Collapse

Muskoka courses ranked

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post

Seguin Valley feels unfinished and that's because it is. They ran out of money during construction so they just sort of put everything together best they could and said "here."

I just find the entire property awkward and very shallow in purpose. One is a bad opening tee shot, 3 is a bad tee shot with the rock hiding the hazard from the players line of sight, the routing on the front nine feels forced to get to the 7th (which isn't a good par 3 either, btw. If you have to build a floating tee box on artificial turf to make it work for the front tees, it's a poorly routed golf hole, and the trees on the island are repulsive and take away from the "cool" factor of the hole). I find short 4's that force the golfers hand on how to play them are no different than a long, demanding par 4 that forces you to play one way (boring). Neither are good. Options are the ethos of architecture, and the 11th, 13th, and 15th all provide 0 creativity which make them feel like connector holes. Connector holes are fine, but when it's 33% of your back nine, well...

When they did try and build features, it feels incredibly mailed in, like the three bunkers on 1, the back right bunker on 2, the front bunker on 12 (why did they need that?), the front left bunker on 13 (why did they need that?), etc. I think the green site selection is alright--all on knoll's above the surrounds--but one or two down low would've been good for a bit of variety. I almost wonder if the property is so wet that they had to have every green raised, which makes me question if the site is even suitable for golf in the first place (I don't think it is). I played after quite a bit of rain so I can't comment on conditions. My connect on how wet the property is refers to the swamps and such.

Finally, I felt the greens were "ok," but rarely anything of interest worth talking about happening in the contours, and nothing you couldn't find at 1500 of the 2300 golf courses in Canada. I like 9 & 10 tee shot though. After the tee shot, 10 loses the plot a bit. 14 is decent also. Simple, but not bad.

Out of the 77 top 100's I've played, it is by far the least deserving to be on the list, but I imagine I'll get pushback for this. But again, I'm looking at it much more architecture-y than most, and maybe that's where some won't see eye to eye with me. That's fine! That's the beauty of golf. For me, this is a no bueno golf course. I'd go to Ridge at Manitou, Rocky (not public I guess), Muskoka Bay, Taboo, etc before Seguin.

Appreicate this detailed and thoughtful answer. I look forward to trying the course (hopefully this summer) and will give you my two cents after ! Certainly a lot of detail to keep my eye out for based on your review.

Comment

I would do . . . Friday play Rockey Crest on the way up . . . stay in Parry Sound and Saturday play The Ridge and Seguin or Parry Sound and Sunday play Muskoka Bay on the way back to Toronto . . .

I thought Seguin was OK . . . a few strange hole (#1 for example) . . . it is surely harder, not for beginners . . .

lots of very nice course, it just depend of the person and what they like . . . Bigwin for example, very nice and wide fairway makes it appealing for most of the players . . . MB (like Taboo) is a lot tighter but I think nicer. I lot harder to score well . . .
      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Given my situation I only play Rocky when up in Muskoka as we have a place there
        Rocky is public in that you can stay at the resort and get access - you can buy a players club pass which would likely get you on and a discount at the resort
        While up there I have heard that Ridge and Manitou is awesome, almost underrated - but is victim to its volatile ownership, so conditions can be highly variable - I plan on trying to get on
        Windermere (think Stanley Thomson) and North Granite Ridge are both good options as well
        I played Seguin once, wasnt really a fan, but the sheer mass scale of the property is very cool, its huge, and unwalkable, locals up there seem to love it, for me, I'd only go again for the Dairy Queen on the way back after the round

Comment

Originally posted by drewharvie View Post

Seguin Valley feels unfinished and that's because it is. They ran out of money during construction so they just sort of put everything together best they could and said "here."

I just find the entire property awkward and very shallow in purpose. One is a bad opening tee shot, 3 is a bad tee shot with the rock hiding the hazard from the players line of sight, the routing on the front nine feels forced to get to the 7th (which isn't a good par 3 either, btw. If you have to build a floating tee box on artificial turf to make it work for the front tees, it's a poorly routed golf hole, and the trees on the island are repulsive and take away from the "cool" factor of the hole). I find short 4's that force the golfers hand on how to play them are no different than a long, demanding par 4 that forces you to play one way (boring). Neither are good. Options are the ethos of architecture, and the 11th, 13th, and 15th all provide 0 creativity which make them feel like connector holes. Connector holes are fine, but when it's 33% of your back nine, well...

When they did try and build features, it feels incredibly mailed in, like the three bunkers on 1, the back right bunker on 2, the front bunker on 12 (why did they need that?), the front left bunker on 13 (why did they need that?), etc. I think the green site selection is alright--all on knoll's above the surrounds--but one or two down low would've been good for a bit of variety. I almost wonder if the property is so wet that they had to have every green raised, which makes me question if the site is even suitable for golf in the first place (I don't think it is). I played after quite a bit of rain so I can't comment on conditions. My connect on how wet the property is refers to the swamps and such.

Finally, I felt the greens were "ok," but rarely anything of interest worth talking about happening in the contours, and nothing you couldn't find at 1500 of the 2300 golf courses in Canada. I like 9 & 10 tee shot though. After the tee shot, 10 loses the plot a bit. 14 is decent also. Simple, but not bad.

Out of the 77 top 100's I've played, it is by far the least deserving to be on the list, but I imagine I'll get pushback for this. But again, I'm looking at it much more architecture-y than most, and maybe that's where some won't see eye to eye with me. That's fine! That's the beauty of golf. For me, this is a no bueno golf course. I'd go to Ridge at Manitou, Rocky (not public I guess), Muskoka Bay, Taboo, etc before Seguin.
          I was really hoping for a detailed review because I can appreciate your critical eye and it's for a course i've played a lot so I can probably learn something from your critique. The obvious intricacies of course design are far beyond me but it is nice to see we do have a lot of the same issues about the course. Perfect example would be on hole #3. The tee shot is blind, and if someone gives you a course guide it fails to mention that the outcropping of fairway between the rock and the hazard is significantly slopped forward towards the hazard with little chance of holding it. I guess this is one of your main issues with the course, it's forcing you to play a shot that the architect wants you to play instead of you using your imagination.

An interesting discussion in terms of the short par 4's. In my opinion only hole 11 should actually be viewed as a driveable par 4. Hole 15 is certainly doable and I have on a lark tee up an extra ball just to see if I could do it. But the risk is far too high to do in tournament play. Hole 13 is out of my range but certainly there are longer hitters that could be tempted. But is that the issue for you? That they are tantalizingly drivable based on yardage but almost not worth it as a golfer to go for it. And it all being on a single nine. I guess another hole similar would be the 2nd hole at the Ridge at Manitou. The yardage is good for a drivable par 4 but the intent is iron off the tee, and wedge back up the hill. And don't you even think about going for the green sir!!!!

I do play the course every year, with it's proximity to the in-laws cottage being 21 minutes away. But for playability I would play Parry Sound GC far more often and from an enjoyment standpoint I think it's a better course and less frustrating...outside of hole 9. I'm really not sure what McBroom was thinking on that one. Would love to pick your brain on that one Drew!

Comment

Just got back from a glorious week of golfing up in Muskoka. We did the Stay and Play at Rocky Crest. Stayed from Tues to Fri and played the following (my course condition ranking in brackets). We were very fortunate to have absolutely amazing weather - clear blue sky's with perfect temps - hardly any mosquitos and the dear flies were there but not too bad. Rocky Crest is an older resort and is showing its age.

Rocky Crest (8/10) - Every good conditions, great pace of play. Greens were smooth and quick but not too fast.

Deerhurst Highlands - (6/10) - course was in decent condition, greens were faster than RC - but the overall condition was not as nice as the CL courses.

Grandview - (8.5/10) I loved the layout - very picturesque - conditions were great. Greens ran smooth and true but was not super fast.

Lake Joseph - (8.5/10) - I never played a course with so many blind tee-shots - absolutely loved it! The elevation changes were enormous! Greens, like the other CL course - fast but not too fast. Aside from Muskoka Bay - this course absolutely beautiful - quintessential Muskoka! We were paired with a very nice gentleman who absolutely amazing! He was hitting his 3 wood close to 300 and very very straight - even his irons were amazing. All his shots into the green were like darts at the hole. HIs putting looked like a tour pro! Turned out he is a TPI Master Instructor. His game was a treat to watch!

Muskoka Bay - (9.5/10) - my favorite of the week. Course was in excellent condition! All of the holes and greens are so immaculately groomed and maintained! The greens were actually a lot slower than I remembered it from past rounds. I haven't payed there in a couple of years and was surprised at the amount of development - lots of new lofts, a mini-high rise hotel building. There were also some changes to the course from the last time I played - new bunkers added and some re-shaped.

Last edited by spas1; Jun 24, 2022, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spas1 View Post
              Just got back from a glorious week of golfing up in Muskoka. We did the Stay and Play at Rocky Crest. Stayed from Tues to Fri and played the following (my course condition ranking in brackets). We were very fortunate to have absolutely amazing weather - clear blue sky's with perfect temps - hardly any mosquitos and the dear flies were there but not too bad. Rocky Crest is an older resort and is showing its age.

Rocky Crest (8/10) - Every good conditions, great pace of play. Greens were smooth and quick but too fast.

Deerhurst Highlands - (6/10) - course was in decent condition, greens were faster than RC - but the overall condition was not as nice as the CL courses.

Grandview - (8.5/10) I loved the layout - very picturesque - conditions were great. Greens ran smooth and true but was not super fast.

Lake Joseph - (8.5/10) - I never played a course with so many blind tee-shots - absolutely loved it! The elevation changes were enormous! Greens, like the other CL course - fast but not too fast. Aside from Muskoka Bay - this course absolutely beautiful - quintessential Muskoka! We were paired with a very nice gentleman who absolutely amazing! He was hitting his 3 wood close to 300 and very very straight - even his irons were amazing. All his shots into the green were like darts at the hole. HIs putting looked like a tour pro! Turned out to be a TPI Master Instructor. His game was a treat to watch!

Muskoka Bay - (9.5/10) - my favorite of the week. Course was in excellent condition! All of the holes and greens are so immaculately groomed and maintained! The greens were actually a lot slower than I remembered it from past rounds. I haven't payed there in a couple of years and was surprised at the amount of development - lots of new lofts, a mini-high rise hotel building. There were also some changes to the course from the last time I played - new bunkers added and some re-shaped.
              Completely agree with this. MB is such a good course. Will be there mid August, hope for a sunny day. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Was up in Muskoka last week with a few buddies and played 6 rounds over 3 days. Weather was great (hot) and first year in awhile with no rain or CPO so that made play much easier. Have been going up to Muskoka annually for about 10 years in June so this year weather finally cooperated.

We stayed at Rocky Crest which was nice (clean) and wasn’t too busy albeit we are still not in prime time. Below rating of courses from best to worse that we played. All courses were very quiet, never got held up by slow play and rarely had anyone in front of us or behind.

1.) Rocky Crest - always a favourite, conditions were great. Staff friendly.

2.) Taboo - conditions were great, staff great, brisket tacos after 18 were awesome (played 36)

3.) Lake Joseph - No surprises, course much drier than any other making some fairway lies hardpan, greens good albeit slow. Starter great guy, others not so much

4.) Seguin Valley - first time playing, greens probably the fastest of the week, little rough around the edges but very challenging layout. I could see it not being fun if not playing well. Staff great.

5.) The Rock - well manicured but overall course just doesn’t do it for me. Too many blind shots. Staff were very pleasant.
                - Vessel Cart Bag
                - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver
                - Callaway UW 17° & 21°
                - Callaway Apex TCB irons (5-AW)
                - Callaway Full Toe 54 & 58 wedges
                - Toulon Chicago putter

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy3864 View Post
                  Was up in Muskoka last week with a few buddies and played 6 rounds over 3 days. Weather was great (hot) and first year in awhile with no rain or CPO so that made play much easier. Have been going up to Muskoka annually for about 10 years in June so this year weather finally cooperated.

We stayed at Rocky Crest which was nice (clean) and wasn’t too busy albeit we are still not in prime time. Below rating of courses from best to worse that we played. All courses were very quiet, never got held up by slow play and rarely had anyone in front of us or behind.

1.) Rocky Crest - always a favourite, conditions were great. Staff friendly.

2.) Taboo - conditions were great, staff great, brisket tacos after 18 were awesome (played 36)

3.) Lake Joseph - No surprises, course much drier than any other making some fairway lies hardpan, greens good albeit slow. Starter great guy, others not so much

4.) Seguin Valley - first time playing, greens probably the fastest of the week, little rough around the edges but very challenging layout. I could see it not being fun if not playing well. Staff great.

5.) The Rock - well manicured but overall course just doesn’t do it for me. Too many blind shots. Staff were very pleasant.
                  Well done . . . if you go to Seguin, you should make it 36 and go to "The Ridge at Manitou". I like both but maybe the Ridge a little bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by spinaltap View Post

I was really hoping for a detailed review because I can appreciate your critical eye and it's for a course i've played a lot so I can probably learn something from your critique. The obvious intricacies of course design are far beyond me but it is nice to see we do have a lot of the same issues about the course. Perfect example would be on hole #3. The tee shot is blind, and if someone gives you a course guide it fails to mention that the outcropping of fairway between the rock and the hazard is significantly slopped forward towards the hazard with little chance of holding it. I guess this is one of your main issues with the course, it's forcing you to play a shot that the architect wants you to play instead of you using your imagination.

An interesting discussion in terms of the short par 4's. In my opinion only hole 11 should actually be viewed as a driveable par 4. Hole 15 is certainly doable and I have on a lark tee up an extra ball just to see if I could do it. But the risk is far too high to do in tournament play. Hole 13 is out of my range but certainly there are longer hitters that could be tempted. But is that the issue for you? That they are tantalizingly drivable based on yardage but almost not worth it as a golfer to go for it. And it all being on a single nine. I guess another hole similar would be the 2nd hole at the Ridge at Manitou. The yardage is good for a drivable par 4 but the intent is iron off the tee, and wedge back up the hill. And don't you even think about going for the green sir!!!!

I do play the course every year, with it's proximity to the in-laws cottage being 21 minutes away. But for playability I would play Parry Sound GC far more often and from an enjoyment standpoint I think it's a better course and less frustrating...outside of hole 9. I'm really not sure what McBroom was thinking on that one. Would love to pick your brain on that one Drew!
                    As someone who played Sequin once last year, and is going back for a stay and play this year. I completely agreed with everything said.

We are doing the stay and play due to pricing mostly. It was extremely reasonable for 3 rounds with some food.

The course is a solid 6 or 7, the conditions were very good last year but you nailed it, it forces you to hit certain shots. There is a correct shot on every hole and you feel forced into that play.

Comment

Played taboo, ridge at manitou and Seguin valley last year.

Ridge was definitely my favourite, and will be playing again this weekend

Comment

In Muskoka I've played

- Muskoka Bay
                        - Huntsville Downs
                        - Lake Joseph
                        - Taboo
                        - Deerhurst Highlands
                        - North Granite Ridge
                        - Seguin Valley

Muskoka Bay is BY FAR my favourite. Whenever you combine top-notch conditioning with 10/10 wow factor, you're in for something special.

Comment

Spoke to someone at the resort where we stayed last week and they had played the Ridge at Manitou and said the greens were in rough shape (did not over-winter well) and we’re all covered in sand in order to speed them up. Wasn’t too pleased but we didn’t play there so only second hand comment. We have always wanted to play there but every time we look there is a conditioning issue going on. Maybe next year.
                          Last edited by jimmy3864; Jul 4, 2022, 09:29 PM.
                          - Vessel Cart Bag
                          - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver
                          - Callaway UW 17° & 21°
                          - Callaway Apex TCB irons (5-AW)
                          - Callaway Full Toe 54 & 58 wedges
                          - Toulon Chicago putter

Comment

What I’ve played in my favourite order would have to be;
                            Öviinbyrd
                            Rocky Crest
                            Seguin Valley
                            Muskoka Bay
                            Oak Bay
                            The Ridge
                            Taboo
                            Lake Joseph
                            Deerhurst
                            North Granite
                            South Muskoka
                            The Rock
                            Grandview
                            Muskoka Highlands

I didn’t include Diamond because it’s a 9 hole course however it’s a great track just over priced.

Comment

Going up next week and generally play these courses:

- The Rock (play every year - impossible to leave feeling good about your game)
                              - South Muskoka (above average muni and a decent value)
                              - Windemere
                              - North Granite Ridge
                              - Muskoka Highlands (it's 5 mins from where I stay and I still try to avoid it)

Comment

Just got back from a midweek getaway. Played twilight Taboo. Tee'd off early at 3:30 after spending some time at their amazing practice area. No one on the course. Loved it and worth every penny of the $103. Had to cancel North Granite Ridge due to rain the next morning. Got on Diamond in the Ruff for a 9 hole. Charged $62 with pull cart. I had to ask if that was for 9 or 18. We played 11 holes but not in order as their were two groups of sixomes. Decent track but not worth the dime. Then played Hawk Ridge Meadow Nest in Orillia. So so shape and not worth the $88 with cart.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                                X