/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Need help finding left handed arm lock putter

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think one big reason is there is no where to really test them. Most people just buy off the rack not even worrying about a fitting. The longest I've seen in shops are 38" and meant to be a counterbalance putter not an arm lock.

As for fitters I'm curious on how many would know how to fit an armlock properly and build one. Also they would probably need a fitters cart like the Edel or Sik Golf one to build one on site for the golfer.

Although I haven't used an armlock I am for the use of them and if I can find a way of helping golfers try them I would.
    In The Bag

Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S - 9 Draw
    Cobra King F7 - Tensei Blue 65 - S Flex - 15.5D
    Ping G410 - Alta CB 70R - 19
    Srixon Z585/785 - AMT Tour White S300
    MD3 51 - Glide Stealth 2.0 56 - Glide 60
    Edel E3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon SanDiego - & more
    TP5-X
    Ping Pioneer

Comment

Update:

Thanks to jburns and MattM97 I am onto an SGC putter. Stuart Cox of SGC has left handed blades, which are of suitable weight, that can be tuned into an arm lock configuration. Through him, a Jumbo Max JMX JumboFlat 17" putter grip is on order.

I am seeing Dan Connolly, TLT Dan, next week to sort out preliminary specs for the build. I have a homemade prototype that I have been experimenting with. We can use that to help inform that part. Final assembly for length and grip installation and any tweaking will likely be done by Dan.

In the meantime, I have shortened my prototype from 42" to 40", and I have refashioned it's grip to the length and specs of the Jumbo Max that is on order. Even 40" might be a bit long, I am not quite 6 feet in height. Yesterday, at putting practice, I was nailing stuff from all over the green with my prototype. I can't wait for the real thing.

As well, during the broadcast of the US open yesterday, there was a very brief mention that Matt Kuchar had made a change to the loft of his arm lock putter from 7* to 6*. With the offset of the forward press of the arm lock position, he is now working with an effective clubhead loft, at impact, of 2*.

I have found that ball position in the putting stance with an armlock putter is really critical. I don't have any scientific or empirical evidence to back this up. However, because it is not possible to "break" one's wrists at setup, moving the ball forward from centre in the stance tends to be achieved only by tilting the shoulders, and because of this, the overall effective clubhead loft at impact, due to changing ball position, seems to be exaggerated, compared to a regular length putter.

I think it is going to be important, for setting up this putter, to have a specific ball location in the set up position to work from. In my case it would be something like one ball length ahead of centre.

Looking forward to seeing this all come together.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Great people to work with all around. Can't wait to see the finished product. I am loving my SGC putter... Stuart did amazing work on it.
        Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
        Driver: Ping G400 SFT @ 10*
        Wood: Cobra King F8 @ 17*
        Hybrids: Cobra King F8 22*
        Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
        Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
        Putter: SGC WB Northwood
        Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

So....it's done, put together and prepped for tomorrow's game.

The process started last season when I had made my own very crude prototype arm lock putter. After experimenting with that for some time and fiddling with the length, I went to Dan Cooper of True Length Technology in the spring to properly fit the prototype.

Through this thread I found out about Stuart Cox from Truro NS and the putter heads he was manufacturing. He was agreeable to putting together a left handed head in a configuration suitable for an arm lock putter.

I continued to use the fitted prototype into this season to settle in on the specs. My playing partners were asking why I was pursuing a new putter, when my prototype was working so well for me. Wanting something more professional I sent the specs worked out by Dan to Stuart, who set up one of his putter heads for me and to add personal touches on engraving and trademark logos. It's a work of art.

In the final finishing, Stuart gave only a light grinding of edges to keep the weight up, so what might normally be about a 380 gram head ended up at 395 grams, perfect to offset the weight of a longer oversize grip.

Dan did the final assembly here this week. The head was mated with an Apollo Stepless Black PVD shaft and a 17 inch Jumbomax, JumboFlat putter grip.

With Dan's help, we settled on an overall putter length of 40 1/4 inches. Total loft was 9* and final face loft, at set up, in the forward press position was 4*. Final lie was between 71 and 72*.

Working with Stuart and Dan on this was an amazing process from start to finish. It's not often one gets to have such first hand involvement in the development of a club while working with such professionals.

I have tried it out in the basement today and it feels almost like an extension of my body, and I am getting solid direction and tremendous roll, but the real test is tomorrow, when I game it for the first time.

Here are some pics of it, with one alongside my prototype.

Will report back on results after I break it in some.

(Above....the brown colour where the neck meets the head is a light reflection - there is no decolouration at all in the weld.)

(Above.....My putter has a name....)

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I can't see the pictures... I'm super excited to see how it turned out.

I'm in love with my SGC putter... I want to make another just because it was a fun process but #! is perfect for me in every way. I'm happy to hear you have the same experience with Stu and Dan
            Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
            Driver: Ping G400 SFT @ 10*
            Wood: Cobra King F8 @ 17*
            Hybrids: Cobra King F8 22*
            Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
            Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
            Putter: SGC WB Northwood
            Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Coming back to this thread I think that I'm going to be building myself an armlock putter soon for the off season. My putting has been been awful this year for the most part like mid to upper 30 putts rounds if not a rare 40 putt round. I'm working on a new grip and will see how that works but arm lock is the next option if the grip change doesn't get going.

I'm going look and see what heads I can use and what come in LH options which isn't much. Finding an Odyssey tank would be the easiest and cheapest I just don't like the look and feel of Odyssey putters, but it's not really about what I do and don't like it's getting a feel for an armlock to see if it's for me before I go and drop a lot of money on one.
              In The Bag

Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S - 9 Draw
              Cobra King F7 - Tensei Blue 65 - S Flex - 15.5D
              Ping G410 - Alta CB 70R - 19
              Srixon Z585/785 - AMT Tour White S300
              MD3 51 - Glide Stealth 2.0 56 - Glide 60
              Edel E3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon SanDiego - & more
              TP5-X
              Ping Pioneer

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
                I can't see the pictures... I'm super excited to see how it turned out.

I'm in love with my SGC putter... I want to make another just because it was a fun process but #! is perfect for me in every way. I'm happy to hear you have the same experience with Stu and Dan
                Sent a PM. Maybe that will work.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 175,905   Posts: 1,844,987   Members: 47,504   Active Members: 266
                Welcome to our newest member, clancy2119.
                Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                X