Collapse

Adjusting lies

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting lies

When I purchased my component irons from a fitter I thought that he told me that he would check and adjust the lies when needed, for free. But now I'm thinking maybe he meant he only checks the lies for free. Can any fitters tell me what is the norm? Do you check and adjust lies for irons that you have sold for free or only check them for free?
    I've been having lots of problems with a few of my most used irons. Lots of shots slicing directly left even though the ball mark indicates a centre face shot. When I did a basic check of my 7 iron at home on a lie board with a peice of tape it seemed that the mark was mostly on the heel. I'm just wondering if this has been my problem lately with my irons. I have about 75 rounds and about 50 range sessions on them. When on the range I mostly use my irons. I was hitting them really well and it seems lately I can't get a good shot with most of them. My hybrids woods and driver hit great with the same swing.
    Last edited by guitarman; Oct 10, 2007, 08:05 PM.

Re: Adjusting lies

Originally posted by guitarman
    When I purchased my component irons from a fitter I thought that he told me that he would check and adjust the lies when needed, for free. But now I'm thinking maybe he meant he only checks the lies for free. Can any fitters tell me what is the norm? Do you check and adjust lies for irons that you have sold for free or only check them for free?
    I've been having lots of problems with a few of my most used irons. Lots of shots slicing directly left even though the ball mark indicates a centre face shot. When I did a basic check of my 7 iron at home on a lie board with a peice of tape it seemed that the mark was mostly on the heel. I'm just wondering if this has been my problem lately with my irons. I have about 75 rounds and about 50 range sessions on them. When on the range I mostly use my irons. I was hitting them really well and it seems lately I can't get a good shot with most of them. My hybrids woods and driver hit great with the same swing.

I think that you will get different answers from different builders....some will an adjustment of an iron here and there for free and may even do the first check for free others will charge.....the going rate is typically $5-$10 per club

if he said free.....remind him
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Weirfan pretty much summed it up.

I tend to bend for free (and offer a 6 month free tweak) if I build them.

Otherwise I tend to charge for my work (buddies get quite a discount).
      Everybody wants a slice of winner - dekker

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman
        If,as you say,the tape indicated a heel biased scuff mark, it would indicate the iron is upright. Instead of a slice you should have seen a hook or draw flight at worst.
        I don't know what make of clubs we're talking about but normally club lie and loft flatten from excessive use.
        If it was a custom make you should have received a spec sheet detailing the loft and lie settings of each club.
        I am sure your fitter will do right by you.
        I would have talked to him first before throwing this on a forum.

Comment

If they were not setup (and your fitter built them) he did you a dis-service. Every club needs to be certified for loft and lie before it will leave my shop, If he just assembled them run away from that fitter.
          A single degree of lie error on a PW is a 22 foot miss from 100 yards.
          Dan Twomey's set had 2 3/4 degrees of lie error on 1 club, prior to being corrected before delivery.
          Last edited by TLT Dan; Oct 11, 2007, 06:03 AM.
          Regards
          Dan

True Length Technology TM
          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
          True Frequency Technology TM
          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
          - Master
          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
          - Advanced / Professional
          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
          - Class 'A'

Comment

If you have a great relationship with the fitter, he or she should be able to help you with minor adjustments here and there free of charge or at relative low rate.

BTW, xMas is coming, don't forget to get your regular fitter something nice to show your appreciation.
            Last edited by Bellyhungry; Oct 11, 2007, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop
              If they were not setup (and your fitter built them) he did you a dis-service. Every club needs to be certified for loft and lie before it will leave my shop, If he just assembled them run away from that fitter.
              A single degree of lie error on a PW is a 22 foot miss from 100 yards.
              Dan Twomey's set had 2 3/4 degrees of lie error on 1 club, prior to being corrected before delivery.
              Yes but after 75 rounds and about 50 range sessions I was under the impression that lies need to be readjusted. As well, my swing has changed.

Comment

If your swing has changed than understandably some adjustment to the lie has to be made. (your KZG cbII are mild steel forgings and need to be checked regularly if you play a lot)
                Expect to pay for that adjustment since your new swing is the cause for the change.You are in effect being refit.

Comment

Even if your swing has not changed, but the club has - then yes, you would be charged for the alteration. The clubmaker cannot be expected to 'keep you in line' for the life of your clubs.
                  G-man - So they were originally set for loft and lie?

Originally posted by dekker
                  If your swing has changed than understandably some adjustment to the lie has to be made. (your KZG cbII are mild steel forgings and need to be checked regularly if you play a lot)
                  Expect to pay for that adjustment since your new swing is the cause for the change.You are in effect being refit.
                  Regards
                  Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                  - Class 'A'

Comment

Even if your swing has not changed, but the club has - then yes, you would be charged for the alteration. The clubmaker cannot be expected to 'keep you in line' for the life of your clubs.
                    G-man - So they were originally set for loft and lie?
                    Yes they were. I was only inquiring because I have been having trouble lately and had been told that after a certain amount of rounds that the lies may move out a bit. When I called my fitter this morning though he told me its mainly the lofts in the short irons that get out of whack. Although they are going to check the lies as well.
                    I was at the range this morning and decided to talk to a fitter that has a shop there. He looked at my irons and I think this guy my have been way out there. He said I should bend my lies up 5*, after looking at the sole of my iron. He also said that the shaft was way too stiff for me. Its a Rifle precision 4.5. I have a swing speed of about 85 mph with the driver. He measured the frequency of my 5 iron and the reading was 316. He also weighed the head and said it was a D4 and that was too heavy for me. He said it should be a D0. I have no way of knowing if this guy knows what he is talking about.
                    This morning on the range when I really concentrated on my swing I am able to hit very well. Concentration is something that I lose very easily on the golf course which is why I don't do well with irons there. For some reason I don't have a problem with hybrids and fairway woods. The driver is 50/50. My biggest challenge is my balance and weight shift. I think the best thing I can do now is go get myself checked by my instructor.
                    Last edited by guitarman; Oct 11, 2007, 12:33 PM.

Comment

if you need 5degrees up see if you can demo these http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=21575

Comment

Originally posted by nearace
                        if you need 5degrees up see if you can demo these http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=21575
                        I'm a lefty.

Comment

I gaurantee you do not need them 5 degrees up
                          Regards
                          Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                          - Class 'A'

Comment

What if I like them 4° flat?
                            Everybody wants a slice of winner - dekker

Comment

Yup I could not wait to grab my club out of his hands and get out of there. He said I'd hit straighter and more consistent but not as far.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X