Collapse

Garmin yardage inconsistencies

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin yardage inconsistencies

So lately I have been playing with others unsung gps technology and am noticing differing yard ages from the same spot. I have a vivoactive and one of my playing partners has a s2. There is a big difference in yard ages.

Anyone else notice this. Not sure if there is an update to fix this
    Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Re: Garmin yardage inconsistencies

I have a Garmin S20 and is consistent with my Leupold rangefinder. A friend has the Vivofit Active and it seems to have some inconsistencies, I suggested he update the courses and the software and it should be ok. I do update my Garmin watch at least twice a year.

Comment

I played with two others recently - me using my Garmin Vivoactive, one using the Bushnell Neo Ghost, and another using a Garmin watch (not sure which one but a couple of years old now). The two Garmin products were almost always within 2-3 yards of each other while the Bushnell was as much as 7-9 yards different. No idea which one was correct but I decided just pay attention to mine so I didn't stand over the ball worrying about club selection.
      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
      Srixon Star XV
      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

i had a similar problem with the vivoactive that i had.. Also when comparing it to my friends s4, there was always a few yards different. Upon closer checking found that i had my settings for metric system and hence meters instead of yard. Since the vivoactive has other functions like running, i was keeping it in metric but unfortunately it is a system wide setting and hence when golfing it was messing things up.

Just sharing so that the obvious can be eliminated....
        It's not about what you know, but everything about what you understand.

Comment

I play with 2 friends who use Bushnell devices and I use my new Garmin S20 - always within 1-2 yards so easily acceptable. My old S1 was much more inconsistent.
          No good deed goes unpunished.
          A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

for those that are using these devices, and may have become dependent on them, how close to the proscribed yardage are you carrying it? curious.
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by krikan View Post
              i had a similar problem with the vivoactive that i had.. Also when comparing it to my friends s4, there was always a few yards different. Upon closer checking found that i had my settings for metric system and hence meters instead of yard. Since the vivoactive has other functions like running, i was keeping it in metric but unfortunately it is a system wide setting and hence when golfing it was messing things up.

I think that May be the issue. Units were set as kilometres so I imagine the golf will be in metres. Thanks. Will give this a try

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                for those that are using these devices, and may have become dependent on them, how close to the proscribed yardage are you carrying it? curious.
                As close as fleeting talent will allow Note also that my course - Glencairn - has many yardage markers on fairways and my S20 matches up within very acceptable parameters.
                I had a Callaway rangefinder a years back and it gave yardage down to a decimal point. I always had a psychological issue with that. Like when I played Magna for the 1st time and our caddy was telling me to hit a shot 159-1/2 yards and bounce the ball off the inside of a mound so that it would trickle down to the pin. My return answer to him was to help read putts and I would handle all other shots.
                No good deed goes unpunished.
                A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by soccerguy1961 View Post
                  I think that May be the issue. Units were set as kilometres so I imagine the golf will be in metres. Thanks. Will give this a try
                  Quickest way to figure out is to press the side button for "shot distance" and it will show up in meters....
                  It's not about what you know, but everything about what you understand.

Comment

Originally posted by krikan View Post

Thanks for your tip. Unknown to me, my Garmin x40 was set to metric too. I was just about to return it.
                    Last edited by ecgr2035; Jul 5, 2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

So lately I have been playing with others unsung gps technology and am noticing differing yard ages from the same spot. I have a vivoactive and one of my playing partners has a s2. There is a big difference in yard ages.

I see that all the time with playing partners. Never understood why people don't use lasers. GPS varies all the time......laser can't.

Comment

how big is a big difference?
                        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                          I have a Garmin S3 watch and have become quite dependant on it, as I learned when I forgot it last week.

Every shot is different of course depending on lie, grass / wind conditions and how well it is hit etc.

I have sorted out maximum distances for my clubs and feel quite confident with these, particularly as the irons get shorter. Surprisingly, with a full swing, if hit properly, I can get quite close to the max distances fairly often - although it may not always be a straight shot.

My precision is not "to the yard", but more like..."yes, I can get there with is club", or, "no, I should not go past that point" with this club.

What it really helps with are approach shots where I need to decide if I can go for the pin by getting over a bunker or not with a particular club, or if I want to lay up to avoid a bunker set up a closer approach, or make sure I don't blow past the green.

As always...proper execution is the determining factor.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                            how big is a big difference?
                            I have now fixed this issue. My vivoactive was set on Metric so the distances shown were all in Metres. Once I changed the settings the distance is right on par with my playing partners.

Thanks for all the input on this one.

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                              I see that all the time with playing partners. Never understood why people don't use lasers. GPS varies all the time......laser can't.
                              Yardages to front, middle, back in a glance. See hazards that would ordinarily be not be visible... Especially if you haven't played the course before. Course management... planning doglegs and how much to cut off.

If you're playing the same course over and over then these points are moot.

Yardages from the 200, 150, 100 markers are within a few yards on my Mobitee app. I found the same goes for old Callaway gps.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X