/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Best course options from downtown Toronto?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Although I've never played Markland Woods, I suspect it would be relatively easy to get to during the week from downtown Toronto.
    MW is a wonderful , old school, parkland course. Easy walk and always in fabulous conditions. Greens could be the best I have played in the GTA.

shortish in yardage but a challenge nonetheless
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

You may want to try Piper's Heath in Oakville.
      Love that course. Will definitely be in the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post
        Royal woodbine is a decent track, but personally have tried to avoid it that past couple years, always a slow round, no matter the time of day
        Ya for sure. Just can't beat the proximity

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
          After work most courses should be offering twighlight golf.

the problem is that from downtown after work ( depending what time that is) you can be looking at 30-40 mins just to get to the 401.

Don Valley twighlight rate is $45.

Lakeview might be a better option and is significantly better than DV, IMO
          it is undergoing a reno so only going to be 9 holes in spring.

Richmond Hill ? Not sure what their twighlight rate is but in general Overpriced and underwhelming.

Westview and ST Andrew's Valley have good twighlight rates but a bit further up the 404

Ya, I'm familiar with the traffic going north on the 404 after work, it's brutal. Used to play Westview all the time when I was in Markham. I think Lakeview will be the way.

Comment

Originally posted by midlifecrisis View Post
            I work downtown as well and live uptown. Short answer is there is no good option given evening traffic (though COVID has diminished that somewhat). Closest (non private, non Clublink)courses are Lakeview, Royal Woodbine, Lionhead, Braeben to the west via Gardiner, or Parkview, Angus Glen, Westview to the north via DVP. A little further on, there is a whole host of additional courses such as SAV, Ballantrae, etc etc. Watsons Glen / Lakeridge / Royal Ashburn also fairly accessible if you're willing to shell out for the 407.
            I think going west from downtown will be the way. i.e. Lakeview, Royal Woodbine, Braeben, etc

Comment

Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
              Agreed w. others there is no quick way to get from downtown to a course at the end of a typica M - F anywhere near 5 pm.

The absolute best option you could have is a big budget and try to get into one of the privates within city limits, or near enough, some of the less expensive options (relatively speaking) would likely be Markland Woods in the West or Scarboro in the east but there are others. City muni's are an option but I have not been for years, no clue how easy it is to get a tee time as a single at twilight. Don Valley can be reached by subway and a short walk which helps the commute part, as can Dentonia for a twilight Par 3. Not the best courses but hey it is still golf. I thought last year SmartGolfDeals had some kind of a bulk discount on prepaid rounds at City municipals.

I suppose otherwise I would look at whether I was starting east of downtown or west of downtown, even if only by a few blocks. Crossing Yonge St. from either side anywhere just makes things worse. If west I would likely try to rotate between Lakeview, Braeben, Royal Woodbine but Lakeview this spring is only 9 holes but that might work for twilight anyway. If east then one could look at Tam O Shanter or Clublink Players Club at the Rolling Hills complex or some of the others mentioned as non CL courses.

Any way you cut it, there is no easy way and the bigger your budget the closer you can be. If you can see yourself living and playing in Toronto for decades to come then an investment in a private might pay off if you can afford it. FWIW I have lived in Toronto (downtown) since 1994 and have never been able to pull the pin on that kind of annual fee but that is me (too frugal). I also just accepted that golf after work was not something that would fit for me so was only a weekend golfer for decades until I retired.
              I've been inquiring at some of the private clubs. Not really sold on being locked into 1 course just quite yet unless the price/location is super reasonable, but that's not likely. I think something like the GTA Golf Club is a good option for saving $$ on rounds

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                Boy, remember they pffering me a "Twilight Trial Membership" about 6-7 years ago for, IIRC, $2500 Well, that ain't gonna happen again - EVER and in retrospect, I regret a bit now for not taking it, my one and ONLY chance to play a Private Course, but again, a guy drinking $8 Wine has no business belonging to a private club of any kind

If "budget" is important, Centennial Park to me is a nice option @ Adult 9 Holes for$26.00, Weekdays.

Good luck and cheers !

...maybe let us know which way you decided to go

Thank you! Considering centennial for sure. At least to get in a quick round, but maybe not for their membership.

Also considering GTA golf club since I also frequently golf outside the City on weekends. This gives me quite a few course options at a discounted rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

MW is a wonderful , old school, parkland course. Easy walk and always in fabulous conditions. Greens could be the best I have played in the GTA.

shortish in yardage but a challenge nonetheless
                  I inquired about a membership about 4 weeks ago but never heard anything back. I would definitely be interested.

Comment

What about the 3 west-end clubs: Weston, Lampton, Islington?

They seem very handy, and they never get much mention here which makes me wonder if they could be more affordable. I have no idea about them WRT pricing or waitlists or quality of golf.

Anyone know much about any of them? They "might" be a decent compromise.
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Because of Covid.....I gotta believe all or at least most of the privates in and around Toronto have all raised their initiations and all with 2-5 year waitlists.
                      Many might not even be entertaining intermediate initiations into their waitlist.

And any privates in the GTA worth joining are likely the same as above.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                        Because of Covid.....I gotta believe all or at least most of the privates in and around Toronto have all raised their initiations and all with 2-5 year waitlists.
                        Many might not even be entertaining intermediate initiations into their waitlist.

And any privates in the GTA worth joining are likely the same as above.
                        I would be stunned if all have a 2-5 year waiting list, pretty sure one on the best as often mentioned here (not mine) is more 1-2, but yeah, most have lists.

Costs have also gone up for sure but if someone was serious and flexible I'm sure you could find a good place to play for '23, not sure about '22 though.

Price has to be flexible as well, no negotiating and guessing intermediate pricing could be a real challenge. If your 2-5 was for Inter.... maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                          What about the 3 west-end clubs: Weston, Lampton, Islington?

They seem very handy, and they never get much mention here which makes me wonder if they could be more affordable. I have no idea about them WRT pricing or waitlists or quality of golf.

Anyone know much about any of them? They "might" be a decent compromise.
                          I have off and on interest in Lambton over the years as they have both golf and tennis. Mainly if I get to the point where my body tells me hard courts are a younger persons thing as Lambton has Har Tru (closer to clay). That said, pretty sure the full golf initiation is north of $50K so would not count as cheap (much, much less for just tennis though). I think Weston / Islington would come in lower however.

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post

I would be stunned if all have a 2-5 year waiting list, pretty sure one on the best as often mentioned here (not mine) is more 1-2, but yeah, most have lists.

Costs have also gone up for sure but if someone was serious and flexible I'm sure you could find a good place to play for '23, not sure about '22 though.

Price has to be flexible as well, no negotiating and guessing intermediate pricing could be a real challenge. If your 2-5 was for Inter.... maybe.
                            Mine is 5 years minimum, could be 6-7 as nobody seems to be resigning
                            Scarboro has likely 1 year, no intermediate class
                            Heard Burlington is 3-5 years
                            So with restrictions another good year for golf, bad year for $ golfers, so its a sellers market and no deals for intermediates
                            I'd be surprised if Markland had over 1 year wait, given seems gets lost amongst other Etobicoke St. G / Lambton / Islington / Weston and Toronto
                            Credit Valley might be an option
                            Centennial park has 27 holes, executive length and amazing greens, probably roll better than most clublink greens
                            Flemigdon Park aint that bad given its location, but 9 only
                            Cedarbrae is far from downtown but worth a call, heard they are pretty high w numbers
                            Think it depends on where downtown, if west bias, then the west end courses may be worth a better look, - the pulpit club is probably best bang for buck, although lots of bucks$$ for a high end membership

Comment

Originally posted by kcirtap View Post

Mine is 5 years minimum, could be 6-7 as nobody seems to be resigning
                              Scarboro has likely 1 year, no intermediate class
                              Heard Burlington is 3-5 years
                              So with restrictions another good year for golf, bad year for $ golfers, so its a sellers market and no deals for intermediates
                              I'd be surprised if Markland had over 1 year wait, given seems gets lost amongst other Etobicoke St. G / Lambton / Islington / Weston and Toronto
                              Credit Valley might be an option
                              Centennial park has 27 holes, executive length and amazing greens, probably roll better than most clublink greens
                              Flemigdon Park aint that bad given its location, but 9 only
                              Cedarbrae is far from downtown but worth a call, heard they are pretty high w numbers
                              Think it depends on where downtown, if west bias, then the west end courses may be worth a better look, - the pulpit club is probably best bang for buck, although lots of bucks$$ for a high end membership

This makes more sense.

Certainly longer waits and almost zero deals but there have to be places shorter than 2-5 years wait.

Pulpit is all about location, if it was closer it would be in crazy demand.

Comment

I've heard Clublink all GTA courses have a wait list, which is wild, given its clublink!
                                If willing to drive north, then Meadowbrook is also good or try buying a preferred pass / semi private membership at Ballantrae (which is near private club grade conditioning)
                                Whitevale
                                I'd be curious how much Summit is charging, given they eliminated initiation fee a while ago, I heard it came back but it isnt too high$
                                People like St. Andrews valley too

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X