/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

LOW-SPIN SHAFTS (ACCRA ARTICLE BY SCOREGOLF'S RICK YOUNG)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOW-SPIN SHAFTS (ACCRA ARTICLE BY SCOREGOLF'S RICK YOUNG)

An underrated product drawing rave reviews by tour players, fitters and most in the industry.

The linked article is interesting, didn't really know much about the org until I read this - Apparently the new TZ6 is a 'spin killer'...

Always weary of these claims, but always looking to reduce spin. Recently began gaming a TM M3 440 and it's extremely forgiving and very straight, went with the Tensei CK60 'White' option (S) as the claim was low launch/spin, but my sim numbers so far are not 'great'.

Still pumping it upwards of 260-280 regularly, but feel I could get more...

Any thoughts on the 'lowest' spinning drivers shafts, and thoughts on the Accra products??

Thanks,

- Ian
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

What are the spin and launch numbers that do not please you? Up until recently shafts do not have a major reduction affect on spin. Callaway's 2017 robotic testing on perfect strikes yielded a 250-300 rpm reduction. I would love to see the results from further testing utilizing Accra's latest offerings.

The Accra shafts are incredible. Both Phatchris and I consider them to be the best on the market. Greatness is never cheap to acquire.
    Last edited by rgk5; Feb 11, 2019, 02:44 PM.
    In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
    Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
    TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
    PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
    TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
    TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
      http://scoregolf.com/blog/rick-young...z5-tz6-shafts/

The linked article is interesting, didn't really know much about the org until I read this - Apparently the new TZ6 is a 'spin killer'...

Always weary of these claims, but always looking to reduce spin. Recently began gaming a TM M3 440 and it's extremely forgiving and very straight, went with the Tensei CK60 'White' option (S) as the claim was low launch/spin, but my sim numbers so far are not 'great'.

Still pumping it upwards of 260-280 regularly, but feel I could get more...

Any thoughts on the 'lowest' spinning drivers shafts, and thoughts on the Accra products??

Thanks,

- Ian
      that linked article is just on long repetitious hype infomercial, with absolutely no tech content, regarding the two new shafts.
      Look at trajectory first, and don't go below 2200rpm.
      The low spin shiat has been overdone.

I switched out the Accra TZ m4 shaft from my i25 3wood because trajectory was too low off the deck. I put the Accra into my slightly lower lofted Anser 3wood where it will be my par 4 driver.

Last edited by bl8d; Feb 11, 2019, 03:17 PM.
      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

that linked article is just on long repetitious hype infomercial, with absolutely no tech content, regarding the two new shafts.

I switched out the Accra shaft from my i25 3wood because trajectory was too low off the deck. I put the Accra into my slightly lower lofted Anser 3wood where it will be my par 4 driver.
        i25 three woods were notoriously low launching and some what fade biased, like the i25 driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

Look at trajectory first, and don't go below 2200rpm.
          The low spin shiat has been overdone.

this....^^^^^
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
            What are the spin and launch numbers that do not please you? Up until recently shafts do not have a major reduction affect on spin. Callaway's 2017 robotic testing on perfect strikes yielded a 250-300 rpm reduction. I would love to see the results from further testing utilizing Accra's latest offerings.

The Accra shafts are incredible. Both Phatchris and I consider them to be the best on the market. Greatness is never cheap to acquire.
            Club head speed avg: 95 MPH / Backspin (lately): 3300-3500 approx. avg / Launch Angle: 19 degrees-ish

Was gaming a Fujikura Evo Speeder 661 but decided to try something different, and spin numbers with the 2017 M1 440 were closer to the 2500's, but it was not nearly as accurate as my current gamer (My avg. distance is about 250 now, which I'm generally okay with at this advanced stage of life ),,,

Comments? Always looking for constructive feedback.

- Ian
            TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
            TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
            TM TP5 Golf Ball
            Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
            SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Club head speed avg: 95 MPH / Backspin (lately): 3300-3500 approx. avg / Launch Angle: 19 degrees-ish

Was gaming a Fujikura Evo Speeder 661 but decided to try something different, and spin numbers with the 2017 M1 440 were closer to the 2500's, but it was not nearly as accurate as my current gamer (My avg. distance is about 250 now, which I'm generally okay with at this advanced stage of life ),,,

- Ian
              I hate to be that guy, but if those are your numbers there is no way you are getting in out as far as you think. But if you could knock 250-500 RPM off your shots you've be in good shape.

Personally, in most driver combos I've tried/been fit into, I'm either 1900-2100 or 3000+ in spin. I rarely find a combo that hits that 2300 sweet spot.

Comment

The sweet spot as far as I know is around 2000-2500rpm with driver. I know I am also much higher so would love to know which shafts could lower the spin...but I also know that the shaft needs to be paired with the right head and settings in order to be optimized
                WITB

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD
                Callaway Epic 3 & 5
                Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW
                Titleist SM6 50, 54, 58
                Xenon Handmade Stealth CS
                Xenon Handmade Torched CS
                Lajosi TF3 Torched CS
                Anton Handmade BOS Weld CS
                Black Lab Notchback Oil Can Prototype CS
                Slighter Prototype Notchback CS
                Mannkrafted WB Rattler XL Notchback Prototype CS

Comment

Originally posted by TheSaxemachine View Post

I hate to be that guy, but if those are your numbers there is no way you are getting in out as far as you think. But if you could knock 250-500 RPM off your shots you've be in good shape.

Personally, in most driver combos I've tried/been fit into, I'm either 1900-2100 or 3000+ in spin. I rarely find a combo that hits that 2300 sweet spot.
                  everybody hits it 280 here but only a selected group actually tee it up from the tips; its a tough pill to swallow you don't hit it as far as you think you do.

if your swinging it at 95 with your driver your average is probably closer to 230-250 with a few drives that creep into the 260s on perfect shots. I would probably stay away from the 440 head as the 460 head would provide some more distance on off center shots. 440 heads are great for the player that hits it long even on miss hits, at a 95 swing speeds you don't have many yards to give up

Comment

- Ian
                    2500 rpm for your SS is not out of line. 19* of launch is too high as you must be hitting with a hugely positive AOA or the converse. I would agree with Saxemachine that 280 seems to be optimistic given your stated SS but I obviously do not know how that was measured. Overall, I believe that your numbers are darn good, quite efficient, the launch angle excepted.

Comment

19* launch with over 3k spin is indicative of a major swing flaw.

no shaft will help that.

Shafts are good for maybe 200 to 300 rpm.

Thats an ill fit combo making a massive swing flaw.

Comment

- Ian
                        Hi Ian,

I have the new TZ5 in my driver, albeit with a different paint scheme. So this is kind of a unique line-up, being low launch and spin with higher torque, nobody has really done that yet. I haven't hit it yet to comment, but this is supposed to be the continuation of the 400 series Tour Z Extreme lines that were notorious "spin killers" but super stable. For a quick fix with the driver I suggest lofting it all the way down, and move the spin slider all the way forward. If you are still getting some high spin numbers it's likely a swing issue BUT it could be a shaft issue. If yours is an original Fujikura 661 TS (EVO I -- blue paint scheme) they were the highest launching of the entire Speeder series followed closely by the EVO 3 and the new EVO 5. It could be that the shaft is deflecting too much during your swing, drawing the strike point further down the head causing a low strike OR adding too much dynamic loft due to shaft deflection, leading to your high launch and spin.

Comment

Originally posted by Geeve1008 View Post

everybody hits it 280 here but only a selected group actually tee it up from the tips; its a tough pill to swallow you don't hit it as far as you think you do.

if your swinging it at 95 with your driver your average is probably closer to 230-250 with a few drives that creep into the 260s on perfect shots. I would probably stay away from the 440 head as the 460 head would provide some more distance on off center shots. 440 heads are great for the player that hits it long even on miss hits, at a 95 swing speeds you don't have many yards to give up
                          LOL - I'm the FIRST person to agree with that statement, however I track all shots off the tee using the 'track shot' feature on my Skycaddie (when playing 'live', and rarely do I hit a drive in 'normal', mild conditions under 250 yards)...

The sims I play in are the 'Full Swing S8' versions, descriptions linked below:

Sims are sims, and although these are considered top notch, I trust the yardage results in the real world distance measurements regardless of the stats fed to me by the indoor sims. (unfortunately, I don't use Trackman so I can't replicate/report on live statistics when on the range, etc.)

I purposely moved to the smaller head size to reduce backspin, and the M3 is significantly more forgiving than the 2017 M1 440 version...

Would love to get a session on Trackman on the range and am looking to make this happen this spring/summer.

- Ian

TM TP5 Golf Ball
                          Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                          SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

Hi Ian,

I have the new TZ5 in my driver, albeit with a different paint scheme. So this is kind of a unique line-up, being low launch and spin with higher torque, nobody has really done that yet. I haven't hit it yet to comment, but this is supposed to be the continuation of the 400 series Tour Z Extreme lines that were notorious "spin killers" but super stable. For a quick fix with the driver I suggest lofting it all the way down, and move the spin slider all the way forward. If you are still getting some high spin numbers it's likely a swing issue BUT it could be a shaft issue. If yours is an original Fujikura 661 TS (EVO I -- blue paint scheme) they were the highest launching of the entire Speeder series followed closely by the EVO 3 and the new EVO 5. It could be that the shaft is deflecting too much during your swing, drawing the strike point further down the head causing a low strike OR adding too much dynamic loft due to shaft deflection, leading to your high launch and spin.
                            M3, adjusted to 7.5 degrees, both weights far forward is my current set-up. The 661 TS I 'had' was the DJ version that I believe he still uses...
                            TM TP5 Golf Ball
                            Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                            SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                              19* launch with over 3k spin is indicative of a major swing flaw.

no shaft will help that.

Shafts are good for maybe 200 to 300 rpm.

Thats an ill fit combo making a massive swing flaw.
                              Not sure how 'major' my flaw is, but no question I have a very steep angle of attack...
                              TM TP5 Golf Ball
                              Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                              SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X