Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mizuno MP 18 irons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mizuno MP 18 irons

Anyone gaming these? If so, any mid single digit hcp's? (6-8)...

Having a tough time deciding whether to go:

MP 18 SC pw-4 or
    MP 18 mb pw, 9, 8, SC 7-5 and hi-fli 4

etc etc etc (endless possibilities, but not really interested in the mmc)

Currently gaming MP 25's and really love the pw-5. Ditched the 4i for a mizzy hybrid...

Please chime in... Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by soupy1994; Jan 11, 2018, 07:57 PM.

I was gonna get the MP18s and had ur exact debate.

What are your strengths and weaknesses. Do you like working the ball and flighting it?

Me personally i would take ur sexond option of the flihi sc mb split. Im also a 7-9hcp. I ended up getting Maltby MMBs instead simply because the mp18s werent offered with the shaft i wanted. Plus i play a 3/8ths moi build so the mp18s woulda been double the price.
    Driver---Taylormade M3 (8.5) Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X 45"
    3W------Cobra King F6 (14.5) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 42.65"
    5W------Cobra King F6 Baffler (17.5) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 41.75"
    3H-------Cobra King F6 (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.4"
    Irons------Maltby MMB-17 4-PW Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG) & Taylormade Hi-Toe (60) Modus 3 125X/Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter-----Taylormade Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Midslim 2.0

Comment

I got a used SC set on eBay but havenít arrived yet... Iím a 5.1 index and canít wait to use it this year... the sc will be replacing mp62... I think if your ball striking is good and can hit about 14 greens per round then I say yes use blades... lots of ppl can get down to single digit handicap just by chopping and putting...
      But I will for sure post review once theyíre in my hand.

Comment

I wrote quite the extensive review on golfWRX on the MP18's and encourage you to check it out:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...-plus-the-bag/

Comment

I think either way you should sell your MP25s for a good price. Hope they have KBS Tours Stiff shafts on them
          Sunmountain 3.5LS
          Cobra
          Fly Z+ driver, Fly Z+ 3 wood, Fly Z 2 & 4 hybrid
          Mizuno
          MP 59 5-PW, S5 52, 56 & 60 - KBS Tour S
          Scotty Cameron
          Newport 3

Comment

Iím a typically around a 4-5 handicap and for me the first thing has always been look at address and feel. If it passes both those tests then I will test more with more ball striking. If it has too much offset or I can see itís back cavity I wonít even hit it. Iíve always leaned towards a forged CB as it is still close to a blade but with a touch added forgiveness. Next is distance control and I always worry a bit with a lot of the new iron tech having consistent numbers. I want to hit a PW 134 if I typically always hit it 134 with traditional lofts or very close to. Last time I was in BC I had to rent a set of clubs and was given TM M2s......those things went dead straight and I was air mailing wedges 10-20 yards over greens all day lol. A 3 iron is 21* and always will be. My next set will most likely be SCís or 718 CBs but the Srixon 765s also look very nice. Considering Iíve played mp30, mp62, and now mp64 Iíll most likely be back with Mizuno like always. Lastly is being able to work the ball and flight it but I only hit those shots when necessary meaning in the wind or around a tree or corner......those M2s were impossible to work but I hit them so high that no tree was ever in the way lol
            2017 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/ Diamana D+ 60x
            Tour Issue SLDR S Mini Driver 15.6* w/ Motore Speeder 7.2s TS
            Titleist 913H 19* w/ Motore Speeder 8.8s TS
            Callaway ApexU 21* w/ KBS TourV
            Mizuno MP-64 4-PW w/ DG S300
            Vokey SM5 Raw 54* M and 60*K S400
            2015 Scotty Cameron Golo5 34"

Comment

Originally posted by cjcruz View Post
              I think either way you should sell your MP25s for a good price. Hope they have KBS Tours Stiff shafts on them
              perfect timing. my mp18 comes with kbs tour 120 stiff and will be pulling them out when i picked them up from the buffalo warehouse hopefully tmrw if the weather isn't so bad... so they will be going to the market. just a heads up lol or i can put them on my mp62

Comment

I've hit the MP-18 6 irons extensively over the last couple of months, trying to decide on head & shaft combo. My instructor's practice bay has the Mizuno fitting-cart at my disposal, so I can mix & match as my heart desires. For me, I don't find the SC to offer an advantage over the MB. I quite like the MMC too. And the Fli-Hi will definitely be in my long irons. The feel across all 4 models is very very good IMO, and makes it hard to pick a set make-up.

For shaft, I'm liking the Nippon Modus3 120S.
                On the days when I'm hitting really well, I prefer the Modus3 120X, but I'm sure I'll go with the 120S.

I am leaning towards MB PW-6 with Fli-Hi 6i & 5i I will have both Fli-Hi's built +1/4" longer and they will act/gap as the 5i & 4i in my set. ( the number on the bottom is only a number ). I've been paying close attention to the added distance offered by the Fli-Hi's, and like that I can get added distance and height, but in a shorter club length due to the Fli-Hi's engineering.

- Andy
                WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
                Cobra F8+ with Attas 5 GoGo 60 Stiff
                Callaway 816 16* with Rogue Black 70 Stiff
                Titleist 915HD 17.5* with Rogue Black 80 Stiff

Callaway X Forged UT 22* with Accra i110
                Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Modus3 120 Stiff ( SL & TLT )
                Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Accra i110
                Nike VR Pro 54* & 60* with Accra i110
                Edel E-2 Putter with Pure grip
                Nike Platinum/Black

Comment

Thanks for buzz guys. Lot's of great info. Sweet review tobybear. Was fitted into PX LZ 6.5's today but boy did the DG AMT X100 tour issue give it a good run... too close to be honest...

My mp 25's do have KBS Tour S in them, however, the finish on the clubs is flaking off pretty miserably. I inquired to Mizuno and they decided to give me the option of replacing them with the MP 18 line. Class act.

Thanks again for the buzz on this thread. Cheers

Comment

In my many days of trying MP-18 irons, some days a certain shaft is just money, and some days it's not. It makes the whole fitting thing a conundrum, based on "what to do have that day" for your swing. As much as I like the Modus3 120X when I'm "on", on average I'd be safer deferring to the 120S. I may start a new thread on the subject of a short-term fitting trial, vs a long-term fitting trial.
                    WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
                    Cobra F8+ with Attas 5 GoGo 60 Stiff
                    Callaway 816 16* with Rogue Black 70 Stiff
                    Titleist 915HD 17.5* with Rogue Black 80 Stiff

Callaway X Forged UT 22* with Accra i110
                    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Modus3 120 Stiff ( SL & TLT )
                    Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Accra i110
                    Nike VR Pro 54* & 60* with Accra i110
                    Edel E-2 Putter with Pure grip
                    Nike Platinum/Black

Comment

Advanced Search

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 160,868   Posts: 1,689,856   Members: 45,308   Active Members: 267
                    Welcome to our newest member, Epic Pro.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                    X