Collapse

Best-value affordable beginner irons?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best-value affordable beginner irons?

Hello fellow nuts! I'm just getting back into golf but have never really had a full set of irons. Been swinging with a mixed bag for a while and I really want to get into a consistent swing with a matching set. Are there any suggestions for a good affordable beginner set? ($150-250 range).

Also, i'm a lefty and have really been struggling to find used clubs on kijiji/the classifieds. Any other secret places to look?

thanks in advance!

keep an eye out.

these look ok for asking 200.
    I am looking to sell my Cobra AMP 90 g (steel shaft) iron set (4-PW). I have used them the past 2 summers playing 5-10 rounds a summer. I bought them 2nd hand in very good condition. I personally have outgrown the weight in the shaft and am looking to buy heavier, stiffer clubs. They have virtually brand new GolfPride grips

you can also call or go to the Heartland Golf Town

TGN Banner.jpg Our Demo Event starts this Saturday, Nov 3rd at 8am sharp! In addition to the huge savings we'll have on gently used demo clubs, new clubs and

Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
    3W - Taylormade M4
    5 wood - Callaway X Hot
    4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
    Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
    Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

300 bucks for a set of Wilson's,https://www.golftown.com/en-CA/clubs...id=4-iron-sets

Comment

I'd get a used set of Eye2s vs new beginner clubs: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PING-EYE-2-P...AAAOSwJ6JdAS2S

IMO they are still great clubs (I just put my 30+ year old BeCu Eye2s back in the bag this year) and you can use them even as you get better.

FYI the lofts are much weaker than current irons e.g. my PW is 50.5 vs current PW ~46, but it won't make any difference as the number on the iron is just that.

Comment

A used set of Ping G-series irons can usually be had for $150 - $250 and are great options for a beginner. There wasn't much change from the G2 to the G20 line. The G25s were probably the best regarded before the newest sets. The i-series were slightly less forgiving, but also a good option (i5 through i25). My first real set once I got serious about golf was a set of Ping G2, 3HL through P, that I bought used, played for 7 years and would still be playing if I hadn't got a great deal on a nice set of Mizunos.

Other choices would be Callaway X-series/Big Bertha, Mizuno MX/JPX, Taylormade M2. There are some nice component clubs out there (Wishon, Maltby), but they would be harder to find in your price range.

Comment

try Global Golf Canada....there will a good selection of used irons to fit within your budget...they also have some good promo discounts ever now and then.

Comment

2nd on the Wilson suggestion!
              ...or checkout The Yard this weekend - always good stuff at great pricing - but not the selection that GT would have of course
              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Also, I'm a lefty and have really been struggling to find used clubs.

I feel for you lefties.
                Nothing in Global's barrel in that price range
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Globalgolf.ca is a good start but I suggest checking out your local Craigslist as well. Ping Eye 2s is a great choice for a beginner set but also consider the Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scots as well. They are tour proven and can be had for a song (I got a 1-SW set for $100 CAD). Most 3-PW sets are under $100. Also consider the Callaway Bertha Clubs from the 90s. They are also tour proven (Monty wont a boat load of tournaments with them) with 3-PW sets usually going for under $200 and they are some of the most forgiving clubs ever made by them.

Comment

Just told my cobra f6 set, but those are amazing irons, let alone for beginners. Keep your lookout for cobra irons, they are of great value.

Comment

golf avenue has a lefty set 3-pw of Cal X-14.

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                        try Global Golf Canada....there will a good selection of used irons to fit within your budget...they also have some good promo discounts ever now and then.
                        But look them up on Ebay first. They seem to discount their web prices. I saved $20 on a set of irons with the same $9.99 shipping. I think if you get to $200 the shipping is free.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

But look them up on Ebay first. They seem to discount their web prices. I saved $20 on a set of irons with the same $9.99 shipping. I think if you get to $200 the shipping is free.
                          Yes, I've read that too. But I'm having a hard time finding the Global Golf Canadian ebay URL/link...you got one?
                          Thanks.

Comment

I have this: https://www.ebay.com/usr/globalgolfca

Comment

My TM Rac graphite iron set just arrived. As usual "Value" condition was a lark. They are in excellent shape. Big thumbs up again for Global Golf Canada.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X