/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Explain difference in shaft tips, length, etc.?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Explain difference in shaft tips, length, etc.?

Originally posted by storm View Post
    Not exactly. TourIQ chime in if I have it wrong, I was just there to swing the club

I believe all off the rack sets come with .355 tip shafts. Club fitters like to use .370 tip shafts. It allows them to be able to play with the weight and flex vs. the tapers which are a measure and cut to desired flex. You likely have a favourite club, usually a 6 or 7 iron. Well if you had the shaft frequency read, you'd see a gradual increase in CPM as you go to your lower irons, and a gradual decrease in CPM as you go to your longer clubs. Higher CPM = Stiffer, Lower CPM = Softer. I believe they say every 6cpm is a "flex". Generally you will see a CPM gap between your irons around 6cpm, sometimes more. Some of my irons were as little as 3cpm apart and as far as 11cpm apart (Mizuno).

So the fitting process I encountered was I was giving about 12 different PW with different shafts, different CPM's. I had no idea what the shaft was nor the "flex". Whatever one I seemed to like the most, best distance and consistency was my benchmark CPM for the rest of my set. The fitter now had some sort of mathematic formula to get a weight, CPM and length for each other iron. The result is a set of clubs that play to the "same flex". Every iron has more or less feels the same. The results are that I don't have a club I alway hook, I dont have a club that feels soft (generally longer clubs) and my irons really don't have a flex. I believe my irons were 316 CPM which on a tradition scale is above an X stiff?...I believe 306 was the benchmark stiff flex. But that was the CPM in that shaft that gave me optimal results. I ALWAYS recommend this to everyone looking for a reshaft. I paid $40/shaft and did 3-pw/50/54/58 which isn't much considering the price of a set of shafts, and there is no other shaft out here that works better for me.
    um.. ya.

i asked golf town if they can order me CFS stiff wedge shafts. Will advise once i hear back.

Comment

Originally posted by kalch View Post
      um.. ya. i asked golf town if they can order me CFS stiff wedge shafts. Will advise once i hear back.
      Just for clarification, (1) are your i20 irons S flex? (2) you want your Vokey's to be significantly lower in flex but constant length to your 9-iron? (3) how far do you hit your stock i20 5 iron?
      6. Shoot better scores?
      Maybe not, since 1 to 5 can yield out-of-spec conditions. As storm alluded to, sorry few shortcuts to doing it right.
      Last edited by TourIQ; Feb 28, 2014, 01:37 AM.
      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by storm View Post
        Not exactly. TourIQ chime in if I have it wrong, I was just there to swing the club

Generally you will see a CPM gap between your irons around 6cpm, sometimes more. Some of my irons were as little as 3cpm apart and as far as 11cpm apart (Mizuno).

The result is a set of clubs that play to the "same flex". Every iron has more or less feels the same. The results are that I don't have a club I alway hook, I dont have a club that feels soft (generally longer clubs) and my irons really don't have a flex. I believe my irons were 316 CPM which on a tradition scale is above an X stiff?...I believe 306 was the benchmark stiff flex. But that was the CPM in that shaft that gave me optimal results.
        316 cpm don't mean much if it is unspecified as to grip on/off and club length. Yes off the rack are generally all 355 unless shafted in graphite.

To be on same slope 1 inch = 8.6 cpm, so every iron as it gets shorter by 1/2 inch needs to be 4.3 cpm stiffer to be identical flex.

Getting frequency on the same slope is critical for directional control / accuracy. Since m is a leftie, too soft a flex = hit left of the pin, unless the whole set is too soft and he has already adjusted for it, but it doesn't smooth out the odd shaft which is different from the others in the set. When you pick the bad shaft you just blame your swing. How would you know any different?

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
          Just for clarification, (1) are your i20 irons S flex? (2) you want your Vokey's to be significantly lower in flex but constant length to your 9-iron? (3) how far do you hit your stock i20 5 iron?Maybe not, since 1 to 5 can yield out-of-spec conditions. As storm alluded to, sorry few shortcuts to doing it right.
          1) My i20's are stiff
          2) No, i think i want a stiff CFS wedge flex. But the heads of vokey's vs. i20 differ in weight, so how do i chose which actual shaft to put in?
          3) Stock 5 iron would be about 170

wtf is with ping not selling shafts?

Comment

1) My i20's are stiff
            2) No, i think i want a stiff CFS wedge flex. But the heads of vokey's vs. i20 differ in weight, so how do i chose which actual shaft to put in?
            3) Stock 5 iron would be about 170

wtf is with ping not selling shafts?
            I don't think ping does sell shafts. The eye 2+ used ZZ lites?...My dad wanted to grab a set for another set of irons and couldn't find anything but a few pulls. If you search the ping CFS wedge shaft it may have extremely similar properties to say a TTS300 or dynalite.
            Rip it and Sip it

Comment

Problem solved.
              Modern Golf has solved my problem. Baddabing.

Comment

Glad you worked it out.

Great thing about club tweaking, There is always a solution, no matter what
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Problem solved.
                  Modern Golf has solved my problem. Baddabing.
                  m what was the MG solution? Glad it worked out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                    m what was the MG solution? Glad it worked out for you.
                    Apparently, they can get their hands on some cfs shafts either from pulls or oem. they were very helpful and friendly.

Comment

Apparently, they can get their hands on some cfs shafts either from pulls or oem. they were very helpful and friendly.
                      m I'm glad it worked out for you. If you can, don't forget to get your set measured, to identify any problem areas

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X