/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

How Confident Are You That Your Wedge Specs Are Right?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Confident Are You That Your Wedge Specs Are Right?

When I was fitted for my Ping G400 irons, I decided to order the A wedge also - what should be a 50 degree wedge. I played with it last year and enjoyed the fact that it was an extension of my other irons - same head shape, offset and shaft, etc. But I never liked pitching around the greens with it - offset head and thicker topline. So, I bought a new Cleveland RTX-3 gap wedge this year - 50 degree. For my first 6 rounds, while I loved the shape when pitching around greens, I found I had lost almost a full club in distance, when compared to my G400 A wedge. So, I asked my Head Pro at my course to bend it to 48 degrees - try to recover the lost yardage without buying another stick. He gave it back to me before my round Saturday morning and explained that it was actually set at 52 degrees - he bent it to what it should have been - 50 degrees. And yeah, I now hit it as far as my G400 wedge.
    So, I had my Vokey SM7 54 degree checked - 55 degrees / and my Mack Daddy 3, 58 degree - actually almost 60 degrees. They are now bent to what the specs call for.
    I know that clubs manufacturing is now a commoditized business - but I never realized that my wedges were off so much. I know my G400's are OK - I was fitted at Ping and TXG built the set. But off the shelf - buyer beware.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    A birdie is usually followed by

Is there a way to check the calibration of the club bending machine at your course? it may just be a coincidence but, it seems odd that your wedges are all at a higher loft than the stated loft on the club, and all nearly the same amount... just a thought

Comment

Depending on how often you play and the forging, it's a smart move to check your lofts once a year. Some do it more often, especially for wedges.
      Dans le BAG...
      PING G30 LS 9*, PING G25 14.5*, PING G30 19*
      PING I25 4-LW
      Titleist Vokey SM6 62*
      Scotty Cameron Classics Laguna

Comment

Originally posted by trav158 View Post
        Is there a way to check the calibration of the club bending machine at your course? it may just be a coincidence but, it seems odd that your wedges are all at a higher loft than the stated loft on the club, and all nearly the same amount... just a thought
        Calibration is fine - verified regularly. We are a Taylormade fitter and require proper specs for fitting.
        No good deed goes unpunished.
        A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Wedges tend to take more of a beating imho ! Not surpised they were off just had 2 of mine checked at GT 52* was 50* 56* was 55*, as stated earlier should check Forged at least once a year.My 2 cents

Comment

Certainly not unusual to find these sort of numbers. I basically check and correct every iron that enters my shop and to find 2*out is not that out of the ordinary. Should it be this way - not a chance.

I quite often hear - I hit these 2 clubs near the same distance. Out of spec loft is almost always the answer.

My retrofits as well as all my builds go through a very thorough inspection prior to leaving my shop. If your set came out of a box, chances are they have quite a few errors throughout the set.
            Regards
            Dan

Dan's Custom Golf Shop - Sponsor
            True Length Technology TM
            Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
            True Frequency Technology TM
            - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
            - Master
            Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
            - Advanced / Professional
            Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
            - Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510
            Hampton, ON
            Appointment only
            Web site www.truelengthtechnology.com
            E-mail: danscustomgolfshop@hotmail.com

Comment

100% as I check them.
              10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
              16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
              20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
              4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
              Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

>I know my G400's are OK - I was fitted at Ping and TXG built the set.

So you *didn't* have your Pro check them ?

Comment

As does Dan, when we build a set we make sure we triple check every spec and our digital machines are calibrated often. We also have an analog one to compare to. Our specs are very tight.
                  Last edited by Phatchrisrules; Jun 5, 2019, 07:35 PM.
                  Fitter at Tour Experience Golf (T | X | G). Take your game to the next level at the world's ultimate golf club fitting studio.

See what we do/schedule a fitting here: https://txg.ca/

Get exclusive, members only content and prizes here:
                  https://www.patreon.com/tourexperiencegolf

Watch the newest YouTube videos here:
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDd...TZ9HuEnkGdPkCQ

T | X | G Merchandise and Galvin Green apparel:
                  https://txg.ca/store/

Comment

Originally posted by ondadl View Post
                    Depending on how often you play and the forging, it's a smart move to check your lofts once a year. Some do it more often, especially for wedges.
                    Spot on. Should be done for every iron in the bag.

I am guilty of not doing this often enough.

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 175,963   Posts: 1,845,762   Members: 47,514   Active Members: 265
                    Welcome to our newest member, HighCut.
                    Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                    X