Clones -Vs- Brands?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clones -Vs- Brands?

Originally posted by Bogeybog
    Greetings, my first post here although I do belong to several other forums. I am enjoying the discussions on this board.
    welcome aboard, good to have you here!

Comment

matched to ensure consistency from club to club. How many golfers do you know that have a favourite club (their 5i,7i or whatever) in their bag? With properly built clubs each club becomes your favourite giving you consistency from shot to shot
      Easier said than done. Just curious? How would you go about that? Swingweighted matched? MOI matched? Single frequency matched? Balance point matched?

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin
        Easier said than done. Just curious? How would you go about that? Swingweighted matched? MOI matched? Single frequency matched? Balance point matched?
        As I mentioned, I am just a ho building clubs for myself and my wife and a couple of friends. I spine the shafts using a spine finder to find NBP, then weigh components for swingweight matching. I then align the Flat Line Oscillation (FLO) to target and assemble clubs to correct length.

Trained (and better equiped) clubmakers will also frequency match the shafts to ensure single consistent frequency and/or use an NF2 to measure and match shaft deflection. Tuttleman will soon be releasing his plans for the NF4 which apparently will enable shaft profiling to enable building a consistent set. (I would love to have and am toying with the idea of building an NF2 but the time and money would probably be better spent with several woodworking projects that have piled up and I have been putting off... what with golf, ho-ing, golf, darn the seasons's over-time to build some clubs and head to the dome... and oh yeah, work!). Tom Wishon also sells a period counter and software to enable MOI matching of clubs.

Any of these methods, (and TinTin, I somehow suspect that you would agree) IMHO and from personal experience not just research, done with care and attention using quality components, will produce a much more consistent and better performing set of clubs then any OEM clubs you can buy off the shelf for any price.

TLT/MOI matched.

Comment

Originally posted by Mok
          welcome aboard, good to have you here!
          Thanks Mok, good to be here. I only found this board a couple of days ago. Great to see a forum for T.O. golfnuts and friends!

TLT/MOI matched.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
            Yes, I am a member of the Ottawa Golf forum, and the Single Axis forum, and the Natural Golf forum, and the Swinglikemoe forum, and some of the technical forums, as well. Helps to be retired.

In the back of my mind I have always wanted to have a little trournament in Ottawa for single axis players only, even LPG'ers. There are probably a fairly large number of us now in the metro Ottawa area and it would be interesting to meet and share SA stories or lies.

Perhaps in the spring.
            Shadow, great idea! Please keep me posted. Would love to be able to attend (I do have some business in Eastern Ontario, maybe I can combine some pleasure with business, or at least have an excuse for SWMBO ).

TLT/MOI matched.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
              Having been a clubmaker for about 17 years I have had experience with all forms of club heads. Clones are knockoffs. Frequently, poor imitations of the real thing, but sometimes quite playable, depending on how the clubmaker fits and matches the heads with appropriate shafts. Some say that because they are made in the same foundry, they are same with different names stamped on them. Possibly, but highly unlikely. Just because they may be made in the one of the few foundrys that make heads, does not mean that they are made from the same "molds," and certainly does not mean that they were made with the same alloys.

A better choice than the clones and the OEM's, are reputable component companies like Wishon Golf, Golfsmith, Golfworks, SMT, Ashton, Bang, Alpha Reaction, who research and design original component heads. For example, Tom Wishon is an industry leader in shaft and head, design and analysis. The good products that he and the others produce, are as playable as any OEM, at a fraction of the price. Check out his 550C and 550B's at www.wishongolf.com. If assembled and matched by a competent clubmaker, you will be very pleased with the clubs. Having disassembled many sets of OEM irons, Hogan, Titleist, Callaways, etc., you would be appaled at the quality control and some of the things that I have seen, to the point where you might say, "Never, again!". There is very little wrong with the design of the OEM heads; it's just the assembly that is sometimes sub-standard.
              Thanks for the great information Shadow. And welcome to the forum.
              Based on reading your post and some other great posts on this discussion forum, I would not buy a clone golf club or golf set anymore even if I considered it at one point.
              You may contact me with general questions about the forum.
              Advertising requests should be emailed to advertise@torontogolfnuts.com.
              Contact us to organize a TGN golf day/TGN tournament at your golf course, email events@torontogolfnuts.com.
              Thank you to all our members and sponsors for your continued support. Looking forward to a brand new golf season.

Comment

Any of these methods, (and TinTin, I somehow suspect that you would agree) IMHO and from personal experience not just research, done with care and attention using quality components, will produce a much more consistent and better performing set of clubs then any OEM clubs you can buy off the shelf for any price.
                re:Your suspicions. I have all these toys and can help you build a NF2.
                You can also use Dave T's method for MOi matching. All you need is a swingweight scale.

Comment

re:Your suspicions. I have all these toys and can help you build a NF2.
                  You can also use Dave T's method for MOi matching. All you need is a swingweight scale.
                  Tintin, thank you for the generous offer. I might just take you up on that!

TLT/MOI matched.

Comment

All right then. Clones no but components yes. So here are a few components companies that have warehouses here in Canada and some of them in the greater Toronto area. Here goes:

http://www.cosmogolf.ca/
                    www.customclubshop.com
                    www.golfquip.com
                    www.golfsmith.com
                    www.golfworks.com
                    www.sgdistributing.com
                    http://www.golfoundry.com/

In my haste I forgot the following web site: www.konagolfsales.com

Comment

try elta golf 110 ironside / south of steeles east of markham rd / unit 14 lots of choices irons woods [metals] shafts grips / supplies good prices
                      grip lite & swing smooth

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X