Collapse

The "Almost Built" Projects

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Almost Built" Projects

Compiling some "almost built" golf courses across Canada. Anyone have anything that comes to mind? Thinking big-name projects that looked set to be built, but for whatever reason, did not end up happening. A lot around '08 obviously. An architect switch counts too

I know there is a layout mapped out for Devil’s Den in north Whitby. All that materialized was a range and some volley ball courts.

I know the rumour was that Carrick was the architect.

Comment

Should be an interesting thread

Here are a few quick ones to get things started...

Faldo was involved with a proposed big development at Louisburg on Cape Breton.

Nicklaus was supposed to be involved in Cabot property way back and even had drawings done up

Close to home, Queenston Quarry limps along. There has been activity the last couple years but, man is it slow. they still water and cut the grass on the first three holes!

Grand Niagara was supposed to have a sister course by Norman that never did and never will come to be.

Comment

On the Muskoka Bay website, a map of the property shows another 9 holes north of the clubhouse. No mention of this on the Carrick website or anywhere else I could find.

Also on this map, you can see where the 11th hole was originally planned. I remember Ian Andrew mentioning on twitter that they moved this hole at the last minute.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Muskoka%20Bay_Site%20Plan_Revised_05-01.png Views:	0 Size:	750.5 KB ID:	3593715
        Last edited by InsipidNine88; Sep 28, 2022, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Niagara River Golf Club

https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...iver-golf-club

Comment

A second 18 at Goodwood

Comment

What was the name of the 27-holer south of Osprey Valley designed by Doug Carrick?

Kaneff has property there too for a course, probably had a Ted Baker design.

Comment

There were / are plans for a 2nd 18 at Rocky - I believe the land is disclosed in Clublink (TWC) public disclosures

Comment

Nick Faldo was supposed to design a Revelstoke resort course shortly after the mountain opened in 2008

Comment

Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post
                    What was the name of the 27-holer south of Osprey Valley designed by Doug Carrick?

[...].
                    Pinnacle Heights Golf & Country Club perhaps? Was planned for lands a little north of Osprey closer to Highway 10. Believe it was mentioned on here quite some time ago, and it looks like the lands were sold a couple of years ago, with some uncertainty still surrounding it according to this article in a local paper:

https://www.orangeville.com/news-sto...ew-owners-do-/

There was even a cool little video about it. Ambitious! ("Majestic views abound from every corner of the course."):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fWMRHuQzL0&t=4s

_______
                    NQRfPT

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post
                      A second 18 at Goodwood
                      Surprising, were they trying to squez in another 10 members?

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post

Surprising, were they trying to squez in another 10 members?
                        Haha, my understanding is that the original “visionary” for the project had a second 18 laid out and planned to plant it entirely in fescue. It would have been kind of cool I think. Sadly, ….

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelR View Post

Pinnacle Heights Golf & Country Club perhaps? Was planned for lands a little north of Osprey closer to Highway 10. Believe it was mentioned on here quite some time ago, and it looks like the lands were sold a couple of years ago, with some uncertainty still surrounding it according to this article in a local paper:

https://www.orangeville.com/news-sto...ew-owners-do-/

There was even a cool little video about it. Ambitious! ("Majestic views abound from every corner of the course."):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fWMRHuQzL0&t=4s

Thanks for posting that.

Very interesting. Based on the video, did Carrick actually complete the plans/drawings/design for that course?

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Thanks for posting that.

Very interesting. Based on the video, did Carrick actually complete the plans/drawings/design for that course?
                            I don’t personally know, but indications in the references I have read seem to indicate that the design was at least partially done, based on the newspaper articles and other sources. Didn’t see it listed in Mr. Carrick’s portfolio of projects on his website, for what that’s worth.

Did come across today an article from 2020 stating that the Pinnacle lands were in fact purchased by the same group that bought Pulpit/Paintbrush (now known as The Pulpit Club). The Pinnacle lands are mentioned in the portfolio of Longbridge Partners Inc. as being part of Melville Park, and the Carrick references are still there.

So, very interesting things developing up in Caledon if things go as (long-)planned.

I don’t know how up to date this is but here are the links:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/industry-news/property-report/article-longridge-partners-emerges-as-major-player-in-caledon-golf-scene/

https://longridgepartners.ca/melville-park

_______
                            NQRfPT

Comment

Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post

Kaneff has property there too for a course, probably had a Ted Baker design.
                              Came across this on the Kaneff project when I was poking around:

"Last decade, a project by Kaneff Corp. that was to include a new golf course and 100-room hotel near Belfountain, Ont., faced opposition from citizens and some elected officials who were concerned about water usage and losing prime farmland. That project was approved but hasn’t moved forward.​"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...on-golf-scene/
                              _______
                              NQRfPT

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X