and 30 minutes outside of parry sound it was hard to get anyone to work this past season. As for pace of play, I played it one afternoon, and I agree never again. 3.5 hours for a back nine. Morning tee times only for me from now on. Also they basically baby the course with it being cart path only 75% of the time. One heavy downpour and you have cart path only for a week

Seguin is a fantastic course and I think it'll move up the rankings. Perhaps it's issue is that it's changed ownership about 5 years ago and the course had been shut down for a whole season when the old owner went bankrupt.@drewharvie can speak to the effect ownership changes/a course being closed for 2 out of 4 season (i think) can have on raters not evening wanting to come and test it out. As I said, I'm sure it'll move up the ranking system over time.

The Rock, oh man, I played that course once and I'm good. I've never been punished so much for hitting a mediocre shot. But yes, it was in fantastic shape!

Comment

Originally posted by spinaltap View Post

After the water pump debacle of 2020 at the Ridge they have babied the course for the better part of a year and a half. By mid August of 2021 the course was in almost pre-debacle conditions. Greens were a bit slower than i remember but that may be a staffing issue due to COVID then anything else. I know speaking with the staff up there, with it being in the middle of no where and 30 minutes outside of parry sound it was hard to get anyone to work this past season. As for pace of play, I played it one afternoon, and I agree never again. 3.5 hours for a back nine. Morning tee times only for me from now on. Also they basically baby the course with it being cart path only 75% of the time. One heavy downpour and you have cart path only for a week

Seguin is a fantastic course and I think it'll move up the rankings. Perhaps it's issue is that it's changed ownership about 5 years ago and the course had been shut down for a whole season when the old owner went bankrupt.@drewharvie can speak to the effect ownership changes/a course being closed for 2 out of 4 season (i think) can have on raters not evening wanting to come and test it out. As I said, I'm sure it'll move up the ranking system over time.

The Rock, oh man, I played that course once and I'm good. I've never been punished so much for hitting a mediocre shot. But yes, it was in fantastic shape!

Thanks for the additional information on the Ridge, I played it in early September so it sounds like I was spared from it being in even worse shape. I am very curious to know what it was like pre-GolfNorth. On the cart path only, this seems to be the norm up north, I'm not sure I remember the last time it wasn't.

Really enjoyed Seguin, will have to get back there next summer.

Haha yes, the Rock can be a cruel mistress. Watching your ball get ejected by a rock is always demoralizing.

Comment

Hopefully Brantford is going to move higher in the list. Maybe not in 2022 but 2023 for sure. The club is currently undergoing a nearly $7 million upgrade... redoing all bunkers, rebuilding 4 greens, moving a pond, adding/deleting trees, some mounding, rehabbing the cart paths and more. Work should be completed early summer of 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan I View Post
                      Hopefully Brantford is going to move higher in the list. Maybe not in 2022 but 2023 for sure. The club is currently undergoing a nearly $7 million upgrade... redoing all bunkers, rebuilding 4 greens, moving a pond, adding/deleting trees, some mounding, rehabbing the cart paths and more. Work should be completed early summer of 2023.
                      It should move (either up or down I guess) for the 2024 list.

Comment

First and foremost, let's lose Seguin for all the reasons Drew laid out in the other thread. To say it is better than King Valley or Greystone is nonsensical. I also think Cobble Beach is overrated and will move down.

Comment

Originally posted by ShanksMcDuck View Post
                          The Nest better move on up. It is a fantastic course.
                          Agree with Drew, Kawartha should move up higher and so should Lookout Point.
                          The Algonquin likely also moves up after more panelists have viewed the renovation.

Taboo is a course I actually really liked last year, it should also probably move up a bit but wont.

The Ridge at Manitou should be gone from the list. Conditioning and pace of play make it unenjoyable. Routing is ok but nothing out of this world.
                          Black Bear Ridge should also move down towards the bottom of the list. I will go play it again this year, but I didnt think it was anything fantastic.
                          Nest 100% big fan, great track.

agree with Taboo as well, played it a couple times last year for the first time in years, was very impressed

Comment

Glad Kawartha was mentioned. New holes look great.

Comment

Originally posted by althouse View Post
                              Glad Kawartha was mentioned. New holes look great.
                              Nobody on the panel will have time to see them, but I'll be curious to see how they turn out.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X