Muscle or Cavity backs?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Muscle or Cavity backs?

Originally posted by warreng
    See?!?! This is the exact kind of mentality I was talking about with my first post in this thread.
    I think (hope) the poster was just kidding and maybe just made a bad joke. I can't imagine someone ridiculing someone for having a rough time out on the course.
    As for blades, I thought about trying them but having switched to a more players CB from a game improvement, was already hard enough to adjust to. No sense in making things any harder than they have to be.

Comment

IMO golf has very little to do with how good your good shots are and more to do with how bad your bad 1's are.

That being the case i would go for the cavity backs as they are more forgiving on your bad 1's.

but i would agree with the comment about getting lessons and then taking advice from your coach - that would obviously be best as he can see what clubs would suit you best.
      currently in my bag are:

Driver: Srixon Ad-403 10.5*
      4wood:Srixon Ad-403 16.5*
      2 x rescues: Mizuno fli hi clk 20* + 23*
      Irons: Mizuno mx-17's
      Wedges: Mizuno tour style 52*+56*+60*
      Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi C-series
      Ball: Srixon AD333.

Comment

Click on the pics:
        http://tutelman.com/golf/design/physics2.php?ref=#moi

As you might expect, the further we place the mass from the CG the more effective it is in resisting torque. If your intuition doesn't tell you this, it's time for another experiment.
        • Get two identical wire hangers and four identical "weights" (small objects considerably heavier than the hangers, but still light enough so you can attach them to the hangers with, say, masking tape).
        • On hanger #1, tape two weights to the horizontal wire as close to the center as possible.
        • On hanger #2, tape two weights to the horizontal wire, as far from the center as possible. One weight should be near each tip.
        • Repeat the previous experiment with both hangers, but note how "enthusiastically" each hanger swings or turns in response to the same strength of tap.
        The videos here repeat that experiment, but on steroids. (Click the thumbnail images to see the videos.) We have made a short barbell with steel weight plates and PVC pipe, and hung it so it can turn. If you don't want to do the experiment yourself, you can see what happened when I did it with the short barbell.

The two barbells (like the two hangers) are exactly the same mass, and they should swing identically in response to tapping the center of the barbell. But, in response to an off-center tap, barbell #1 will turn much faster than barbell #2. That's because the weights far from the axis of rotation contribute a lot more to the moment of inertia than do weights near the axis. Moreover, #1's motion seems to be all rotation, while #2 swings a little as well, indicating that the object's mass is getting into the

Comment

Thanks for the replys everyone, I think I will definately go for a set of cavity backs, but perhaps a set more towards the mid-low handicap side that I can grow into over time and still be satisfied with.

Out of curiosity, can someone give me a rough idea of what I would expect to pay for a custom set of clubs like Wishon 560MC's? Assume 3-PW,SW,LW

Cheers all.
          In The Bag
          Wishon 919THI (11), Accra XT60
          Titleist 909F3 (15.5), Adila VooDoo Stiff
          Titleist 909H3 (19 & 21 deg), Adila VooDoo Stiff
          Nike Blades 4-PW, KBS Tour Shafts
          Wishon CX Micro Satin, 52,60, TT Dynalite Shafts
          Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
          Titleist ProV1

Comment

Originally posted by cldale
            Thanks for the replys everyone, I think I will definately go for a set of cavity backs, but perhaps a set more towards the mid-low handicap side that I can grow into over time and still be satisfied with.

Out of curiosity, can someone give me a rough idea of what I would expect to pay for a custom set of clubs like Wishon 560MC's? Assume 3-PW,SW,LW

Cheers all.
            Well, if your'e going to look for a set of clubs along those lines and budget isn't a concern, wait for these, they come out next month:

http://www.deeprough.com/index.php/2...-mp-57-mx-560/

BTW, is it okay to post external links like this?

Look sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by cldale

Cheers all.
              Brand new, you would be looking around $50/head + shafts, grips and assembly. I would budget around $100 per club, but it depends on the shafts chosen.

Originally posted by warreng
              BTW, is it okay to post external links like this?
              Links to a commercial site in your signature is not allowed, but it is OK in posts as long as it is not for advertising and promotional purposes. Your link looks fine.
              Last edited by el tigre; Sep 12, 2007, 09:55 AM. Reason: Automerged posts
              Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.

Comment

You do have to realize that todays muscle backs are way more forgiving than yester-years. With the understanding of things like the Maltby Playability factor and other rating systems have helped the designers understand playability far more than they used to.
                Blades are still a bit of a players club, but they will not rattle your hands like the old ones did.
                Shortened hozels, placing weight where it should be so the center of gravity is in or near the center (and far lower than it use to be) have helped huge.
                A properly fit muscle is not something that should be feared to the extent it use to.
                You can now buy heads that will have the players look such as the Wishon 560MC which is a forged iron with CNC cut into the back allowing the blade look and feel but the forgiveness of a cavity.
                Regards
                Dan

True Length Technology TM
                Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                True Frequency Technology TM
                - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                - Master
                Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                - Advanced / Professional
                Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                - Class 'A'