Collapse

Anyone go back in time?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone go back in time?

I don't golf as much as I used to, so I figured, instead of trying out the latest and greatest gear (and have a bunch of money tied up in gear), sell my stuff and put together a cheap "retro-ish" bag of clubs .No adjustability, no speed pockets, just good quality gear that I used to enjoy playing .

Scores have been similar to my usual level of play, so after all of these years chasing the Holy Grail of clubs, its been the end user all along. Haha!

Anybody else enjoy busting out the old twigs for a round?

Here's the set-up:

TM R510 TP w/Speeder (looking for a cheap 905 or 983)
    Titleist 906F4 15 and 18 fwys w/Proto-By-You
    Titleist 804 OS 5-PW w/Nippons
    Original Vokey SM w/stock steel
    And I have one blade and one mallet putter I rotate.
    Callaway X Hot Pro 8.5* w/ MCS X flex
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5* 3 Deep w/ Aldila Tour Green S flex
    Callaway X Hot 18* and 23* w/ PX 6.0
    Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 5-PW w/ PX 5.5
    Callaway Jaws X Series 52/56/60 w/ stock uniflex
    Heavy Putter K3 w/ Superstroke Flatso Mid

At least once per year...I will game my first full set of irons...Titleist DTR's steel shaft 2 iron to SW...Callaway Big Bertha Warbirds...Bullseye Putter...Titleist DT wound balls...scoring usually simular in the high 90's range but mishits sting the arms alittle more.

Comment

Originally posted by tywl View Post
      At least once per year...I will game my first full set of irons...Titleist DTR's steel shaft 2 iron to SW...Callaway Big Bertha Warbirds...Bullseye Putter...Titleist DT wound balls...scoring usually simular in the high 90's range but mishits sting the arms alittle more.
      Don't have them anymore, damn, but I really loved my DTR's (Distance Through Research for the younger guys) I hung on to the SW from the set for awhile and sharpened the grooves a few times.
      It was my go to club for 100 yard shots back then, since then I have like other golf nuts spent a fortune on newer clubs but felt I played a better game back then.
      Of course the older I get the better I played back then.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DTRSW.jpg Views:	1 Size:	465.7 KB ID:	2811435
      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I bring out the old blades every once in a while, only when I need to really focus on my game.

Comment

My retro set is 1991 Ben Hogan apex grind irons from 1-equalizer and a Hogan sw with Hogan apex 4 shafts as well as a pair of Spalding woods 2w and 4w.

Comment

When I see a guy like Matt Kane smack my ancient RBZ driver 270+, I know (knew) that it’s not the twigs that are the problem. I can only manage 200-215 outta that. Tho, I did manage a 252 yard drive at Muskoka Bay yesterday.
            – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
              I don't golf as much as I used to, so I figured, instead of trying out the latest and greatest gear (and have a bunch of money tied up in gear), sell my stuff and put together a cheap "retro-ish" bag of clubs .No adjustability, no speed pockets, just good quality gear that I used to enjoy playing .

Scores have been similar to my usual level of play, so after all of these years chasing the Holy Grail of clubs, its been the end user all along. Haha!

Anybody else enjoy busting out the old twigs for a round?

Here's the set-up:

TM R510 TP w/Speeder (looking for a cheap 905 or 983)
              Titleist 906F4 15 and 18 fwys w/Proto-By-You
              Titleist 804 OS 5-PW w/Nippons
              Original Vokey SM w/stock steel
              And I have one blade and one mallet putter I rotate.
              I've got a "retro" bag I break out once in a while.

975J Driver
              VSteel 3&5
              Taylor RAC Blades (1st issue)
              Original Trusty Rustys
              Callaway s2h2 putter

It's nice using the old sticks; amazingly, they perform just as well as my current kit.

Comment

There are some clubs I wish I'd kept.. but I always sell what I'm not using or saving for the kids.
                TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

I never left. Almost all my clubs are from the late 80's or early 90's. I bought them all here on the BST in the late 2000's!

I just don't have the game to spend more. Sometimes I pine for new wedges, but eventually a lefty posts up some newer Clevelands and I call that good enough for me!
                  Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
                  Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
                  Nike 23 degree hybrid
                  Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
                  Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
                  Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	irons.JPG Views:	1 Size:	235.3 KB ID:	2811978Click image for larger version  Name:	woods.JPG Views:	2 Size:	152.4 KB ID:	2811980

OK so I must basically be a fossil! I'm a member of the Golf Historical Society and I play a cobbled together set of Hickory Shafted clubs ( woods, irons and putter) that were all made in the 1920's and "renovated" so they don't kill anyone....re-gripped, heads re-epoxied, shafts refinished and whipped etc. I actually played 18 holes last week at Watson's Glen in Ajax with them and played Port Hope G&CC today with them.
                    Last edited by NiblickJeff; Jun 15, 2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I have a full set of Persimmons along with a walter hagen ( by Wilson ) forged blades that I have used a LOT this year after finding them at a thrift store a few months ago. Blades are blades ( but with VERY weak lofts ) but with persimmon woods its a different ball game and a bunch of fun

Comment

Great stories guys, keep them coming!
                        Callaway X Hot Pro 8.5* w/ MCS X flex
                        Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5* 3 Deep w/ Aldila Tour Green S flex
                        Callaway X Hot 18* and 23* w/ PX 6.0
                        Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 5-PW w/ PX 5.5
                        Callaway Jaws X Series 52/56/60 w/ stock uniflex
                        Heavy Putter K3 w/ Superstroke Flatso Mid

Comment

Originally posted by NiblickJeff View Post
                          Click image for larger version Name:	irons.JPG Views:	1 Size:	235.3 KB ID:	2811978Click image for larger version Name:	woods.JPG Views:	2 Size:	152.4 KB ID:	2811980

OK so I must basically be a fossil! I'm a member of the Golf Historical Society and I play a cobbled together set of Hickory Shafted clubs ( woods, irons and putter) that were all made in the 1920's and "renovated" so they don't kill anyone....re-gripped, heads re-epoxied, shafts refinished and whipped etc. I actually played 18 holes last week at Watson's Glen in Ajax with them and played Port Hope G&CC today with them.
                          Good for you, there are many golf clubs I wish I had kept but none anywhere near that old, kind of explains your handle on here though.
                          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I'm a bit of a Retro-nut myself and my tradition was to start and finish the season with one of my retro sets.

the peculiar thing I found with the retros, because they aren't off-set, is that I play them better from a slightly open stance whereas the more recent off-set, I have to play from a slightly closed stance.

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

just retired a Taylormade r510tp, such a classic that will find a nice home in the backup bag!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X