X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmcdam
    replied
    Originally posted by midlifecrisis View Post
    ...even though it is somewhat spread out and was no doubt designed primarily for cart ball.
    And designed by a masochist without a care how many golf balls people would lose

Leave a comment:

• midlifecrisis
    replied
    As mentioned, Settler's Ghost is pretty hilly ... might be an issue if you are a walker? Oak Bay is definitely a better course and also pretty flat; an easier walk all-in-all even though it is somewhat spread out and was no doubt designed primarily for cart ball.

Leave a comment:

• tniloc
    replied
    Originally posted by rsfairwaysandgreens View Post

I hear there are a lot of blind shots but they are only blind the first couple or 3 times you play it
    The issue with the blinds shots (3, 4, 5, 6, and 12) is that the landing areas are blind so you don't know when the group in front of you is clear. All the blind shots are essentially straight away holes, so aiming or knowing where to go is not an issue.

Leave a comment:

• duffer_mcmulligan
    replied
    Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

Correct, it was his brother Nicol, https://ghsc.ca/nicol-thompson/
    Lol, ok, it is a Thompson course then!

Apologies for the miss!

Leave a comment:

• 4underthru9
    replied
    Originally posted by bl8d View Post
    played most if not all the cottage courses on HWY#93. but none really thrilled me. The defunct Bonaire had the best patio of them.
    If I was still going up #11, Hawk Ridge would be my stop.
    Rates are fair, two 18 hole courses and a 9 hole course, never eaten there but friends have said good things about the food.

Leave a comment:

• bl8d
    replied
    played most if not all the cottage courses on HWY#93. but none really thrilled me. The defunct Bonaire had the best patio of them.

If I was still going up #11, Hawk Ridge would be my stop.

Leave a comment:

• rsfairwaysandgreens
    replied
    Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post
    My in laws live in Balm Beach/Midland and I have played Brooklea far too many times. They would join annually for over 28 years. The front 9 is OK, the back is hella boring. The owners, last I was there pre-Covid 2019, they hadn’t put sand in the bunkers in years and the greens were frankly awful. I have played Midland several times and every time I come back to my in-laws and tell them to join it. It is a far, far superior round of golf. However, they now won’t be playing golf any more, getting a little too infirm.

Settlers Ghost is a nice layout, hilly and undulating. when I played it, conditioning was meh (same summer 2019). Personally, if you have an annual membership with full booking privileges at Midland, I would far prefer to play there. While an old course, it is a Stanley Thompson, and the green complexes are damn nice. When I played it, I definitely felt it had a kinship to Banff Springs. Not in the same league, but some similarities.

Where is your cottage in the area? Trying to think of others nearby…..
    I live in Port Severn. The drive to Midland is a royal pain. Settlers is essentially the same distance but a straight shot down the 400, not driving around GBay. If Oak Bay (which can really beat you up) comes to their senses with a membership option, I would be hard pressed not to seriously consider it.

Leave a comment:

• hoganapexplus
    replied
    Originally posted by rsfairwaysandgreens View Post

You could probably say that about most courses. There is only so much real estate for golf courses. I played at Trafalgar for over 30 years, people said it was all holes running parallel to each other.

But I appreciate the feedback
    It wasn't even the parallel so much as every par 4 was between 310 and 330, and very little variety in the layout of them.

Leave a comment:

• 4underthru9
    replied
    Originally posted by almostasenior View Post
    I don't think Midland is a Stanley Thompson design? I think his brother or uncle was the original architect.
    Braestone (old Orillia GCC) is nice but I think they have priced themselves out of most golfers reach. Unless you have a million dollar home down the road lol.
    SG is nice but a bit repetitive. I enjoy playing Heritage Hills in the north end of Barrie. Lots of variety but about 20 minutes from SG depending where you are coming from.
    Bonaire used to be nice but it’s been 15 years since nice I played there.
    Correct, it was his brother Nicol, https://ghsc.ca/nicol-thompson/

Leave a comment:

• almostasenior
    replied
    I don’t think Midland is a Stanley Thompson design? I think his brother or uncle was the original architect.

Braestone (old Orillia GCC) is nice but I think they have priced themselves out of most golfers reach. Unless you have a million dollar home down the road lol.

SG is nice but a bit repetitive. I enjoy playing Heritage Hills in the north end of Barrie. Lots of variety but about 20 minutes from SG depending where you are coming from.

Bonaire used to be nice but it’s been 15 years since nice I played there.

Leave a comment:

• CC05
    replied
    Settlers is fun. Yes a ton of blind shots but if you become a member and get some rounds under your belt, no sweat. Bit on the short side. Maybe look down the street at Braestone. I think a better track than Settlers.

Leave a comment:

• duffer_mcmulligan
    replied
    My in laws live in Balm Beach/Midland and I have played Brooklea far too many times. They would join annually for over 28 years. The front 9 is OK, the back is hella boring. The owners, last I was there pre-Covid 2019, they hadn’t put sand in the bunkers in years and the greens were frankly awful. I have played Midland several times and every time I come back to my in-laws and tell them to join it. It is a far, far superior round of golf. However, they now won’t be playing golf any more, getting a little too infirm.

Settlers Ghost is a nice layout, hilly and undulating. when I played it, conditioning was meh (same summer 2019). Personally, if you have an annual membership with full booking privileges at Midland, I would far prefer to play there. While an old course, it is a Stanley Thompson, and the green complexes are damn nice. When I played it, I definitely felt it had a kinship to Banff Springs. Not in the same league, but some similarities.

Where is your cottage in the area? Trying to think of others nearby…..

Leave a comment:

• rsfairwaysandgreens
    replied
    "That's too bad about Midland but my experience as a public player, it's so difficult to get on at times that it isn't worth the effort. We've done a guys golf weekend at a cottage in Tiny around early June for several years now. We always try to get at least one Midland round in, but our batting average is only about 50%, and that's with booking as far ahead as they allow for public, plus using multiple personal local contacts within the membership of the club."

Public players can probably get on pretty easy Saturday and Sunday afternoons, I dont play weekends (have 4 day membership) but I do peek at the tee sheet and its pretty quiet. Through the week, the tee sheet is pretty busy. Tuesdays is Ladies Day and a lot of lades are members at MGCC. Wednesday is Mens Day and the tee is jammed all day

MGCC is the semii private club that is almost private, Mostly member play these days and we have a full roster of members and everyone seems to play golf

Thanks for the feedback

Leave a comment:

• rsfairwaysandgreens
    replied
    Originally posted by hoganapexplus View Post
    I found Settler's Ghost to be quite repetitive, with a majority of par 4's in particular being basically the same length. The starting 3 or 4 holes all run parallel to each other as well making them potentially dangerous. Proximity to the course is important.
    You could probably say that about most courses. There is only so much real estate for golf courses. I played at Trafalgar for over 30 years, people said it was all holes running parallel to each other.

But I appreciate the feedback

Leave a comment:

• Chambokl
    replied
    As I am reading this I receive a text asking me about SG. I took a picture of the answers and send it to him. That is funny . . .

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X