Collapse

Glen Cedars now Pickering Glen

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tommy Armour V31 View Post
    There are a lot of courses out there, that arent quite as good as Cedars, but are very worthy of playing. Quite a few of the 9-hole courses in Durham (Spring creek, Pickering, Hawthorne) are all worthy to play and more reasonable, as is Bushwood's 18. Supply and demand. Demand has grown, and the owners can likely charge what they feel the market will bear. I have played Cedars a lot in the past 11 seasons as I live 5 min from it, but as the rates cliimb, yes there are better deals, and the pricing makes me want to broaden my choices of where to play. Just remember that there are a lot of choices out there, and give all courses a chance. I actually thought Bunker Hill to be a really cool course. I play the GTA Am Tour 8-10 times a year, so I have played many of the privates in the GTA & beyond, and yet I know you can enjoy a round on all types of courses. Think I will given Bloomington a try this year for the first time.
    I had never played Bloomington until last year. It was my last round of the year (November 5). I was pleasantly surprised. I’d rank it equal to Glen Cedars, and cheaper, particularly the senior rate. I expect I will play it often this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lionworld View Post

I had never played Bloomington until last year. It was my last round of the year (November 5). I was pleasantly surprised. I’d rank it equal to Glen Cedars, and cheaper, particularly the senior rate. I expect I will play it often this year.
      They have pumped a ton of $$$ into course over the past 2-3 seasons.
      tee decks and greens used to be pretty rough and shaggy but they apparently redid both last year, ....possibly the bunkering as well

It's less than 10 minutes from me but I haven't played it in a number of years. My buddy who is a private club member went with his hockey team a couple times and spoke highly of the improvements.

Extensive practice facility as well
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Capilano View Post

Until 2021, Glen Cedars was a great deal for twilight golf. Green fees (including HST) @4pm was $40 and @2pm was $60. Going back a decade ago, 4pm Twilight was $30 which was easy on the pocket for parents trying to interest their kids on the game. Markham Green also good option for teaching kids as reasonable green fees but busier course, and, of course, 9 holes. Thanks to courses like Glen Cedars, I can look forward to my retirement regularly playing a foursome with my Adult kids. Hopefully, my kids pass the joys of the game to their children. In the absence of good, affordable courses like Glen Cedars, who can afford to bring their kids to learn and fall in love with the game?
        I agree 100% with your sentiment.

And yes pre-COVID Glen Cedars was a very good deal. A decent to good course with very reasonable rates.

Now we have to look elsewhere for deals.

As for taking children/youths to learn the game, previous posters have mentioned other alternatives.

I highly recommend the executive course at Mill Run for youths/learners. 18 holes, of which 5 are par 4's. Plays from 3034 to 3495 yards. No water or 'forced carries'. Playable in under 3 hours. And the junior rate (under 18) anytime is $15.

The weekday senior rate is also fairly good.at $30.
        Unfortunately even this course now charges $40 during the prime hours on weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by Lionworld View Post

I've never played it but one of my friends raves about it - will be on my list for this year for sure.

In terms of Glen Ceders alternatives (as much as I love that course):
          Bushwoods (as mentioned above)
          Upper Unionville
          Watson's Glen
          Royal Ashburn

Comment

Originally posted by hbomb View Post

I've never played it but one of my friends raves about it - will be on my list for this year for sure.

In terms of Glen Ceders alternatives (as much as I love that course):
            Bushwoods (as mentioned above)
            Upper Unionville
            Watson's Glen
            Royal Ashburn
            Don't get your hopes up about Bloomington. Nothing wrong with the course, and worth trying if it isn't that far for you, but it isn't on the level of Glen Cedars in terms of condition or layout. Their new tee boxes are like concrete too, hope that improves this season

Comment

Originally posted by letsfly View Post

Don't get your hopes up about Bloomington. Nothing wrong with the course, and worth trying if it isn't that far for you, but it isn't on the level of Glen Cedars in terms of condition or layout. Their new tee boxes are like concrete too, hope that improves this season

^^^^^
              Agreed, No where close even IMHO.
              BTW Had the most amazing BIRDIE on Bloomington's hole 7
              Skulled one it bounced twice in the water across the pond, rolled up to 6" from the hole, won the Skin to boot. LOL
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X