/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Soft stepping a shaft?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

TourIQ I suspect the shafts you use are pretty poor quality for only 13% of them to be on spec. My builder built two sets for the same guy using Mitsubishi OTi 95s and out of the 22 shafts he used (8 irons + 3 wedges X 2 sets), one of the shafts was out by 1 CPM from what it was supposed to, and it cycled 1 CPM stiffer than what he wanted it to. Big deal. It doesn't surprise me that you see such poor indicators of flex if you are using value level True Temper (TT Lite for example), entry level FST, and value level Grafalloy, Aldila, and UST product. Not everything is perfect though, Steelfiber and KBS are known to be pretty iffy in their quality as well. Not everyone is immune, but the chances of getting a poorer product increases exponentially the more value the product is, I don't care how good of a club maker someone is. You're going to get and make a bad set of clubs if you use bad components.
    I didn't say the shafts I start with varied by +/- 1 flex before they are trimmed, but you already knew that. I only install parallel and not taper tipped, so all hosels are reamed, and I sort from a box lot of 150 shafts to begin the process. I can also measure a shaft to 0.1 cpm resolution with pneumatic clamping.

The example I illustrated was more prone to stock taper tipped shafts, as confirmed by other builders on this forum a few years ago, since they do not have the benefit of weight sorting prior to assembly. Since shaft wt. correlates positively with shaft cpm., then slight deviations in wall thickness will yield a change to raw frequency. Some factory weight sorted steel shafts do not hit the factory own specification goal posts (+/- tolerance) on weight. I have the blueprints on the main shaft I've used from the manufacturer, and I've conducted statistical capability analysis on multiple boxes of shafts, so I know their true quality level when pulled at random out of a box. The cost of a shaft doesn't guarantee it to be of higher consistency than one a few dollars cheaper.

As a club builder, you can take the variation out of any build if you 'know how' and take the extra time, as I weigh sort, spine align, then frequency sort, so not prone to the inherent manufacturing variability.

Chris maybe you should benchmark one of my assembled sets (hybrid to last wedge) on quality against your own premium build, then you can stop the rhetoric of suggesting everything you use is of premium 'high cost' quality vs. everything I use is of inferior 'value level' quality. I'll put my build up against anything ever assembled.
    Last edited by TourIQ; Mar 20, 2019, 11:48 PM.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
      I didn't say the shafts I start with varied by +/- 1 flex before they are trimmed, but you already knew that. I only install parallel and not taper tipped, so all hosels are reamed, and I sort from a box lot of 150 shafts to begin the process. I can also measure a shaft to 0.1 cpm resolution with pneumatic clamping.

The example I illustrated was more prone to stock taper tipped shafts, as confirmed by other builders on this forum a few years ago, since they do not have the benefit of weight sorting prior to assembly. Since shaft wt. correlates positively with shaft cpm., then slight deviations in wall thickness will yield a change to raw frequency. Some factory weight sorted steel shafts do not hit the factory own specification goal posts (+/- tolerance) on weight. I have the blueprints on the main shaft I've used from the manufacturer, and I've conducted statistical capability analysis on multiple boxes of shafts, so I know their true quality level when pulled at random out of a box. The cost of a shaft doesn't guarantee it to be of higher consistency than one a few dollars cheaper.

As a club builder, you can take the variation out of any build if you 'know how' and take the extra time, as I weigh sort, spine align, then frequency sort, so not prone to the inherent manufacturing variability.

Chris maybe you should benchmark one of my assembled sets (hybrid to last wedge) on quality against your own premium build, then you can stop the rhetoric of suggesting everything you use is of premium 'high cost' quality vs. everything I use is of inferior 'value level' quality. I'll put my build up against anything ever assembled.
      Didn't specifically call you out. All I said was that if you use bad components, you're going to get a bad build. Sure any builder who is worth their salt can make anything what they need to. But why complicate the process? In addition to what I said about the OTi's, we had a guy drop off some value-level graphite shafts to get installed in his own heads. It took my builder close to 3 hours to get the frequencies on a slope because half of the shafts actually got SOFTER when tipped despite them being a tip stiff profile. He built the OTi sets right after that in a fraction of the time...i.e. close to 1 hour for frequency matching and head weighting for 2 sets vs. close to 3 hours for 1 set. In the close to 2.5 years we have been opened, we've had 1 iffy set of OTi's come through the door. That is why we use better components, not because it costs more, but because we can guarantee their quality and it makes it easier to get the best results possible in much less time.
      Fitter at Tour Experience Golf (T | X | G). Take your game to the next level at the world's ultimate golf club fitting studio.

See what we do/schedule a fitting here: https://txg.ca/

Get exclusive, members only content and prizes here:
      https://www.patreon.com/tourexperiencegolf

Watch the newest YouTube videos here:
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDd...TZ9HuEnkGdPkCQ

T | X | G Merchandise and Galvin Green apparel:
      https://txg.ca/store/

Comment

Can you double soft step a set of irons?

If I understand correctly that would be a 4 iron shaft in a 6 iron head.

How softer would 2x soft stepping a stiff shaft make it play?

Talking about a 4 - GW set where the longest iron I carry would probably be a 5.
        WITB

D: PING G410 Plus 9*
        F: PING G25 16.5*
        H: PING G400 19* & 22*
        I: PING G400 5 - PW
        W: Cleveland CBX2 50*- 54*- 58*
        P: PING Anser 1966 TR

Comment

Yes you can double soft step.. hard to say about the flex but I would guess in the neighborhood of 2/3's to a full flex. Clubs would play an inch longer without a butt trim.

I soft step my irons to get the extra half inch in length and I don't mind if they play a little softer.
          TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
          TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
          TM Speedblade 3 iron Accra proto
          TM M2 tour 4-pw Accra ICWT 95
          Callaway X-Forged 52, 56, 60 Pro Modus3 105
          Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
          100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse