Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you play the same ball?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be my third round tomorrow. Still looks fresh out of the sleeve and have sucked playing with it.

Make it 4th.....

And on to 5.... Not a mark either.

I think I'm retiring it.... Round 5 completed.....
    Last edited by golfingtime; Jul 6, 2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
      Sometimes a new ball will has lasted only one stroke.
      Those are the worst. I'm left standing on the tee, speechless, thinking "that was sure worth $5"....

It's a very rare (and relatively low scoring) round that finishes with the ball it starts with.

Interesting to read about whether or not scuffs really matter. Or ball quality and design for that matter.

I'm occasionally stunned when I get a bird with 3 solid shots from an old found pinnacle or top-flite.

Apparently it's not the arrow.....
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

Each competition round gets a new ball.

That ball will go until the end unless lost, or it gets an eagle, at which point it is retired.

A second new ball does not get put into play unless I have a very good round going. I'm not breaking out a brand new pill to shoot 80.

Practice rounds get ex comp round balls.

Comment

Until the water fescue or woods decides it's not mine anymore
          Ping K15- 10.5 Driver
          Taylormade R11 15 Deg
          Titleist 910F- 21 Deg
          Callaway Razr- 24 Deg
          Titleist 913H- 27 Deg
          Callaway Diablo Edge Irons- 7-Gap
          Taylormade RBZ- 55 Deg Wedge
          Titleist Vokey- 60 Deg Wedge
          Ping Scottsdale Putter
          Sun Mountain Bag
          Home Course: Pine Knot London

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
            I played and caddied as a young teen in the late sixties and distinctly recall seeing so many balls discarded because of gashes in the skin cover, some minor, some significant.

You could distinguish between those gashes made by mowers and those made by thinned iron shots. As many balls were lost to being cut as were flying over the fence. Not really being able to afford new balls, we had to rely on used and found balls....but since they did not last as long, there seemed to be fewer decent ones to be had.

Today, one does not see that type of ball damage as frequently as 50 years ago. Today's balls are far more resilient.

Their usable life expectancy surpasses my ability to keep them in play.
            Exactly. How often do you come across a ball with a 'smile' now. Was quite frequent in the 1970's.
            And the Canada Cup balls which used to actually split into 2 pieces.

I consider it a 'very good round' if I do not lose a ball. A 'good round' if I end up with more balls than I started with.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Exactly. How often do you come across a ball with a 'smile' now. Was quite frequent in the 1970's.

I consider it a 'very good round' if I do not lose a ball. A 'good round' if I end up with more balls than I started with.
              If I didn't lose a ball, I'd be shocked. Recently I lost 3 balls on the front 9 and one more one the back. Cost me 7 shots, not to mention $$$

Comment

Canada Cup was my go to ball when I was a kid!

Comment

Canada Cups were AFAIK made by Spalding, but were they a Canadian Tire exclusive?

Same question for Match Play balls. I would get lots of these balls for Christmas, but they were noticeably worse in terms of performance aside from the gooey soft feel of them. OK, tangent over.

Comment

Canada Cup was also available at Consumers Distributing. And also sold in the pro shops/starters huts at the golf courses I played back then.

If I wanted to 'splurge' I would buy some orange Kro-Flites rather than Canada Cups.

Comment

Canada Cup was also available at Consumers Distributing. And also sold in the pro shops/starters huts at the golf courses I played back then.

If I wanted to 'splurge' I would buy some orange Kro-Flites rather than Canada Cups.
                      I remember buying the Canada Cups at Consumers; filling out the slips, then waiting as they went to the back to get the balls, and paying $5.99/dozen.

Comment

I rotate balls depending on the hole. My home course i have 2 nemesis holes. So, i play my "round" ball and when it comes to the nemesis hole, i break out the scuffed up version of the ball im playing. If it survives, then switch back to the "round" ball. After the "round" ball becomes too scuffed up to be cleaned by a ball washer, it then becomes a nemesis hole ball.
                        This way i am playing the same brand, version, golf ball all holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Papaof3 View Post
                          ...until it loses itself
                          This!

Comment

I'll play it as long as I can keep it and as long as it doesn't get scuffed.

Comment

Retired after 5 rounds (no scuffs or cuts). Played another 49 with new ball...... Am on a roll.

Comment

Originally posted by golfingtime View Post
                                Retired after 5 rounds (no scuffs or cuts). Played another 49 with new ball...... Am on a roll.
                                Well done on the in-play heater. But why retire it with no scuffs or cuts? To display it on a shelf?
                                I have a hole in one ball that made me wish I wasn't on the 4th round with it...looks like a mess that's been through 20 rounds.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 170,030   Posts: 1,777,725   Members: 46,476   Active Members: 288
                                Welcome to our newest member, jaxon.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X