Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Clubs Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Clubs Question

Hello all,

I'm a golfer that gets out a couple of times a year only right now and currently have a set of Taylormade 320 irons which are probably about 15 years old. They are not in bad shape at all since I don't play a lot.

I'm a tall individual at 6'3". I went last night and had a Golf Town fitting and they had told me I should have a +1 shaft and 2 degrees flat. I was looking at and loving the Taylormade M4 irons, but really noticed the difference the extra shaft length made. This irons are about $1000 for the set. I'm not sure at this point if I can justify that much on a set of clubs I don't use often even though I know they will last awhile. I also was told that the only way I can get custom clubs is with the current models and anything on clearance or sale would not be customized for that price.

So what I'm wondering from all of you that have more experience than I do would be should I buy new, current models so I can get completely customized? Buy a clearance set and then pay to have them customized, and if so, does anyone know what the cost to customize would approximately be? Or would it make sense to just extend my current clubs and again, this would be based on cost if anyone could provide an approximation?

Thanks

Originally posted by jwilhelm View Post
    Hello all,

I'm a golfer that gets out a couple of times a year only right now and currently have a set of Taylormade 320 irons which are probably about 15 years old. They are not in bad shape at all since I don't play a lot.

I'm a tall individual at 6'3". I went last night and had a Golf Town fitting and they had told me I should have a +1 shaft and 2 degrees flat. I was looking at and loving the Taylormade M4 irons, but really noticed the difference the extra shaft length made. This irons are about $1000 for the set. I'm not sure at this point if I can justify that much on a set of clubs I don't use often even though I know they will last awhile. I also was told that the only way I can get custom clubs is with the current models and anything on clearance or sale would not be customized for that price.

So what I'm wondering from all of you that have more experience than I do would be should I buy new, current models so I can get completely customized? Buy a clearance set and then pay to have them customized, and if so, does anyone know what the cost to customize would approximately be? Or would it make sense to just extend my current clubs and again, this would be based on cost if anyone could provide an approximation?

Thanks
    Well, the answer will depend on two things...
    1. Are you intending on playing more than twice a year?
    2. And are you independently wealthy?
    Greg

Comment

I would buy used ,get shaft extensions, new grips .then worry about how flat they are later.

Comment

^^^^^ what he said
        Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
        Ping i25 3w Accra Tour Z LS M4
        Ping i25 5w PWR75s
        Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
        Ping ISI W2, W3
        Cal i-Trax

Comment

Thanks guys. Does anyone know what the approximate cost I should be seeing for extensions and new grips would be? Sorry for the questions, just new to all of this.

Comment

I would recommend talking to Dan (danscustomgolf - TGN sponso, and I recommend looking at some of the non-big name brands he uses (Maltby, Wishon, etc.) Being tall, you will greatly benefit from getting clubs the proper specs to you. With the component you could likely get a similar price (sometimes cheaper) including the fitting.

I got fitted through Dan over the winter and cannot believe I didn't do it sooner.
            In the Bag:

Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5*
            3W Callaway X Hot 15*
            5W Callaway X Hot 19*
            3-PW Nickent 4DX Pro Forged
            53*/58* Nickent Arc Wedge
            Odyssey White Hot Pro #9

Comment

I was hoping someone else would question the 2* flat. I am 6'-2" and my irons are 1/2" longer and 2* upright. I would check your fittings again.

You should be able to pick up a slightly used set of clubs for half the cost or 3/4's at the most. There are a lot of club ho's out there, who buy new every year and trade in their old sets. Or watch out for Golftown's demo sale in November. It used to be really good, but I have heard that it hasn't been that good the last couple of years. Keep your eyes and ears open for this.

Golftown also has their re-grip sale in February and you can get new grips at half the cost. Good time to get your irons extended too. Shouldn't cost a lot for that.
              Ping Rapture 7.5* Driver, Aldila VS 65-S
              Ping Rapture 14* 3 Wood, Aldila VS 85-S
              Ping Rapture 17* 5 Wood, Aldila VS 85-S
              Ping Rapture 21* & 24* Hybrids, Aldila VS 80-S
              Ping S56 Irons, 5 to PW, KBS-S
              Ping Tour S, 52/12*, 58/12*, KBS-S
              Ping 36" Nome 355 Putter, Super Stroke 2.0
              Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
              Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder

Comment

There are ways to keep the price decent. You are a great candidate for a TLT fitting. This is why I designed my fitting system - now used in 18 Countries by some of the top clubfitter's on the planet.

Extensions may or may not work as the fitting is first required to determine what lengths are required for you.

Going +1" then making them 2* flat is counter intuitive. These 2 are working against each other so please do not follow this recommendation. A 1" extension on a wedge may not be enough and I expect upright is the right direction - not flat. This was bad advise.

I encourage you to visit my website for a better explanation and please do consider booking an appointment to see if I can help.
                Regards
                Dan

Dan's Custom Golf Shop - Sponsor
                True Length Technology TM
                Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                True Frequency Technology TM
                - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                - Master
                Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                - Advanced / Professional
                Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                - Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
                Hampton, ON
                Appointment only
                Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
                E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com

Comment

Hello all,

Thanks
                  Two degrees flat has me thinking 1/2" or 3/4" longer than standard, likely. Pay $100 to get fitted, or even Ping online fit will help http://nflightweb.ping.com, and then buy a used set in this forum or on ebay with the length that you need. I've bought and sold sets an inch over standard on this forum.

Extensions/grips will run you at least $15/club and totally not worth it.

Dans le BAG...
                  PING G30 LS 9*, PING G25 14.5*, PING G30 19*
                  PING I25 4-LW
                  Titleist Vokey SM6 62*
                  Scotty Cameron Classics Laguna

Comment

Hello all,

Thanks
                    Extensions are going to run you roughly $10-15 per club depending on where you get them done. Grips are going to be at least $13 (with installation) per club. Bending clubs is $5 per club. You're looking at $250 (roughly) in extra cost on top of what you buy used. Buying used is also a bit of a crap shoot, if you are waiting for something specific. It might never come. What shaft were you fit for in the M4s? If it is stock, then you are more likely going to find a set of M2s that are going to be similar, but not identical. TM just recently moved to the KBS MAX, which is a new shaft this year, so if you look at the M2s, they are not going to have this shaft. An additional level that nobody has talked about is that when you put in extensions, especially at an inch long, you are counterbalancing the club now considerably. Counterbalancing means it pulls more weight away from the head, which in turn makes the club harder to turn over (more prone to a fade/slice), and also makes the head feel very light. Counterbalancing was designed for heavier club heads, something TM irons are not known for, in order to help make it feel lighter.

The last bit is that despite what people are saying, no, you cannot buy M4 irons for $500 everywhere you look used. The used club market is only going up in price because of the cost of new clubs, and on top of that, new clubs do not depreciate quite that fast. Sure, you might be able to find a set of 2017 M2s for less than $500, but see above for why that might be a bad idea.

Personally, if I were you, I'd bite the bullet. You're currently playing with irons that are roughly 18 years old. Break the cost down per year and you are spending less than $100 per year for your new set. That's about a round of golf...not too shabby in my opinion if you are going to enjoy the game more and feel motivated to get out and play. I know a lot of guys that are going to slam me because I am in the business of selling new, but I have seen a lot of "retro-fits" as they are called go poorly, where the customer doesn't end up hitting their piecemeal set any better than what they were replacing due to trying to save, in the grand scheme of things, like $200. Sometimes it's just not worth it.

Oh yeah, and add on to that that used clubs have zero warranty and with the face slot issue on the M2-M4 lines, I wouldn't want to take that risk that if one fails, I now have to buy a new iron that doesn't match the set. Just food for thought.
                    Rogue Sub Zero 9* - Diamana BF Series 60 Stiff
                    Rogue Sub Zero 13.5* - Fubuki V-Series 70 Stiff
                    Rogue Sub Zero 18* - Diamana Thump 85 Stiff
                    G700 4i - Diamana Thump 90h Stiff
                    G700 5i-PW - Accra CWT 105 Master's Green
                    Ping Glide Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Modus 105 Master's Green Wedge
                    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 - Stability

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 162,786   Posts: 1,705,123   Members: 45,535   Active Members: 254
                    Welcome to our newest member, Wrighter99.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                    X