Collapse

What age stop carrying clubs

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age stop carrying clubs

After a gruelling round in the heat yesterday at Osprey I was wondering if I am getting too old to carry my clubs. Just wondering what age most people gave up carrying their clubs or what the common wisdom is.

I gave up carrying my clubs in my 40's when I had back trouble.

Comment

Don't think it is related directly to age. I think it is more to do with physical condition and health. My bad knees forced me to start using a cart at around 48 and it made it much easier on my back and knees. Should have done it earlier. The cart allows me to organize things better (towels, GPS, etc) and even holds my umbrella if we get rain. Even if I could, I wouldn't go back to carrying the bag ever.
      Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Great question. As above not really an age thing. I often see many younger people taking carts while older people are walking. I am now 65 and like to carry, but mostly in the cooler weather of the spring and fall, as I like to take a lot of fluids along during the hotter summer weather.

Also, it compels one to be a bit more selective on things like the number of clubs carried and balls, head covers, as well as other stuff like an umbrella, ball retriever, sunscreen, fly repellant, etc.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I'm 38 and I just started using a clickgear this year regularly. I like carrying because of the freedom it provides but my back gets a bit stiff and I like the added "capacity" when using a pushcart.
          What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
          TM Rescue 17*
          TM M2 4-AW
          TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
          Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

I've always carried, but arthritis and gout have combined to make that a challenge.
            Last week I took a push cart, and I think I'm going to do this permanently, going forward.

I'd set that as something to do at age 65, but I'm doing it now at 62.

As others have said, it's more of a health thing than a fitness thing.

The "plan" is to go for a riding cart at 75, although my round last week included an 80 year old with a push cart. And a wedge with a hickory shaft that he hit beautifully!
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

I'm 37 and have been using a push cart for just over two years now. I tried carrying but my back won't let me do it for more than 9 holes. The repeated bend and twist to pick up and put down the bag was just way too much for me to handle.

My ClicGear serves me well. I can bring 4L+ of fluids, snacks, umbrella with holder and just have everything organized and available at my finger tips. After using it for so long I just can't see myself ever giving up the functionality in favour of carrying.

Maybe one day if I achieve my weigh loss goals and strengthen my core sufficiently I could see myself carrying on a more hilly course but even then, eh, I dunno.

Comment

As mentioned above, it so much depends on one's physical condition/health, the course layout, and how many clubs in the bag. I'm approaching mid 70's and have no prob carrying, but 5-6 clubs max.

Maybe i got well conditioned for walking, since as kids, in my old country, we had to walk 1.5 hours each way, over high mountains, sharing the gravel roads with donkeys and goats, to school and back
                Last edited by veryold; Jun 17, 2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Most modern science and sports medicine recommends using a push cart over carrying due to the ergonomics of it.

im only 31 but exclusively use a push cart. I had a bad accident about 4yrs ago that left my back a bit of a mess and it seizes easily. If i carry or ride im screwed usually. So clicgear for me it is .Love it.

Im even debating getting an ewheels .

Comment

I am 67 and this is the first year I have been using a push cart, I still carry occasionally but mostly walk with a cart. Especially this morning in the heat.

Comment

I like to walk and carry so I do that as often as I can. If I play 36 in a day, I find the second 18 a bit of a challenge so I will ride or use a push cart for the second round. I think walking and carrying improves pace of play as well.

Walk and carry until you can’t!

Comment

Many years ago, in my late thirties, I played a round with a buddy and his guest who was a chiropractor. We carried our bags back then (Ping Hoofer) but the chiro pulled his light bag with a cart. I asked him why he didn't carry, and he said it is one of the worst things you can do for your back and it will eventually catch up to you. Being relatively young and stupid, I brushed this off and continued to carry my bag for years.

About six years ago, I would get tired and felt a bit of pain in my lower back, late in the round. I finally gave into age and got a Clicgear, I have never looked back. Sometimes it's a bit of a pain when you have to walk around greens or push up hill, but in the long run, I think it is better for my back. I wish more course would let you push your cart through the greens.

Comment

Bought a Clicgear last year at 54. Should have bought one at 24.

Comment

I used to carry once in a while but mostly used a clicgear , then I started to buy electric carts a few years ago and last year I bought a Stewart , best thing I have done, I play 36 a lot and it real makes it a much easier walk without pushing as by lower back always started to get sore from pushing, I will be 65 in a few weeks and still in pretty decent shape and love to walk.
                            Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                            Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
                            Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
                            Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
                            Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
                            Pro V1x Left Dash
                            Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
                            Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

I am 61 and still carry 95% of my rounds. No back issues so I keep doing it. Basically nobody where I play carries, but almost all walk and most are in better shape than I am. We have free Rickshaws and when I use them I find it an easier walk for the most part, but up a hill I think carrying is easier.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X