No announcement yet.
Collapse

Niagara Golf Trip - Courses?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a life long Niagara resident, I will offer my 2 cents. Would somewhat endorse, midlifecrisis post.
    Grand is currently the best we have right now. Keep it at the top of the list. Battlefield is decent, while Ushers is definitely more of a challenge, (forced carries). Grew up playing Whirlpool. Not to date myself, but used to pay $9 walking with a Niagara Parks employee discount. It's mature, some great holes, with the adjacent Niagara River, you can feel the history. Flat and only 2 holes with water, stay out of the trees, and you'll score there.

Would agree with most in avoiding Thundering Waters. Although, you can get some good deals there, which can soften the frustration. Twenty Valley is the dark horse, if you don't mind a bit of a drive. The course builds at the 12th hole onward. You can have a great round going, and then every successive hole becomes a real challenge. 18 is one of the best finishing holes in the Niagara region. If we have a hot dry summer, and you're looking late in the year, then strongly avoid. Limited water, and the course can become unplayable.

If you could turn the clock back, the greatest layout we had was Hunters Pointe. It's moote now, but it was such a fantastic and unique golf course. I still drive by it regularly in my travels, and it;s so, so sad to see it in the overgrown decaying condition it's in now.

Bridgestone J715 10.5
    Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
    Adams Super LS 17d.
    Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
    Scratch 8620 53d.
    Callaway X-forged 58d.
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
    Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
      Avoid playing Thundering Waters.
      Why does everyone hate on this course? I played it again in the summer and I had a blast. Great conditions other than the bunkers.

And you pass the half-way house like 15 times

Comment

Originally posted by 73monte View Post
        Being a life long Niagara resident, I will offer my 2 cents. Would somewhat endorse, midlifecrisis post.

Twenty Valley is the dark horse, if you don't mind a bit of a drive. The course builds at the 12th hole onward. You can have a great round going, and then every successive hole becomes a real challenge. 18 is one of the best finishing holes in the Niagara region.
        Yeah, our group played Twenty Valley this year for the first time in decades, and we quite enjoyed it. Particularly liked the par 3s, as I mentioned, and 18 is quite the finisher as you say. A really old fashioned, hidden gem feel from start to finish. For instance, you could never build a hole like #3 (was it originally #1?) these days. Can't believe there haven't been some car-meets-golf-ball incidents on that one. I also suspect they have a very active, happy membership, as it was quite hard to get on.

Comment

Originally posted by midlifecrisis View Post

Yeah, our group played Twenty Valley this year for the first time in decades, and we quite enjoyed it. Particularly liked the par 3s, as I mentioned, and 18 is quite the finisher as you say. A really old fashioned, hidden gem feel from start to finish. For instance, you could never build a hole like #3 (was it originally #1?) these days. Can't believe there haven't been some car-meets-golf-ball incidents on that one. I also suspect they have a very active, happy membership, as it was quite hard to get on.
          Interesting question regarding #3? No idea if it was once the first hole or not, but you're right in that if that road had of become highly traveled over time, something would have to be done. As for the membership, back around the early 90's, there was well over 600 members. Didn't cater to trunk slammers or tournaments at all. They even sold lifetime memberships decades ago, and I still remember some of the last ones that were left. I'm sure they've all died off now though.
          Bridgestone J715 10.5
          Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
          Adams Super LS 17d.
          Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
          Scratch 8620 53d.
          Callaway X-forged 58d.
          Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
          Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

Don’t forget bridgewater. For me Whirlpool has the best bones. It’s walkable as well. I do enjoy both Legends but, they are anything but, exciting. Only so much you can do on a pool table. Great place though to get in 36. Take away hole 1 at thundering and it’s acceptable. It’s also closest to Fallsview. GN is solid but again suffers from topography. Can’t go wrong with Penn lakes

im hoping they step up progress on Queenston Quarry. Land has lots of potential. They were there all summer but, small crew.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X