Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson 50 Elite balls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prestacrusti View Post
    After the 50 elite balls, what's the next step up to game?
    I've never found the "tier two" balls (e.g. NXT, Noodle) to be any better than the cheaper ones. I picked up a bunch of the elite 50s off Amazon for $10 a box.

My next step is to a premium ball, but only when on sale. I've been able to get sufficient Z-Stars at 2-for-1 to keep me happy, and at that price they are about $2.50 each.

Pro-V's are almost never on sale, and they're approaching $6 per ball and I don't think they're any better than any of the other premium balls by Srixon, Calloway, TM, etc.

Just one hacker's opinion, YMMV.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I've never found the "tier two" balls (e.g. NXT, Noodle) to be any better than the cheaper ones. I picked up a bunch of the elite 50s off Amazon for $10 a box.

My next step is to a premium ball, but only when on sale. I've been able to get sufficient Z-Stars at 2-for-1 to keep me happy, and at that price they are about $2.50 each.

Pro-V's are almost never on sale, and they're approaching $6 per ball and I don't think they're any better than any of the other premium balls by Srixon, Calloway, TM, etc.

big fan of the Srixon

Comment

The Wilson Duo's are a nice mid range ball as well and do go on sale periodically. The Q-Star and Z-Stars that were on sale a few weeks back were a pretty solid deal as well.
        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I meant more so mid-tier. After the Wilson 50 Elite, what's recommended between those and the PROV1s for example.

Also, these $10 boxes you say.. does that deal happen often?

Comment

I meant more so mid-tier. After the Wilson 50 Elite, what's recommended between those and the PROV1s for example.

Also, these $10 boxes you say.. does that deal happen often?
            Someone pointed out the $10 boxes on Amazon a year or more ago. I got 3 boxes, so I'm just about out of them. Don't know if/when we'll see that again, but 24 for $29.99 at GT is close enough.

The reason I didn't recco anything in-between is if you can find premium balls on 2-for-1 sale (and I've found the Z-stars about once a year or so at GT), then the tier-2 balls aren't much cheaper, so you might as well just go straight to premium.

PROV's are almost never on sale, and on the rare time they are it's not much of a sale.

Another option over a tier-2 ball is to go with used balls. Premium balls in the top quality level there are as good as new.
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

Someone pointed out the $10 boxes on Amazon a year or more ago. I got 3 boxes, so I'm just about out of them. Don't know if/when we'll see that again, but 24 for $29.99 at GT is close enough.

The reason I didn't recco anything in-between is if you can find premium balls on 2-for-1 sale (and I've found the Z-stars about once a year or so at GT), then the tier-2 balls aren't much cheaper, so you might as well just go straight to premium.

PROV's are almost never on sale, and on the rare time they are it's not much of a sale.

Another option over a tier-2 ball is to go with used balls. Premium balls in the top quality level there are as good as new.
              Where does for example the Callaway Supersoft stand on that spectrum? At that point, stick with the Wilson 50 Elite?

Comment

They perform as well as any surlyn ball and the price is right. Most balls are ridiculously overpriced.

Comment

I bought 4 boxes when it was $10 a box on amazon. It's my secondary ball. I play tp5x but I limit myself to 2 tp5x a around then I use the Wilson. Initially I did not like them at first but it's growing on me. The difference for me is that the Wilson will one hop and stop. The tp5x usually spins back or stops pretty much where it landed on the greens. TP5x definitely longer for me in terms of drive... maybe 10-15 yards. (again just anecdotal and I have not truly measured it). Overall my scoring is the same......... played two rounds at upper unionville this week and shot 87 and 86 respectively with tp5x/wilson 50... triple bogies killed me!!

one thing to note ill never buy premium balls --- i usually get some from vendors/customers for free that will last me the season as I restrict myself 1-2 premium balls a round. I don't think my game warrants me to spend $50+ on a ball.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
                    I bought 4 boxes when it was $10 a box on amazon. It's my secondary ball. I play tp5x but I limit myself to 2 tp5x a around then I use the Wilson. Initially I did not like them at first but it's growing on me. The difference for me is that the Wilson will one hop and stop. The tp5x usually spins back or stops pretty much where it landed on the greens. TP5x definitely longer for me in terms of drive... maybe 10-15 yards. (again just anecdotal and I have not truly measured it). Overall my scoring is the same......... played two rounds at upper unionville this week and shot 87 and 86 respectively with tp5x/wilson 50... triple bogies killed me!!

one thing to note ill never buy premium balls --- i usually get some from vendors/customers for free that will last me the season as I restrict myself 1-2 premium balls a round. I don't think my game warrants me to spend $50+ on a ball.
                    Some good info here, thank you. Iíve always loved the value of the 50 Elite so this is helpful. Iím not using a ball a round or even a sleeve a round so this helps.

Comment

HX Bite when on sale

Comment

Advanced Search

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 161,703   Posts: 1,696,598   Members: 45,422   Active Members: 280
                      Welcome to our newest member, sharx1710.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                      X