Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LionHead Legends Course Rating

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LionHead Legends Course Rating

    Kaneff sent out an email yesterday and one of the items in it was the new course rating for the Legends. It now carries a slope of 155, which is supposed to be the highest in Ontario. I believe that the old slope was 152.
    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

  • #2
    Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

    They put in a bunch of new tee decks to get the rating up to 155. They want to stay one of the hardest courses in NA and quite a few have been popping up with high ratings.
    TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
    TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
    TM Speedblade 3 iron Accra proto
    TM M2 tour 4-pw Accra ICWT 95
    Callaway X-Forged 52, 56, 60 Pro Modus3 105
    Nike method MC3i

    Osprey Valley Century Club
    100 holes - May 2, 2016

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

      I have one rating for Legends:

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

        Originally posted by Golftime
        Kaneff sent out an email yesterday and one of the items in it was the new course rating for the Legends. It now carries a slope of 155, which is supposed to be the highest in Ontario. I believe that the old slope was 152.
        Is the slope system capped at 155? Thought I read something alluding to that in the Kaneff email.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

          Originally posted by compugeek
          Is the slope system capped at 155? Thought I read something alluding to that in the Kaneff email.
          Yes the maximum is 155 and minimum is 55. The 'standard' is 113.
          I entered some test scores to compare different courses, at my handicap rating of 11.2. A 76 at Deerfield (123/68) is equal to an 86 at Lionhead from the black tees (old rating of 153/76.3) in terms of handicap differential. With an extra 1200 yards in length I would be hitting on average 5 clubs more into each green and yet my score should only be 10 shots higher for handicapping. With the new rating the 86 would proably go to an 87.
          Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

            Originally posted by Pingnut
            They put in a bunch of new tee decks to get the rating up to 155. They want to stay one of the hardest courses in NA and quite a few have been popping up with high ratings.
            This makes no sense. Other than bragging rights but since we can not classify them as a private club their market is corporate golf and this would make them less desirable to play. Ummm, strange.
            Sounds like something Iggie would do.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

              Originally posted by slider
              This makes no sense. Other than bragging rights but since we can not classify them as a private club their market is corporate golf and this would make them less desirable to play. Ummm, strange.
              Sounds like something Iggie would do.
              Legends' marketing tactic is to make the difficulty rating as high as possible to attract those macho alpha males to play it so that they could tell or brag to their buddies that they've played the most difficult golf course in the country.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

                The difficulty of a course is really a combination of the Course Rating and Slope Rating.

                Course Rating measures the difficulty of a course for scratch players.

                Slope Rating essentially measures how much more difficult a course is for a bogey player, compared to that of the scratch player.

                Of the two measurments the Course Rating is actually more relavent than the Slope Rating. You can read more about it on the www.rcga.org website

                I do believe Lionhead Legends now has the highest Course Rating in Canada at 77.5

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

                  the new course at woodington lakes was making a similar claim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

                    Originally posted by Matt MacKay
                    The difficulty of a course is really a combination of the Course Rating and Slope Rating.

                    Course Rating measures the difficulty of a course for scratch players.

                    Slope Rating essentially measures how much more difficult a course is for a bogey player, compared to that of the scratch player.

                    Of the two measurments the Course Rating is actually more relavent than the Slope Rating. You can read more about it on the www.rcga.org website

                    I do believe Lionhead Legends now has the highest Course Rating in Canada at 77.5
                    Would it be possible to see a sample of the actual forms used on a couple of courses? As an individual I would like to tailor the calculations to my game, Drive distance etc.
                    From what I have read it looks like a course designer (or anybody else) can pre-determine within a point or two what a the course rating and slope will be. Do they use such a tool at the design stage?
                    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

                      Considering that Effective Playing Length constitutes approx 85% of a rating it's fairly easy to predict the ratings of a new course strictly by gauging the EPL. I suppose that is one reason many developers insist on 7000+ yard golf courses.

                      The Golf Association of Ontario conducts the course ratings in Ontario...if you have an interest in getting into the details of course rating I suggest you contact them, although my suspicion is that they would not share the details of a given course rating with anyone except the course itself. It also takes some training to decipher the forms used by course raters...it's a very involved process.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

                        Originally posted by Richd
                        the new course at woodington lakes was making a similar claim
                        ok i see why Lion head wanted to be re-rated.....the new course at Woodington has a rating of 76.9

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

                          Looks like the incomparable Mr. T made reference to this thread and opined on Legends' new development:

                          http://www.ontgolf.ca/g4g/2008/11/21...h-get-tougher/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

                            Any idiot can make a golf course the hardest, and Ted Baker is it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: LionHead Legends Course Rating

                              Originally posted by coe14
                              Any idiot can make a golf course the hardest, and Ted Baker is it.
                              As I mentioned before, Ted Baker is better off sticking to designing beautiful clothes rather than crappy gof courses.

                              Comment


                              Join The TGN Email List

                              Collapse

                              Recently Joined

                              Collapse

                              Topics: 171,939   Posts: 1,795,782   Members: 46,888   Active Members: 313
                              Welcome to our newest member, GrayPower.

                              Today's Birthdays

                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard

                              Collapse


                              TGN Sponsors

                              Working...
                              X