/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Draw Biased Drivers - Do They Work?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draw Biased Drivers - Do They Work?

Wondering if anyone has any experience going from a "standard" driver to more of a draw biased one - Ping SFT, M2/4 D-Type, Rogue Draw. If so, did you notice a big difference in shot shape and in effect, distance and fairways hit? Would love to hear insights from those who fit as well.

My three drivers with adjustable hosel (Ping i25, Anser and CobraFlyZ+) are purposely set at neutral, leaving it up to my grip position to do the shot shaping.
    Funny how it is human nature to neutralize choices.
    however,my older 983K and the 983E were known to be shot-shape biased straight from the factory. The K has a draw bias whereas the E, has a slight fade bias when held with a neutral grip. These two drivers have the identical GD YS-6+S shaft.

I don' like the factory set bias simply because it forces you to subconsciously try to countermand the built in shot shape on some holes.
    things change

Comment

Sounds like something TXG can test for their youtube series lol

Comment

Draw bias and Fade bias both work simply bc they alter the orientation of the clubface. A draw bias puts the clubhead in a more upright position...meaning it will be square for a more upright swing. If you ever see a demonstration on what a flatter or more upright setup do to where the clubface is actually pointing despite looking on line, you will instantly see that a draw bias actually points the clubface to the left when looking square...which is one way to hit a draw (clubface left, swing to target).

Comment

there in a nutshell is what distinguishes a players club from the game improvement club intended to compensate the higher cap player whose typical mis-hit is more towards the toe.
          The downside of the upright lie is that the COG has steadily crept towards the raised toe. This means that the ball will miss the benefit of having the most mass behind it when it is contacted.
          It's a simple case of ,"a little more of this means a little less of that"

Ideally, the lie and length must be adjusted to suit the player's educated swing, meaning he should take lessons rather than expect the club to make up for his faults.
          things change

Comment

I use an M2 D type.. it works. Right side was my typical miss - greatly reduced now. I have set it to the lowest loft to counter how much it wants to turn it left.
            TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
            TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
            TM Speedblade 3 iron Accra proto
            TM M2 tour 4-pw Accra ICWT 95
            Callaway X-Forged 52, 56, 60 Pro Modus3 105
            Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
            100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Same with the Ping SF Tec... you can still slice it but it does help.
              Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
              Driver: Ping G400 SFT @ 10*
              Wood: Cobra King F8 @ 17*
              Hybrids: Cobra King F8 22*
              Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
              Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
              Putter: SGC WB Northwood
              Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

I went from a G25 driver to a G30 SFT, same loft. I didnít find much of a difference, and actually preferred and felt more confident with the G25. Most of these draw biased drivers now use CG location to manipulate ball flight, and as mentioned above, moving the CG to reduce also results in slightly less forgiveness.

MGS showed this when they did their CG testing on drivers a few years ago. You can click on the links in the article to see the data from the past few years.
                You care about your driver's center of gravity location. You may not realize it yet, but you do. CG location has a significant influence on how your driver

Comment

It does for some and it doesn't for others. In my fittings I've seen guys hit rope hooks with a draw biased driver and some hit the same fade all day long. There are some delivery dynamics that unfortunately cannot really do anything but hit a fade. If you come outside-in (over the top), with an open club face, and hit the heel, it won't matter if I give you an offset driver with 150g of heel weight, you're probably still going to slice it. Shaft weight can also help. A heavier shaft can help drop a player to the inside a bit easier to force less throwing of the club.

By and large though, the two *best* draw biased drivers I have seen recently are the Ping SFT models and the Taylormade M6. The Cobra Max driver is also excellent but it is a bit spinney, however, if you can stomach losing a couple of yards potentially it works very well.
                  Fitter at Tour Experience Golf (T | X | G). Take your game to the next level at the world's ultimate golf club fitting studio.

See what we do/schedule a fitting here: https://txg.ca/

Get exclusive, members only content and prizes here:
                  https://www.patreon.com/tourexperiencegolf

Watch the newest YouTube videos here:
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDd...TZ9HuEnkGdPkCQ

T | X | G Merchandise and Galvin Green apparel:
                  https://txg.ca/store/

Comment

Even a standard driver can have some daw bias added to it.

1) When you use the shaft adapter to increase loft you also close the club face at the same time.

2) Many of the newer models allow the center of gravity to be moved to the heel which acts to facilitate a draw (or a reduction in slice) action.

3. Even a driver that doesn't have a movable weight can be made into a more draw biased driver if it has a weight you can remove. Remove the weight and then add the equivalent weight in lead tape attached to the heel side of the head.

Comment

The most gain a player can get - looking to correct a slice is face angle. A closed face head will do more than any draw bias by adjusting a sliding weight or adding weight to the heel.

Most adjustable drivers can change face angle but to a small degree, which if often not enough.

Drivers that are too long also can contribute as they are harder to swing to the inside.
                      Regards
                      Dan

Dan's Custom Golf Shop - Sponsor
                      True Length Technology TM
                      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                      True Frequency Technology TM
                      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                      - Master
                      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                      - Advanced / Professional
                      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                      - Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
                      Hampton, ON
                      Appointment only
                      Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
                      E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by TLT Dan View Post
                        The most gain a player can get - looking to correct a slice is face angle. A closed face head will do more than any draw bias by adjusting a sliding weight or adding weight to the heel.

Most adjustable drivers can change face angle but to a small degree, which if often not enough.

Drivers that are too long also can contribute as they are harder to swing to the inside.
                        Agreed....weighting changes do little , closed face or an offset driver will be much better.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 178,606   Posts: 1,875,010   Members: 48,112   Active Members: 450
                        Welcome to our newest member, Ed29.
                        Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                        X