Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

ASU Golf facility is...

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ASU Golf facility is...

    Pretty dam impressive to say the least... I can't even imagine how fun it would be to go to each day!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EhL5w_2Xf4


  • #2
    Thanks . . . this is amazing and to think others have the same or maybe better . . . $$ spend on College sports in the US is crazy . . .
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

    Comment


    • #3
      They built all this in the past few years after shifting their home course to Papago from the previous Pete Dye course they used, ( name escapes me)
      There is also a new clubhouse and restaurant whereas it used to be a small , run down, portable trailer.

      even though Papago hosted an LPGA event , it was always considered was a bottom -mid end end muni and one of the best value plays in Phoenix. With it being only 8 minutes from Sky Harbour Airport it's a course that we always put on the schedule for my arrival afternoon. Last Played it in 2019 and they were already doing some improvements to the course itself which is a good design , long and challenging but was in need of a facelift. Green fees have always been reasonable ( $25-$35) in September but that will likely change if it hasnt.

      Paige Spiranac used to hang out there, was in the range beside her once
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
        Paige Spiranac used to hang out there, was in the range beside her once
        Were you the guy that kept swinging with his head up and constantly standing back to 'check his alignment'?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Benz View Post

          Were you the guy that kept swinging with his head up and constantly standing back to 'check his alignment'?
          He said he was in the range, not sure he bothered to hit any golf balls. Why would you

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
            Paige Spiranac used to hang out there, was in the range beside her once
            U sure it wasn’t her mom - they both look the same - a pass for me x 2

            Comment


            • #7
              If memory serves me correctly , had no clue who it was until later
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

              Comment


              • #8
                Wow, that is amazing. They are getting pro treatment from the minute they walk on the facility.
                WITB
                9.5 Nike Covert
                15 TM Rocketballz
                3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                TM White Smoke

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                  1) They built all this in the past few years after shifting their home course to Papago from the previous Pete Dye course they used, ( name escapes me)

                  2) Green fees have always been reasonable ( $25-$35) in September but that will likely change if it hasnt.

                  3) Paige Spiranac used to hang out there, was in the range beside her once
                  1) Karsten Golf course at ASU....opened in 1989...closed in 2019.....land to be used for new sports fields

                  2) Maybe in Sept...and for residents....but currently (high season) $149 for non-residents.
                  No surprise...nearly impossible to find good tee times except for the odd single tee time near noon.

                  3) Paige....a FAKE bimbo POSER....used to whine and cry about women being objectified....yet takes EVER chance to show off her breasts.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                    1) Karsten Golf course at ASU....opened in 1989...closed in 2019.....land to be used for new sports fields

                    2) Maybe in Sept...and for residents....but currently (high season) $149 for non-residents.
                    No surprise...nearly impossible to find good tee times except for the odd single tee time near noon.

                    3) Paige....a FAKE bimbo POSER....used to whine and cry about women being objectified....yet takes EVER chance to show off her breasts.
                    Yes, September is considered off season still but IMO offers fantastic conditions, great weather ( albeit hot) and the best pricing. I have played Papago maybe 10 x and never paid over $40, often under $30 .....Beers are $2.

                    My group of friends ( all Americans ) still went down the past two years....30 of them this past September. c19 has impacted demand and pricing there as well. They didnt play Papago but September rates they quoted me were close to double what we have paid before C19

                    When I last played it in 2019 and some of the enhancements were in place and more ongoing we figured that pricing would increase. winter rates were already in the $75-$90 range. $149 isn't terrible when most other courses are all above $250 in peak.

                    They do in fact have a local residency card that offers better pricing

                    It's was a very good layout already so cant wait to see the improvements to the course are this coming September.
                    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                      Thanks . . . this is amazing and to think others have the same or maybe better . . . $$ spend on College sports in the US is crazy . . .
                      Wow - that looks like an absolutely amazing facility for practicing. It would be a bit of a dream to spend a day there.

                      But it does beg the question why the education system in America has become a $billion sports enterprise. Or is it $trillion?
                      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                      ...Iggy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
                        Pretty dam impressive to say the least... I can't even imagine how fun it would be to go to each day!

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EhL5w_2Xf4
                        Just incredible.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                          But it does beg the question why the education system in America has become a $billion sports enterprise. Or is it $trillion?
                          I have never been a fan of NCAA college 'scholarships'. I've seen too many articles/clips/features about high schoolers selecting which colleges they plan to attend solely based on the quality of the athletic programs, as opposed to the actual education they can expect to receive. Perhaps the reality is that few of them actually expect to receive any sort of meaningful education (an American college undergrad 'degree' in Political Science or Physical Education probably isn't worth the paper it's written on). And, relatively few college athletes ever play professionally.

                          I understand that college athletics subsidizes other non-athletic aspects of college activities. However, for example, when a football head coach at a public university is the highest-paid public servant in the state (at a salary of $9MM annually), something is really wrong.

                          The recent ruling by the NCAA regarding "NIL" may change things over the coming years, but possibly not in a good way for some. College players will benefit financially from personal marketing, which may undermine their need to receive scholarships in the first place. Further, many players seem to be using the 'transfer portal' which may indicate a decline in loyalty/allegiance/attachment to their current institutions. This may be attributable to the NIL, at least to some extent. Perhaps the NCAA opened a Pandora's Box with this one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            ASU's facility is pretty good but I'm not even sure it's top 5 college facilities in the US, which says more about the craziness than it does the quality of ASU's facility. Stanford has three different greens with Poa, Bent, and Bermuda greens--the most common they play on--so players can practice on where they're going! Benefits of The Bay...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by drewharvie View Post
                              ASU's facility is pretty good but I'm not even sure it's top 5 college facilities in the US, which says more about the craziness than it does the quality of ASU's facility. Stanford has three different greens with Poa, Bent, and Bermuda greens--the most common they play on--so players can practice on where they're going! Benefits of The Bay...
                              That is the 1st one that came to mind . . . Stanford must be absolutely awesome. Duke must have something super also . . . My sister lived in Raleigh and I remember NC State was known to have a beautiful place with a course design by Arnold . . . Wake Forest with the "Arnold Palmer Golf Complex" is also beautiful . . .
                              If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Latest TGN Reviews


                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard


                              Collapse

                              Today's Birthdays


                              Working...
                              X