Collapse

Dunnville Golf Club

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunnville Golf Club

Stumbled upon this fun 9 holer over the long weekend. Hole # 6 right on the Grand River is quite pretty. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about its history and designer. There's nothing on the site other than it was established in 1924. No plans or pictures in the clubhouse and I forgot to ask at the pro shop. People on here have said that it is a Stanley Thompson design, however it is not listed on the Stanley Thompson Society website. Features of the course (mounding, natural tilt of fairways) are reminiscent of Thompson.

Thanks in advance for any help!

While there have been some references to Stanley Thompson respecting the course, in his book on Thompson "The Toronto Terror", published in 2000, author James Barclay "...could find no record of Thompson laying out or constructing Dunnville." He pointed out that Canadian Golfer in 1923 and 1924 attributed the site selection and layout to John Sutherland, a greenskeeper of Hamilton G & CC. The pro at Hamilton was Nicol Thompson, Stanley's brother, and who "may have" asked Stanley to visit the site.

That may be as close as we get, and is probably the reason it is omitted from the ST Society website.

_______
    NQRfPT

Comment

This may be a similar situation to Norfolk which markets itself as “Stanley Thompson influenced”. Not to take away from either course though. I loved Dunnville and I am making a trip to Norfolk in June. Interestingly, as someone relatively new to golf I find these classic designs (uplands, Peel village, Dunnville etc.) more playable and enjoyable than the big ticket modern courses around the GTA. There’s something about the natural contours and well framed green sites that suit my eye and make my targets much more obvious. I find the large scale manufactured landscapes of newer courses a little overwhelming. Even my fiancée who is a complete beginner gets some enjoyment out of watching her ball run along the tilted fairways. These courses need to be celebrated and preserved.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
      X